A new stretch of the Brazos! At least for us...

MarkCM28

A new stretch of the Brazos! At least for us...

Post by MarkCM28 »

Clear, low flowing water? Sandbars with no (quick)sand? TROUT?!

Well, the beginning of Spring Break marked the time for a few friends and I to get out and camp on the Brazos for a few days. Only this time, the stretch we usually tromp around and camp on has pretty much been underwater since the fall. Once we saw it wasn't going to come down in time for our trip, we hastily decided to hop in the truck and head north, up to a place where legend has it that the Brazos River runs clear(?!). Where the river holds rainbow trout (!?!). A place where a step out of the boat doesn't mean mud up to your knees!
(My boat honestly came back cleaner than before the trip.)

On our way up to this legendary stretch of the river Friday morning, we passed over the Brazos on 485 west of Hearne. It was swollen and muddy. Large boulders that we had hopped around on a year ago at this time were completely submerged. A little while later, Lake Waco was also topped off with that familiar muddy water. My doubt grew that this legendary place could exist.

But lo and behold, four and half or so hours later, we arrived at Rochelle's and headed up to the 16 bridge. The river was crystal clear and beautiful. This was my first time to this part of the country and was blown away by the natural landscape. Truly stunning. Although I don't believe the pictures do the scenery justice, I'll post 'em anyway. That's what we're all here for, right?

Just about geared up and ready to go...

I like the simplicity and natural look of this bridge. It blends in with the landscape more than any other bridge I've seen.

Flint Bend, the first bend down from the bridge. On more than one occasion I tried to pull my roostertail through the first eyelet on the tip of my ultralite because I was starring up at this cliff. Folks, it's flat where I live.

I want to say this is around Garland Creek. The rock formations on these cliffs were incredible.

Garland Bend?

Some more of the scenery.

The biggest trout of the day.

I enjoy messing around with photography and sometimes I get lucky and end up with a picture I really like. This is one of them.

We made it about five or six miles down we guessed, and made camp on a gravel bar. Potatoes and trout for dinner. We were serenaded to sleep by the coyotes and out before 9.

Saturday morning's evidence of a chilly night...
...outside my tent at least.

Inside my tent was nice and toasty. I did not pack sparingly when it came to comfort. I had a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, pillow, and blanket. I slept as good as I ever have outdoors.
I'm the red one.

Up river from camp.

And downriver.
You guys more familiar with this stretch of the river may recognize where we were. It was a very scenic and unique stretch. (All of it was scenic and unique, but I really liked this spot in particular.)

After breakfast tacos and coffee, we were on the move again by 9.

We passed some more neat rock formations on Saturday.

We paddled most of Saturday, making around 16 miles, and stopped by Rochelle's along the way to let them know to go ahead and take our truck to the takeout downriver. After we passed them, we set up camp on the first gravel bar we found. Fried bass fillets and a corn/vegetable mix for dinner, and again, we were out pretty early. This time, with the coyotes sounding real close. It's always a good time listening to them.

Both mornings we were treated to turkeys gobbling. Sunday morning it sounded close enough that I set out on a turkey hunt (with my camera) but to no avail.

I did find some photogenic fog, however.

I also found a 'no trespassing' sign, so I headed back to camp. After another round of breakfast tacos and coffee, we were on the water again just before 10, new time. In actuality, we were starting only 8 minutes off from the previous day. I thought that was neat considering we were only using the time of day as a reference, not a schedule.

One last rock.

The last fishing stop for the trip.

And I like the way the landscape dwarfs them in this pic.

We made Rochelle's take out by about 2. It was a really neat trip. With this being the first time, we were most interested in seeing the country. Next time though, I would shorten the trip, and focus more on taking it slow and more fishing and drifting. The first 10 or so miles were really spectacular, and from what I've heard, holds the better fishing as well. In any case, it was a great time.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: A new stretch of the Brazos! At least for us...

Post by Mythman »

Great report and pics..........thanks for sharing.
Rod Pod

Post by Rod Pod »

Great pictures! The brazos looks so different now with the water being higher. When i was there the launch area had barely enough water to paddle in.
DNR

Post by DNR »

Good report, you got some nice pictures there too.
I guess we were behind you on the trip.
Ya'll didn't get caught in the rain that night?
You definitely had bluer skies than we had on most of the days.

That is a fun trip.
MarkCM28

Post by MarkCM28 »

DNR wrote:Good report, you got some nice pictures there too.
I guess we were behind you on the trip.
Ya'll didn't get caught in the rain that night?
You definitely had bluer skies than we had on most of the days.

That is a fun trip.
No, I guess we lucked out. We never saw any rain. I think the only clouds were on Friday.
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

Heck of a trip! Did I mention the scenery? Amazing! Good job guys! :clap:

On the very first picture (bridge), is that a carcass on the very lower right corner?

Thanks for the report!
Rod Pod

Post by Rod Pod »

peterpan wrote: On the very first picture (bridge), is that a carcass on the very lower right corner?
It was there when I went to the brazos which was over 2 months ago :shock:
Last edited by Rod Pod on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Mark, a great report and some really fine photos!!! :D
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Where are the food pic's :D :D did yall eat that trout ??? great post thanks :clap:
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

Great report and pictures, I've been canoeing this part of the Brazos for years. This is the most scenic section that the Brazos has to offer, great fishing with lots of good camping areas.....You got me itching for a river trip.
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

Rod Pod wrote:
peterpan wrote: On the very first picture (bridge), is that a carcass on the very lower right corner?
It was there when I went to the brazos which was over 2 months ago :shock:

Sorry :mrgreen: , it is on DNR's post on "Brazos River 30 Mile Camp Report" thread.

Anyways, very nice trip indeed! :clap:
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

Big beautiful country!! :clap:

Great report. really enjoyed the photo of the three kayaks with the gorgeous background. Wow. That's a framer.

Thanks for the report. You really captured the big skies and scale of the rock and terrain.
MarkCM28

Post by MarkCM28 »

larry long shadows wrote:Where are the food pic's :D :D did yall eat that trout ??? great post thanks :clap:
Sorry, no food pics, but yes, we ate that trout along with about 6 or 7 others. Deeeelicious! One of my buddies had a small silver cock tail that was bringing them in pretty good right before Flint Bend. I offered him 10 bucks for it on the spot! He rightfully declined. :wink:
Hirschhunter wrote:Mark, a great report and some really fine photos!!! :D
Thanks, Hirsch! Not too shabby of a job yourself! :D
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

You dont know how nice it is to look at post like this when you have been live-n in a motel for 2 weeks. I need a trip bad just a day would be a blessing.. Thanks again
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

So you went passed rochelles? I'm planning on doing an over night trip this weekend. I have fished the part just below 16 many times. From what I hear that's the best spot for fishing on the river.

Oh and I was there a couple months ago and that dead coyote was there but very stinky and freshly killed at the 16 bridge
Last edited by daveg99 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

I had no idea there were trout in TX! :? Great report!
CelticKid

Post by CelticKid »

Precious Memories
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Great pictures and report! Beautiful country!

Thanks!!

Ray