McCollum Park

hooger

McCollum Park

Post by hooger »

I heard a brief mention on the 610 fishing show that there will be a kayak launch at McCollum
Park when it re-opens. Any inside swcoop on when the opening will be and details on the launch.
Betty Croaker

Re: McCollum Park

Post by Betty Croaker »

I went there after the hurricane. It was a straight 14 foot drop to get to the water. I hope they fix it. It would really be awesome to launch there and be able to fish there again. This is all I found.McCollum Park Closed

Due to Damage caused by Hurricane IKE, and the construction needed to repair McCollum Park;
the park will be closed until further notice. Any Questions can be answered by calling the
County Engineer’s Office at (409) 267‐8379.
hooger

Post by hooger »

I read somewhere that they want to have a 30% slope to the water. That doesnt sound too bad to get a yak down
jimbotx2

Post by jimbotx2 »

It's the gittin' back up that I worry about.
Brizzonator

Post by Brizzonator »

I found this:

Friday, February 5, 2010
Calling McCollum Park’s Bluff

McCollum Park in Beach City, closed since Hurricane Ike, should reopen this summer, after Chambers County officials get a little work done: “The park sits on a bluff overlooking the bay and the edge of that bluff now sits about 20 feet farther back than it did before Ike. Wallace demonstrated that the damaged bluff is actually in worse shape than it looks at a casual glance. ‘Look up under there,’ he said, pointing out the problem. ‘It didn’t break off clean … the waves undercut the bluff. Somebody could stand there close to the edge and think it is safe and then the ground could just drop right out from under them. That’s the main reason we had to close the park,’ [County Commissioner Bill] Wallace said.” [Baytown Sun]