Public Hunting

Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Public Hunting

Post by Queyak »

I just got my public hunting license from Texas Park and Wildlife. This is my first year with it. If anyone out there has experience with public lands I could use a few tips. I don't want to show up on a field and find there are 60 hunters on it and another field had none. Also with the Deer land in east Texas are there feeders or stands or do you just show up and see what happens. ANy info would be great. Thaks.

Qeith
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

APH

Post by fryemup »

I use the APH for Dove(Daughtry), and for a Dove/Quail hunt (Chapparral WMA)
If thats what you are referring to. Never used it for Squirrel or Deer in the forest lands.

The dove fields require pre-scouting. I have gotten burned on many (I have actually hunted up to 4 different places in 1 day in search of a bird.)
I noticed some got removed this year. That was good, the ones close to my house hadn't seen a bird on in 3 years. (Single doves maybe flying by once and hour-to hour and a half). I have hunted 1 field, and had so-so luck, but the field down the road "slaughtered" em. So again, scout them out.

Some are loaded. Look at the "stats" pages in the back, and they will tell you where / what the numbers are.

Some fields have been removed -- probably due to the pathetic piles of garbage some of the hunters/abusers leave.

I have run into some nice folks,, and then some PITAs also.

There was a small field outside Devine or Dilley last year that had but loads of doves killed.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I live around San Antonio also. The dove hunts are pretty hit or miss, and most of the hits will be with a large number of hunters around you. Also, in my experience all of the good places for doves were shot out within a couple of days of the opening of the season. I finally gave up on these a couple years ago. Just decided that pay day hunts were worth it in terms of bang for your buck and also in terms of safety. I've had the best luck with these out in Castroville and Hondo.

I went for the first time on one of thes hunts yesterday, had a large milo field with only 2 other hunters in it, shot a limit, and paid $40. I'm probably going to go back on Saturday morning. If you'd like the name/number of the guy running the lease send me a PM.

For the deer, I believe most of the places have stands, because they want to be able to have the hunters stay in one place for safety reasons and also so they know exactly how many hunters they can put on a place at one time. I've never seen a feeder on one. Also, if you plan on doing this you should call ahead as early as possible as most places fill up early. My experience with these is limited to South Texas though.
Boar

Post by Boar »

there is a map book that comes with the aph permit some places give it to you when you buy it but most do not it should come in the mail in a week or so. it is important that you read through it as some of the rules are diff from state regs. as far as deer hunting on these places advanced scouting is a good plan and when hunting, try to get to the area u plan to hunt early and talk to the other ppl at the gate you can then decide if these are ppl you want to be in the field with most i have met have been ok always plan a alternate spot i once nearly sat in a guys lap it happens. some places are more crowded than others usualy with some reason (ie more game or closer to major town) on many places most ppl hunt within 300yds of a road or gate so goin deeper might get you more solitude im kinda ramblin now main thing is read the book when you git it. oh and unless things have changed recently most or all have no stands and only a few allow baiting and thats just for hogs
hope this helps and isn't too out dated been a couple yrs since i did the aph but realy enjoyed it

Boar
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I've seen tripod stands in Chaparral WMA and one other place down in the valley....can't remember the name.
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

WMA hunting

Post by fryemup »

Most of the WMA 's (Matagorda/Daughtry, Chapparral, Walter Buck) have a combo of blinds,

I have hunted in tripods at Matagorda, and Walter Buck, along with Box blind at Walter Buck)

Some of the hunts they actually asked who felt comfortable in what/where. Others it was just some sort of draw and you got what you got. Its been 9 years since I have drawn a hunt though.. Things change.

Best Hunt- Matagorda.. Damn there were a LOT of bucks down there, But very very wet and very very cold and very windy.

Going to Walter Buck I dropped my tranny on my 4x4 had to hitch a ride (try that sometinme.. 8pm, heading out of Houston, wearing camo, and carrying your rifle...-afraid to leave it with the truck.)
Sure enough I drew a tripod on a 4x4 road,,, my friends truck couldn';t make it, so I walked to the blind - past 4 other blinds... NOT something I ever want to do again. Saw a nice 10 pointer and let him live, I wasn't going to heft him back down past 4 blinds with hunters.

Post by guest »

Hey Boar. Do you hunt the Aquilla WMA? I'm looking for a place to hunt ducks from the bank. Do you see any deer there? Thanks
YakAg

Post by YakAg »

There are different types of public hunts in Texas. The one you seem to be talking about is the $40 permit with maps to numerous locations, for dove, duck, turkey, deer, or hog hunting. I have hunted several dove spots East of Houston and agree that you should check them out before hunting. For deer hunting, I have hunted several places in East Texas. Scouting is a must. Access is via walking, no ATVs. Although I have seen some stands on these public areas, most appeared to have been set up by locals who hunt there often. Also, this type of hunting is really a free for all. I have staked out a location, only to have numerous people walk by me during the day. Also, you are limited to buck only, even if the county allows does to be taken. The camping facilities on these public areas is usually a cleared area with markers on the trees. You must be willing to rough it.

Due to safety issues with this type of hunting, I will stick with the other type of public hunt. That is the Texas Draw hunts. These are very controlled, with fixed ground blinds or tower stands. You file for these hunts in late summer and find out a couple of months before hand if you have been selected. However, even if you are not drawn, if you show up the first morning, you can get on a wait list to hunt any open blinds. Also, keep filling each year for the same hunt in the same location and your odds go up for being selected.

My personal advice. File for draw hunts, bow, rifle buck, rifle either, hog, or whatever. Stay away from Public lands during rifle season. Dove, duck, and archery hunting on Public lands is good, but you will need to visit alot of locations and spend time in the woods. Not a bad thing. Have fun, be safe.
Boar

Post by Boar »

guest I used th hunt the aquilla wma quite a bit but since ive moved here i havnt hunted i did see deer and turkey there and i think there is some duckhunting there but i dont realy duck hunt if u want to come out scout it
id be more than happy to show you the access points and share my past observations etc

Boar
ROBDAWG

Public Hunting

Post by ROBDAWG »

If you bowhunt, Lake Amistad is a good place for deer and they have a couple of species of sheep. You can also hunt for ducks, quail, and dove. Of course this would be done with a shotgun. It is free to hunt there since it is a National Park. I have seen some pretty nice deer taken off of there. I just revieved my kayak today so I am a newbie. :D If you do bowhunt there is an area to hunt that is only accessible by boat and is supposed to be a really good spot. I have never hunted this area, but now I can. I am going to make an attempt at sending a link to the website. If you go to the left and click on activites and the scroll down and click on hunting it will give you a lot of info and maps.

http://www.nps.gov/amis/home.htm