Spring Break Trip

Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Spring Break Trip

Post by Hirsch »

Our school district is scheduled for spring break March 15-19. I am tentatively planning a 2-3 night camping and fishing trip starting just below Possum Kingdom dam from hwy 16 to hwy 4 or possibly 10 miles beyond using Rochelle's services. My thought are to go on weekdays when the crowds would be smallest and invite anyone who would like to join in.

Because the weather is so variable at that time of the year I will probably designate an inclement weather trip to the coast or the Neches/Village Creek area hoping the distance will provide a weather alternative.

None of this is locked in as to dates or alternative trips. I would welcome discussion on then idea of a group trip.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Spring Break Trip

Post by milret »

Sounds good. Village Creek is a nice area but getting Yaks in and out the water can be really a challenge as FireFly 49 and I found out. Camp area is primitive but decent. Yaking is great if the water flow is not high.
DNR

Post by DNR »

Looking forward to it.
I've been wanting to do this trip for several years.

The longer the better, but I'll do whatever works for everybody.
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

The Brazos below PK is one of my favorite paddles. I have never done the full 20 miles in the spring, but minus the winds it should be as good of a time as any. Runoff shouldn't effect this area that much, as the dam offer upstream flood control, and the 1st major feeder creek isn't until 10 miles.

My camping advise is to pack light. You will be drag once every couple of miles or so, but never for any long distances. You are off the main river channel if the river is too shallow to paddle. Camp on high ground, and you will see the plastic midden near the good spots. If they let water out, the river can rise in a hurry, especially in certain spots.

My fishing advise is to downsize, as with any clear water. Also don't pass up the first 3 miles, as I think the long riffle to Garland creek offers tremendous fishing. Water with visable movement that is over 1' will hold smallmouth and spotted bass. Largemouth will be in the more slugish water. My last trip was pretty good and we used 2-4" white and/or chartruese minnow baits. You might be just a little late for the trout fishing, but the striper fishing should be good at that time. Large trout patterns should work.

I have a few favorite campsites.

1) 3 miles - directly across from the mouth of Garland Creek. I have paddled down, camped, and paddled back up from here. Fishing is pretty good, even though you are towards the back end of the pool.

2) 6-7 miles - riffle and high gravel bar on river left. This is a small pool of water, but offers a great campsite. The house sized boulder across the river, hides a beaver dam.

3) 9-10 miles - Long island. The end is my favorite campsite. Fishing is lousy, but this is where crawford hallow comes in, and it is a fun place to adventure.

4) 13 miles - If you have read graves book, he talkes about 3 house sized rocks, and this is them. On the opposite side of the river is a nice campspot.

It is one of the most scenic floats of my lifetime, but it is flat flat flat.

I will be planning a may trip, and I am doing the same thing. I am going to the Glover River/Little River in SE Oklahoma or the Nueces.

Have a good trip.
DNR

Post by DNR »

Thanks CityByTheSeaCitizen.
Thats some good information.
It'll be my first time on the Brazos.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

CBTSC, thanks for the input. I made the trip last spring with my son-in-law doing it in one night which is why I will allow 2 this time. I want time to fish. :) We camped at the Island just above the 3 large rocks. I think I know the first spot and from what I remember your recommendations are sound. Of course you are welcome to join. :D
Last edited by Hirsch on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

CBTSC, thanks for the input. I made the trip last spring with my son-in-law doing it in one night which is why I will allow 2 this time. I want time to fish. :) We camped at the Island just above the 3 large rocks. I think I know the first spot and from what I remeber your recommendations. Of course you are welcome to join. :D
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Depending on weather, I would love to paddle this part of the Brazos!!!!!! Let me know when the plans are set!! :D
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Firefly49 wrote:Depending on weather, I would love to paddle this part of the Brazos!!!!!! Let me know when the plans are set!! :D
LOL, I had just logged back on and about to PM you on this so you would know. Also be watching this spring for a weekend trip on the Colorado if I can arm twist DNR into helping get it organized. :D
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Hirschhunter wrote:
Firefly49 wrote:Depending on weather, I would love to paddle this part of the Brazos!!!!!! Let me know when the plans are set!! :D
LOL, I had just logged back on and about to PM you on this so you would know. Also be watching this spring for a weekend trip on the Colorado if I can arm twist DNR into helping get it organized. :D
Twist his arm hard before I get so busy that I can't go.........
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Hirschhunter wrote:CBTSC, thanks for the input. I made the trip last spring with my son-in-law doing it in one night which is why I will allow 2 this time. I want time to fish. :) We camped at the Island just above the 3 large rocks. I think I know the first spot and from what I remeber your recommendations. Of course you are welcome to join. :D
We've got a baby in the oven, and 2 nights away aren't allowed.

As you found out, one night doesn't leave enough time for fishing. With my paddling style and endurance, it leaves no time for fishing.

I have only gone the 20 miles twice, but I paddle down and back up pretty regularly. I don't go past Garland Creek.

You can't beat live bait on this river. I posted a few trip reports where I mainly discussed catching bait. Hellgremites make easy targets if you don't have/pack a castnet.
DNR

Post by DNR »

Hirschhunter
Also be watching this spring for a weekend trip on the Colorado if I can arm twist DNR into helping get it organized.
You won't have to twist very hard. :lol:
I'm ready to get the camping season started.
I've got some new stuff I'm ready to try out.

I'll put up a post for that.

Yea, 3 days and 2 nights sounds good. I want to have time to play with those big fish I see posted from the Brazos.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

This is a great trip but ,folks be careful about rises on the river , I made the trip from 16 to 183 and we had a rise on the river over 8 ft in 30 minutes, so be careful.
Ron
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

bowgarguide wrote:This is a great trip but ,folks be careful about rises on the river , I made the trip from 16 to 183 and we had a rise on the river over 8 ft in 30 minutes, so be careful.
Ron
Come join us Ron!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Hirsch
I might do that but I need to wait a while before I commit.
Ron
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I have not forgotten this trip. I left a message with Rochelles and still trying to contact. I am trying to work a shuttle package with them.
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Hirschhunter wrote:I have not forgotten this trip. I left a message with Rochelles and still trying to contact. I am trying to work a shuttle package with them.
Be patient, I think their shuttle service is seasonal. You might not get a response for a few weeks or so.

They have been very good at answering questions in person and doing the delivery. However, they do not excel at customer service during the off season.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

CityByTheSeaCitizen wrote:
Hirschhunter wrote:I have not forgotten this trip. I left a message with Rochelles and still trying to contact. I am trying to work a shuttle package with them.
Be patient, I think their shuttle service is seasonal. You might not get a response for a few weeks or so.

They have been very good at answering questions in person and doing the delivery. However, they do not excel at customer service during the off season.
That is what I am afraid of. I am hoping Spring Breaks around the state may kick them into gear. I refuse to drive 4 hours each way in the hopes of catching them face to face setting it up. I don't know anyway to park and to pull out without using their property if I want to go one way.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I left messages on both their phones tonight having not heard back yet. Their site gives no indication what their season is. If I don't have something solid to propose by the first day or two of March I will plan an alternative trip quickly. Preliminary suggestions are welcome.

By the same token if someone had done a trip doing their on shuttle up there those ideas are welcome too.
M.saxatilis

Post by M.saxatilis »

Have no help on the shuttle thing.

With regards to water level, wouldn't the Army Corps of Engineers be a valuable resource in predicting water flow rates and levels?

M.saxatilis
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

M.saxatilis wrote:Have no help on the shuttle thing.

With regards to water level, wouldn't the Army Corps of Engineers be a valuable resource in predicting water flow rates and levels?

M.saxatilis
Yes, but right now I am concerned with logistics. Its too early to predict the river in mid-March.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Rochelle's got back to me last night and they will be open. Announcement of plans to follow shortly! :D
DNR

Post by DNR »

Good to hear.
I'm really looking forward to it, I need some new scenery.