Cypress Creek in Spring Fishing report:

AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Cypress Creek in Spring Fishing report:

Post by AyJay »

Went down to the creek late Sunday afternoon, figuring the flow slowing down a little with the warmer weather and changing weather conditions might turn on a bite. I fish about 2.5 miles upstream from I-45.

I bagged 2 largemouth, 2 crappie, and 2 white bass in about 20 minutes' fishing in one little 40 yard hole, and missed a couple more. One of each species was a solid keeper if I had been keeping. I think it's safe to say the white bass are well up into the creek systems. I got a couple on an orange headed roadrunner with a white curltail, and all the rest on a small plastic pumpkinseed crawfish jig. The bass were nuts over the crawfish jig, both black and white.

Sorry, no pics...forgot to charge my cellphone.
goneYAKcrazy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: cypress, tx / coles crossing 2011 Hobie Pro Angler, fully customized by gYc Boatwerkz

Re: Cypress Creek in Spring Fishing report:

Post by goneYAKcrazy »

AJ, id like to take a trip up the creek with you soon, upstream? is that west of 45?
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Yep, west of 45. I don't know how far up the white bass go, it probably varies by the weather and conditions. Cypress creek has a healthy and almost entirely unexploited bass population, but they're mostly not that large. Same with crappie.
Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Maulwalker »

My neighbor and I fished Cypress Creek further upstream Saturday. He landed one keeper channel cat, but everything else we caught were small. We caught pollywogs (yellow bullheads) and perch for the most part. If I had caught a gar and a grinnel, I would've had a trailer trash slam!

Glad to hear the whites are that far upstream. My buddy and I are going to put in at Edgewater on Saturday and paddle up to Jesse Jones and back in search of whites. Let me know if you want to go.
Dfusion

Post by Dfusion »

Maulwalker wrote: We caught pollywogs (yellow bullheads) and perch for the most part. If I had caught a gar and a grinnel, I would've had a trailer trash slam!
LMAO!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lusca

Post by Lusca »

Thanks Maulwalker...I almost spewed Dr. Pepper out my nose!!
chicken...

Post by chicken... »

Lusca wrote:Thanks Maulwalker...I almost spewed Dr. Pepper out my nose!!
I did spew Dr. Pepper from my nose and eyes and . . . .

LMAO :lol:
castawaydan

Post by castawaydan »

hey AyJay. by any chance do you use to wk at academy by rayford and sawdust?

anyway. i fished the creek close to jesse jones park and cought 5 big white bass like 2 weeks ago and then i went back 2 days ago and my dad cought a catfish on a lure. i had a good bite. whatever it was, it was huge, took my line really fast felt very heavy but then i lost it.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

I shop there, but never worked there. Hey, MW, I might try to meet you out there. See if we can find that hump that guy was fishing last year where he was pulling them out 2 at a time on that double rig.

I'd love to catch a little bullhead for my fish tank. What were you using for bait?
Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Maulwalker »

AyJay wrote:I shop there, but never worked there. Hey, MW, I might try to meet you out there. See if we can find that hump that guy was fishing last year where he was pulling them out 2 at a time on that double rig.

I'd love to catch a little bullhead for my fish tank. What were you using for bait?
Yeah, I have a pretty good idea where that hump was where he was catching the fish. That spot is definitely going to get a thorough investigation on Saturday. Now that I have a depthfinder, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pinpoint it. In fact I may pick up a few of those crappie doublerigs he was using.

As far as the bullheads, we were fishing with chicken livers. I found a couple of big, deep holes that I'm convinced hold some good fish, but we couldn't shake all the bait thieves. But I'm still excited about these new spots I found.