Big Bend National Park camping

livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Big Bend National Park camping

Post by livetofish »

All:

I am headed to Big Bend NP for the XMas vacation. We will be in the BB Village RV Park. I have read and re-read all the material. However, I would like to hear some recommendations and personal experiences, places to visit, gotchas like bad roads etc.

LTF
greasemonkey

Re: Big Bend National Park camping

Post by greasemonkey »

livetofish wrote:All:

I am headed to Big Bend NP for the XMas vacation. We will be in the BB Village RV Park. I have read and re-read all the material. However, I would like to hear some recommendations and personal experiences, places to visit, gotchas like bad roads etc.

LTF
Not sure where to start.The drive thru the park is awesome.
The basin area is awesome and the restraunt is good.
The starlight theater in terlingua is really good and the setting is
pretty cool.

Do not recommend crossing the river to some of the small villages
anymore[border patrol doesn't like that much].

Keep googleing the area and find what you like or contact the park and they will send you a package.

The river rd to presidio is one of the best scenic drives in the state.

IF YOU HIKE ANYWHERE BRING MORE THAN ENOUGH WATER!!!!!

Pm if I can help more!
redtarpon

Post by redtarpon »

I've been to Big Bend 4 times now, during the xmas vacation too, it's the best time of the year to go, perfect weather. I think the RV is in the chisos basin, correct? We always did primitive camping. Anyways, I highly recommend doing the south rim trail. Walking up to the edge from 30 feet away then arriving at the edge, it looks unreal. From there you can follow the rim left or right, back to the basin. Awesome views in either direction, but I personally like the right (west?) trail.

Also, hike up to Emory Peak. You will pass it on the way to the South Rim, but don't try to do both trails in one day, Emory Peak is quite exhausting. Also the Window Trail is a nice one too. I will upload some pics in a bit....

Big House:

Looking into Mexico from the South Rim:

Further west:

Emory Peak, looking south:

Emory Peak, looking at the basin:

Javelina on the Window Trail:
texasmonster

Post by texasmonster »

Must see's

Cattail Falls
Closed Canyon (out past Terlingua)
Balanced Rock
Hot Springs (this would be great for the winter)
Window
Dinner at the Starlight Theatre

It just depends on how long you are there. I could live there year round and never get sick of it.

If you go into the statepark be prepaired for a slow drive. The roads are all dirt and it takes a good while just to get there. If you are going for less than a week just stay in the National Park.