Airport Park, Lake Waco

TexasZeke

Airport Park, Lake Waco

Post by TexasZeke »

First let me start this by saying that about a month ago we traded campers. The new one is only a couple of feet longer, but has a slide out. If your ever faced with whether or not to get the slide, trust me get it. It's is more than worth the extra money.

This past weekend I turned the big 48 and the wife kept throwing out different things to do. I ended up settling on a "just us" camping trip. The boy was at Granny's, no in-laws, no kinfolk, no friends, just me and her at the lake. This was our first trip to Airport Park and I promise it wont be the last. This park was rebuilt a few years back and this was the first time I had been in it. In all truth we got lucky. It was largely empty, I'm assuming because of deer season, but even with a full crowd it's kinda spread out. The sites are nice, the restrooms and showers are clean, has some neat looking shelters if that's what you need. Even has a group site that I think holds 8 trailers with a big pavilion.

It probably has more fishable banks that any other park on Lake Waco, a nice boat ramp, and places to throw a yak in the water and fish around the marina.

Wait, forget everything I just said. There is probably plenty of other nice parks around that yall should go visit. Since this one is about 10mins. from the house we will probably be there pretty regular and I just as soon the park wasn't crowded...hehehe

this time I remembered to take some pics

the group site
one of the screened shelters
my wife loved this tree
our site, nothing to look at but the lake
some of the tent sites
just a picture I liked
my haul for the day. Only fished about an hour though
some of the trailer sites
perfect ending to a perfect birthday

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Airpo ... ampingSpot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevin
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Airport Park, Lake Waco

Post by RealBigReel »

Nicely documented.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Yes, thanks for that, Kevin. For whatever reason I've just never quite made it up to explore the country between Austin and DFW, and mean to correct the deficit someday someday with my faithful old pop-up. I'd never heard of this park; being a confirmed aviation nut, gotta ask: was there much air traffic (I looked at the map and saw the park right next to the field)?
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

There was some, think most of the commercial stuff drops off on the weekend, but yes most of the take offs pass right overhead

didn't think to mention it in my post last week on Speegleville Park but there is a real nice R/C airport outside of that park. Sometimes they have big fly ins and put on quite a show. I like the old war planes the best.

kevin