Maybe Moving to Surfside

FISH4EVER
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Maybe Moving to Surfside

Post by FISH4EVER »

Visited Bolivar(Home Before IKE) this weekend Super Trashy People so We are not going back there instead looks like we found a cleaner and better location On Surfside............Dont know much about the area so any help is help even if it is something simple.

If anyone has any info on this area could you please post up....fishing,Jobs,Grocery,Walmart,Academy or anything else(even it is something simple as Cable and Internet Providers to tobacco places)......only thing I know about the area is Team Ocean Kayak and great vids) Hope the Fishing is as great as I hear ......Thankx In advance .........Steve
Scottyboy

Re: Maybe Moving to Surfside

Post by Scottyboy »

Don't give up on Bolivar yet. They are rebuilding better, just takes time. Bolivar won't be Kemah for a long time which is great for me.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

If I had my choice, I think I'd pick Surfside over Bolivar. I have to have internet service. :wink:
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

I work in Freeport but don't live there and know a little about that area. Reasonable groceries (Randall's, Kroger in Lake Jackson), Academy in LJ, reasonable assortment of all the fast food places, don't know about tobacco. Dow and BASF are the big employers there - depends on what you do as to whether you have a chance. Prices for house in LJ are significantly higher than in Houston, that's a fact. There was one major capital project in Dow last year and it was hard to get people for it. I used to fish the surf and the bay area a lot and the jetty. My buddy caught his career best trout off the jetty - and he spends a week in LLM each year. One thing that would bother me about living in Surfside is the scenes of the flooding there during tropical storms or hurricanes.

Admittedly there is more there than in POC - I don't even know if there is a doctor or a clinic in POC and groceries either come from the big gas station/convenience store on 185 or its all the way back into Port Lavaca or Victoria.
hdcowboy
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by hdcowboy »

I used to live in Surfside about 25 years ago, it was a fun little town, like Bolivar basically though. A lot of folks had vacation homes there. I dont remember no grocery stores there or nothing most of the businesses were in Freeport (grocery stores, banks, ect.) I worked out at Dow for a contractor back then, thats where most of the work was.I remember one thing that really sucked about it back then and that was on any given holiday weekend youd better stay home or if you leave plan to be gone all day because that bridge got crowded as hell with everyone heading to the beach on them big weekends, of course now I believe they widened it to 4 lanes each way so it might be better but I could be wrong.