Backpacking Bastrop State Park 11/7 - 11/8/09

beljason

Backpacking Bastrop State Park 11/7 - 11/8/09

Post by beljason »

Finally got a chance to get back outside with boys. Im trying to finish up my work at grad school, and its just been hectic. Julie really wanted to go out this time too, but she thought it was too cold for a canoe trip, so we decided to find somewhere to go backpacking within a reasonable distance of Waco. Dinosaur Valley was booked, but on searching I found Bastrop SP, which I had heard of but never looked into. There is a 6.5 mile horseshoe trail called Lost Pines trail, which allows for primitive camping along that trail. No set campsites, just find a spot and camp. No fires allowed though, and I can see why, the whole place is carpeted with dry pine needles. It is a really beautiful area, and the big loblolly pines really reminded me of backpacking back home in Georgia. We havent been backpacking since before we had kids (almost 7 years now), and hauling gear for 3 kids plus yourself is a lot different than going it alone. We made it work out pretty well though, and Im looking forward to doing it again soon. The worst part of the matter is that there is no decent water soures in Bastrop SP, so you must pack in all water.
Since mine and Julie's packs were heavy with gear and water (35 and 27lbs each), we decided to let Jack who is almost 7 take a pack with his sleeping bag, clothes, and a couple of water bottles for him (bag weighed total 11lbs 7 oz). Nolan is 4 took a little backpack with his clothes, water bottles, some snacks, and our cups (~5 lbs). Eli who is 2 just had to carry himself for the 3 miles in and 3 miles out.
Anyway, on with the story!

Here are Jack and Nolan at the trailhead, packs loaded, ready to go!

And then 30 minutes into the hike, at the old road bed. Nolan discovered he loves "beef turkey" and was chewing piece after piece the whole trip. We stopped to rest about every 30 to 45 minutes and the boys hauled their packs the whole trip without complaint.

I have to mention too, that this entire trip the boys were emulating Survivorman. Not that showoff Bear Grylls, but the real survivorman, Les Stroud. Anytime there was a small pine tree that they could reach the needles on, they would pull off a handful and stuff them in Nolans pack so that we could boil them for "pine needle tea" like survivorman does. They also picked up and ate a couple of grasshoppers each, because thats what survivorman does. And of course I couldnt be shown up by a 4 year old, so I had to crunch down on one too. Not that bad really. Wouldnt want to do it again if I didnt have to though.

We hike in ~ 3miles ( we werent sure how far at the time because we left the map in the car!). We averaged about 1 mph taking so many breaks with the kids.
Camp finally setup.

Why is it that every boy MUST beat the hell out of a tree with a stick anytime they are in the woods? I remember doing it, my brothers did it, nephews did it, Jack does it. Must be engrained in us.

And in true survivorman style, they built their own shelter with a bit of rope and tree branches.

Here is the Les Stroud special, pine needle tea. Turns out it wasnt piney at all, actually kind of citrusy.

After Tuna Mac for dinner, we did a little night hiking, saw some giant wolf spiders, did a little stargazing through the treetops, and hit the sack early. Next day we packed up and started out the way we came. We were pretty sure Eli's little legs couldnt make the rest of the loop back (the horseshoe is 6.5 miles, but the loop back to the car would be 8.5, so we would have 5.5 miles to go out, and he barely made the 3 in).

On the way the boys picked up a tiny frog which turned out to be the endangered Houston Toad which a lot of the park is used to protect them.
Further along I spotted this huge ant colony complex. It was ~15 ft x 15ft square. Looked like big fire ants. As we got back on the trail we noticed a long line of leaf cutter ants (atta texana) along the trail carry pieces of leaf back toward the colony. I didnt realize we had these in the US. They are amazing little creatures.

For our test trip backpacking with the kids it went spectacularly. It was a beautiful place. I was really impressed with how well the boys held up hauling their own packs. Now we just need to find some more places that are suitable to backpacking, that arent too far away (and maybe has a river or creek to do some flyfishing in!).
Stevereno

Re: Backpacking Bastrop State Park 11/7 - 11/8/09

Post by Stevereno »

Sounds like a great time.
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Awesome report. I commend your bravery but do find that everytime I keep my kiddos out hiking, they behave better! You might check out Lost Maples State Park as I believe it has a hiking trail with some good fishing reported up on the Sabinal. Definitely fly fishing water! I have read about it in a Fly Fishing Texas Freshwater book by Phil Shook. Again, way to go dad!
Matt
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Great looking family with camping spirit. You are a lucky man. The dog looks older than your wife?
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

Reading your great report makes me realize what a WUSS I've become at camping! I haven't backpacked in over 30 years! I will say that Bastrop is a really nice park with the pine trees. We camped there (in a camper!) back in June and even though the heat was brutal and they had a burn ban, it was a nice change up from some of the other state parks that we have been camping at. I hope to return soon!
johnboy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnboy »

Why is it that every boy MUST beat the hell out of a tree with a stick anytime they are in the woods? I remember doing it, my brothers did it, nephews did it, Jack does it. Must be engrained in us.

LMBO!!

What a great report. jb
DNR

Post by DNR »

That is too cool. :clap:
A survivorman trip.
I don't think I could eat the grasshopper though, I'd have to stick with the jerky.

Thanks for the report.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I enjoyed your report immensely. Thanks for posting up. Makes me want to sell the camper and pack in the gear! You are brave parents to take your kids on that adventure. Good Job! :clap:
VinnysquidTX

Post by VinnysquidTX »

Great report! :clap:
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

Forever Fishing wrote:Makes me want to sell the camper and pack in the gear!
NAH! :wink: :lol: :D
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

What a wonderful story and beautiful family yall did good.... You need tee shirts that say I ate a Grass hopper at Bastrop
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

What a great report - thanks for taking the time to get the pictures and story up for all to read.

One day I am going to get off my seat, pack some stuff and just go. I am tired of being envious of the campers...
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

Awesome report!! Thanks for sharing!!!
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

beljason - great report - great pics - such KEWL fun with your family