Colorado River Camp Report

DNR

Colorado River Camp Report

Post by DNR »

Me, Hirschhunter and the Garfield guys did the 13 mile trip. We put in at the FM973 bridge and went down to Garfield.
I'd never met Hirschhunter and was a pleasure to do the trip with him.
The LCRA has reduced the flow and I was afraid there would be alot of paddling on this trip, but the river was flowing just right to fish.

I mention this starting spot alot so here is what it looks like.
One of the road departments cleaned and fixed it up last year. Nice place to launch, a little muddy but not bad.

Cool air and warm water got the fog going.

The first few miles is shallow so we cruised down to the first good fishing areas.
My favorite fish to catch off the river is big Drum. At the beginning of the Austin Colony bend I got my wish. I felt a thump, set the hook and the drag started peeling off line. I was using my good bass rig, bait caster with braid and the drag real tight with a small jig and trailer so I knew this was a big fish.
It fought me for severial minutes and then surfaced. The biggest drum I've ever caught, matter of fact, the biggest drum I've ever seen. Judging from the ruler I had in my lap it was 28". While I was trying to figure out how to get it in my lap the hook finally bend enough for it to get off. Probably best, I didn't want to lose rods or hurt the fish.

A few cast latter and the familiar thump again. This one was not as big but nice. About 23"-24".

It turned out to be a beautiful day, no wind and a big blue sky. Normally a bluebird sky isn't good for fishing but on a river the fish don't care.

Hirschhunter getting ready to fish the up coming cover.

The Garfield guys; Jay and Kevin, fishing hard.

Fall and Winter when the water gos down are when the Large Mouths come out. They all had big guts. A nice one.

Hirschhunter got severial from this spot while we took a break.

The LMB just keep coming, I got 3 over 16" before we got to camp.
This guy was fat.

And the river is full of the Guad x Smallmouth. A tenacious fighter and beautiful markings, I love catching them.

My bait - a coulpe of years ago I discovered the jig and trailer for river use. I'd used them on the lakes but on one trip I tied one on a caught fish left and right. Not just bass like the jig, my biggest drum and catfish on the river came from a jig. I use a 1/8 to 1/4 oz depending on the flow. For trailers I like the Zoom Swimming Chunk or a red Yum Craw.

We get to the camp island around 4pm ready to kick back relax. This island is about 9.5-10 miles down from the put in. It's one of the best I've found any where on the Colorado. Big, acres, with a nice sandy area for camping, and lots of woods to explore.

My new home; not very big. I can't even change cloths in it, which should make for so interesting camp outs, but sleeps just fine.

It was getting time to eat and I had a special treat, venison backstrap. Along with veggies in foil.

Between dinner and a nice fire it was bed time.

We slept in untill 8am. No need to rush, all our equipment was covered in dew and need to dry out before we left.
Lots of coffe and some egg tacos got us going.
Oh Hirschhunter, the boys really enjoyed that coffe.

Back on the river and just past the island Jay yelled out "I got a catfish". I look over and Kevin is fighting something big, another catfish.
Hirschhunter said he needed something to take back to the wife and collected the fish.
Here's Kevin's-

Both were caught on Blue Fox inline spinners.

It was a short trip back to Garfield all catching a few more bass along the way.
The last surprise of the day was when Hirschhunter yelled over to somebody at Little Webberville Park as we went by, it was Beve.
We hung out and talked a while. Good to see you again Beve.

This was one of my favorite trips in a while, goods friends, a new friend, good fishing and weather - what can you say.

Really nice to meet you Hirschhunter, will do it again.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Re: Colorado River Camp Report

Post by Randy »

Man,,,,, that looks like it was a great trip,,,
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

First let me say that this was DNRs show. He posted an invite and I accepted in the forums. Going with David is kinda like going with Randy. You might as well leave your groceries at home. :D

I met David and his two young understudies about 8:30 Saturday morning at the river and unloaded. I puttered a bit while Jason and Kevin went ahead and packed the Loon 138 rigging my 3 rods (I travel with practice plugs to prevent hooking someone or something). Shoving off about 9:40 David and I soon caught up with the young ones. David is not telling you this was his birthday trip! :lol:

We traveled easily along loafing and fishing as we went catching Davids drums and a mix of bass,mostly small. But we did catch a few decent spots and largemouth releasing all. Landing late afternoon we set camp and got comfortable for the night. David fed us more fine backstrap than we could eat along with foil packets of carrots, onions, potatoes cooked in coals with butter and seasonings. The old man of the group I crash about 8:30 and David said he went down about 10:00. David's apprentists carried on until about midnight they said. I am not quiet sure what was in the air but I was first awake at 7:30 and got coffee started. The others soo came crawling our and we all got our first shots of Java. With that 8 cup pot gone I started another. In the meantime David whipped up some soft egg tacos. I offered up some mandarin orange and peach fruit cups as breakfast was served. We got things packed up at a leisurely pace with a bit more picture taking and launched for our last day. We stretched it out mostly floating and fishing no one in a rush to get back home. Jason and Kevin at one point had the two catfish on at the same time. One was using an inline spinner and I am not sure the other. They were about to release them so I volunteered to relieve them of their load. That fed my family well Sunday night with enough left for my lunch on Monday. My wife thanks you guys,

We did see Beve who came down to meet us. We chatted a bit and caught up on a lot. It was the first time I had seen Beve since he and I did the Lampasas River in January 2008. It as great to see him.

From there it was a short trip to DNRs were we loaded up and I got on the way. David set up a quality trip and I appreciate his efforts. Kevin and Jason were good companions as well.

I left from a great trip with preliminary plans for another trip with Him and Beve in the works. Thanks David. :D
BdaddyG

Post by BdaddyG »

WOW!!! that looks like a great trip. thanks for the report and pics
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Nice report. Thanks for posting lots of photos. The campfire at night photo was my favorite. When I used camp more, I always liked a small tent to store all of my equipment in at night to keep all the heavy dew off of it.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Thanks for the report. Looks like a great place to paddle and....catch BIG DRUM! WTG! :D
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Night Wing wrote:Nice report. Thanks for posting lots of photos. The campfire at night photo was my favorite. When I used camp more, I always liked a small tent to store all of my equipment in at night to keep all the heavy dew off of it.
I have been known to carry either a cheap 8'x10' poly tarp that I keep in my truck or go dig out and old 7'x7' nylon tarp for that purpose. They are small, light and involve almost no set up time.
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

Excellent report fellas. 8)

You always fish and eat good on a trip with DNR. He really knows the Colorado.

And he always gets his drum...wow those are nice ones.

Sounds like good food and friends....

David and Paul good to see you both and hopefully next time on a kayak :wink:
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

I would like to go next time. Could someone pm me when you guys make plans.

Thanks,
Robert
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

On the Guad wrote:I would like to go next time. Could someone pm me when you guys make plans.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert, I will try to remember. The main thing is just watch these boards for announcements.

David announced he and a friend were making the trip issuing an open invitation. I asked questions about details of his plan and then signed on. I had never met David before. It was a great trip.

By the same token MILRET issued an invitation to Harmon Creek in East Texas and I jumped on it. I met him, Firefly and Randy with his brood. All are fine people that enjoyed good company and good food.

I have had a few good solo trips on the Brazos near Marlin simply by picking the minds of the locals after they posted reports. Bowgarguide was kind enough to take an afternoon and give me a bit of a tour upriver. I enjoyed half a day of his company before he headed home and I set camp.

I made a great trip with my son-in-law last May below Possum Kingdom simply by reading reports and talking to the livery service. I also did my first over night on the Colorado as a solo after someone posted about Cook's Livery.

So I would say watch and read being alert for chances. In the way of a general announcement Beve, Dave and I are starting tenative plans for a 2-3 night run on the Brazos below Possum Kingdom during Spring Break in March with the emphasis on fishing and camping at a liesurely pace . I am sure there will be a few loops and turns as we go with some dropping ut while others join. If it comes to fruition I will issue an open announcement.

My best advice is keep your eyes and ears open. Grab the open invites. Don't be afraid of the simpler solos. A nights solitude can be good for almost anyone. Plan your on trips and invite others.
redtarpon

Post by redtarpon »

Looks like you guys had a great time! Great pictures. I gotta do this part of the colorado after reading this report! Camping looks like fun, and with the campfire? It's definitely a must do. My current friends are too lazy to use their kayaks, so I will be looking back here and other sites for upcoming trips :) any more room for an apprentice?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

redtarpon wrote:Looks like you guys had a great time! Great pictures. I gotta do this part of the colorado after reading this report! Camping looks like fun, and with the campfire? It's definitely a must do. My current friends are too lazy to use their kayaks, so I will be looking back here and other sites for upcoming trips :) any more room for an apprentice?
Theres always room, just watch for announcements. On the Guad seems to be looking for something this weekend. Maybe you two can hook something up. Remember that Cook's is available to arrainge shuttles.