Ideas for hauling kayaks with 5th wheel hitch in bed ?????

Bigbarr

Ideas for hauling kayaks with 5th wheel hitch in bed ?????

Post by Bigbarr »

Not sure if im posting this in the right section but it does pertain to camping, sorta , lol.... The wife and I have a 28 ft cougar 5th wheel , we were recently at Goose Island state park for a week, I have a Ride 135 and she has a Marquesa 14 ft,, I am lucky enough that I can fit both in the RV while traveling,,, the problem is wanting to transport the yaks elsewhere once im there,, I have a bed extender and used it this past week when at Goose Island to go to friends house at Salt Lake, I put the kayaks in kinda sideways on each side of the 5th wheel, but they dont strap down very well,, or ride very well like that,, Ive thought about a Thule Xsporter but not to sure how easy of a time I would have loading and unloading on top with the wife..... and storage of the Thule when traveling with the RV,,,,,,, anybody with the same problem ? I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts on this.................................. Bigbarr
uno-mas

Re: Ideas for hauling kayaks with 5th wheel hitch in bed ?????

Post by uno-mas »

I use my bed extender in the upright position and transport the kayaks over the cab of my truck. It works well and keeps the bed free.
Nim Rod

Post by Nim Rod »

I have a travel trailer but want to upgrade to a 5th. The kayak issue keeps me from doing it.
I would like to know more about how you get 2 yaks in the rv for traveling. As for the Thule, I have one and the problem with
what you want to do is that you would have to completely remove it from the bed, as the 4 base units would interfere. This is
doable but it takes some time...as far as storage I think you could get it in your rv basement.
I know that someone makes a quick in/out 5th wheel hitch..I think thats the way I would go, and use your bed extender, which
I'm sure is easy to pack in the rv.
I've seen enough examples of the yaks over the roof and hood...I would not like the "car hauler" feeling that set up has.
osok

Post by osok »

On the 5th wheel hitch I had it was held down to the rails with 4 pins. Pull the pins and remove the hitch; the bed rails stay because they are bolted in. The rails are only about 1 to 1-1/2" inches tall and do not hinder carrying the yaks. Use your bed extender to balance the yaks in the bed and strap down. Another method is to pull the rail pins on the hitch when ready to disconnect trailer and as you lift the trailer the hitch will stay attached to 5th wheel pin and will just hang on the trailer pin leaving your bed empty. When ready to rehitch just back under the hitch and lower trailer until hitch is about 1 or 2 inches above bed and then pull the hitch release to drop hitch into bed. Realign hitch and reinsert 4 pins and then lower trailer pin back on hitch, secure cross bar and you are ready to tow.

Hope all that makes sense.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Get someone to build you a bar that hooks in your fifth wheel hitch and rest on the rails of the truck set the bed extender high load them and go.
Ron
Bigbarr

Post by Bigbarr »

[quote="easily yakked"]I would like to know more about how you get 2 yaks in the rv for traveling.

The way my Cougar is set up, just to the left of my door is the recliner (chair), so its pretty much an open area, With the slide out open,Coming in at the most extreme angle i can get, I can walk my wifes 14 ft Marquesa all the way in to the corner of the dining table, then turn to lay it in the floor on its side, it lays a little bit up on the stairs going to the bedroom, then I bring in my Ride 135, its a little bit smaller at 13.6,,, I can bring it in at an angle and lay it on the dining table , angled back toward the door, and close my slideout with it in that position, we put some quilts in and around the yaks to protect things , so far they have never moved while traveling,,,,,,,,
Bigbarr

Post by Bigbarr »

[quote="osok"]On the 5th wheel hitch I had it was held down to the rails with 4 pins.

I thought about that one,,,Mine has the 4 pins also but I wasnt sure how easy it would be to line it back up when im ready to break camp, plus I was thinking about how easy it would be for someone to steal the hitch while i was away,,,, thanks for the input
Bigbarr

Post by Bigbarr »

bowgarguide wrote:Get someone to build you a bar that hooks in your fifth wheel hitch and rest on the rails of the truck set the bed extender high load them and go.
Ron
Thats a good idea bowgarguide,,, My father in law is a pretty good fabricator, plus that would be pretty easy to store while pulling the trailer ! Im gonna look into that ,,, Thanks
Bigbarr

Post by Bigbarr »

uno-mas wrote:I use my bed extender in the upright position and transport the kayaks over the cab of my truck. It works well and keeps the bed free.
I really was trying to get away from loading them high and over the cab,,, thanks for the input,,,
osok

Post by osok »

If concerned about thief, pull the two pins that hold together the hitch and place two parts of hitch inside camper when gone fishing. With hitch in two parts it's not heavy and easily carried inside camper.

Don't worry about getting hitch to align back with rails to reinsert pins. I never carried my hitch around in truck; always removed and stored in garage between trips so my bed was always available if needed.
Bigbarr

Post by Bigbarr »

osok wrote:If concerned about thief, pull the two pins that hold together the hitch and place two parts of hitch inside camper when gone fishing. With hitch in two parts it's not heavy and easily carried inside camper.

Don't worry about getting hitch to align back with rails to reinsert pins. I never carried my hitch around in truck; always removed and stored in garage between trips so my bed was always available if needed.

Thanks for the ideas Osok,, might give it a try !