Navasota /Brazos River overnite trip report

Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Navasota /Brazos River overnite trip report

Post by Randy »

Well I made it back home, carried Tristan in, he was plum tuckered out, unloaded, cleaned up and realized I only took one picture all weekend. Thankyou everyone for coming,,,,We had a very good camping trip, I am still pumped for the next trip.!!!!
Hopefully the rest of the gang will post up later.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Navasota /Brazos River overnite trip report

Post by Hirsch »

I am glad it went well! :D
BdaddyG

Post by BdaddyG »

Randy
Its was great to meet you and the others. we had a great time. and hope to do it again soon. Jill we post pics tomorrow since I have no computer skills. :lol:
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

WHOO-HOO :!: :!: :!: WHAT an adventure that was.....ya'll made it a memorable one for sure!! Sure, we got a little wet a few times......and the take-out was a bear with the slippery-slide (Gabriel, thanks a whole bunch for coming back and getting me unstuck!) And Randy, what can I say but just.......WOW! Especially your culinary capabilities with the 1st Class campfire meal.....the beans and sausage, the cornbread, the TKF APPLE PIE........yummy.... you totally outdid yourself.

Once I get my battery charged to download pic's, I'll post up what I have. In the meantime.....well.....I'm going to bed early :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

Well, that was the most wonderful, fantastic, relaxing, adventurous, fun trip so far. Randy - was a great lead. Thanks for all the help, especially for me on the trip home...I owe you many (and you know what I mean.)

I said this around the campfire, but it's worth repeating - I have never met a more giving, friendly, easy-going group of people than the people that post on this site. Not just the 8 of us that thumbed our noses at the rain, but all the TKFers I've met.

If you ever have the chance to paddle or camp with any of those that went on this trip DO IT! :!: And if Randy ever says "if you can get a fire going, I'll cook dinner" Burn your yak if all else fails. :lol:

Here's the photos BDaddyG and I took before our batteries died.
Under the Bridge
Getting underway
Floating the Navasota Leg
Campsite Sandbar
Dinner
Can we do anything to help?
It's okay, I've got my helper
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

After Randy put dinner on the fire, our camera got put down...Hopefully Narcy will post up the pics she took of Dinner. And what a dinner it was. Every thing made from "scratch"...yes I saw Randy scratch that cornbread package and the apples he canned the night before and the pie crust package...not to belittle Randy. That was amazing! :shock: And when Randy pulled out the CoolWhip :shock: HOLY COW.

It wasn't until morning that we picked our camera back up.
Waiting for the coffe to perk is the hardest part
that's not mist...it's smoke from the fire.
All packed up and ready to paddle back up the Brazos to the takeout point.
Unfortunately our batter died after this photo. Again I will default to Narcy for photos of the take out.
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

There were some hysterically funny points in the trip, but I'm bound by River Rules not to discuss them. :?

Oh what the hell... :wink:
BDaddyG - when you rolled out of your chair, well that was too funny. Especially for me, honey, since it's usually me that manages to trip, fall, or injure myself. And don't worry, we'll replace your hat.

Randy - all that needs to be said is "Rabbit"

And then there's the classic - "I don't snore, I purr."

I still want to know what those fella's across the way were doing? They sure seemed to be having fun, very late into the night.

Thanks to each of you for the laughs, the tips, the memories and the help.
BDaddyG and I are both a little fatigued but we slept good. Now for the arduos task of cleaning all our gear and getting ready for the next trip.

AND WE WILL GO ON THE NEXT TRIP. Just better prepared for the task. Oxygen for sure.

We would have enjoyed having more along, but couldn't have asked for a better group a people to hang out with. :D :!: :lol:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Glad you had a good trip and came back safe.
I watched the radar and it looked like you were getting a lot of rain.
Ron
DNR

Post by DNR »

Looks like a great trip ya'll.
Nothing more relaxing that sitting in sand and watching a river go by, esp. with good food.
It looks like the water was moving pretty good there in some spots, little rapids?

Maybe I'll make the next one.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Personally, I had an absolute blast....and what a fun group we had!!!!. Ya'll are absolutely great and I look forward to more trips. Nor can we blame Rodney for bringing the rain down with him from Dallas this time....it was already here :lol: Yes, we're all plumb tuckered out; that take-out was one muddy slippery-slide (thanks Gabriel for getting me unstuck!!! ).....and, yes, we got a little wet at times but so what :lol

Randy, you absolutely went overboard in making this trip a memorable one for all of us...especially with your culinary skills...yum-m-m-m-m!!! After that, I just may start complaining about MRE's after all :lol: :lol:

Sorry folk's, what pic's I have are mostly duplicates of others and not near so nice. NOTE: One brand new water-proof camera being returned to the store!!!!! This is the second time the battery didn't hold a charge for me past 20 photos.......so much for the "800+ photos" on a charge!!!

Let's see....next up? I guess it's back to Harmon Creek this weekend for some fishing!
I'd love to know how many POUNDS of gear this held!!!!!!!!
I'd love to know how many POUNDS of gear this held!!!!!!!!
Attachments
There's just something not right when someone's walking around in nice, bright and clean shoes when everyone else is up to their ankles in mud!!!!!!!!!
There's just something not right when someone's walking around in nice, bright and clean shoes when everyone else is up to their ankles in mud!!!!!!!!!
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Looks like ya'll had a great trip. I need to make the run down from Waco sometime and join you and Randy. The Brazos up here in my neck of the woods is a mess right now.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Firefly49
Just think some women pay big bucks for a mud pack and you get it for free.
:D
Ron
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

I had the best Monday in a while,, all the way to the office thismorning,,,, I wasn't stressed out thinking about work,,,,,I was just grinning, and yep even got teary eyed a few times,,,,even though Tristan was asleep all the way home and I carried him in the house, he was still asleep,,,,, when he woke up I had to set the Tent Cot up in the living room so we could "sleep in the tent"

He only had 2 bad moments all weekend,,, he said skip the beans,,,,, he wanted apple pie, and I gave in,,,,, he was the first to sample the apple pie,,,,,, then on the way up river,,,, as tears were rolling down his cheek all he said agazillion times was " I want my paddle" I want my paddle" he didn't want to share his kayak paddle,,,,,

Everyday is precious and this weeknd ranked way up there.... Rain and all,,,,,,,,, I told Tristan the Angels were crying and that caused the rain and they were bowling when it thundered.....don't know if he understood, but he didn't get scared ......
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Randy
You are doing the right thing,way to fast he will be grown.
Ron
Mrs.Fatrabbit

Post by Mrs.Fatrabbit »

Well I went a bit camera happy!!

I must say we had a great time. Enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Great group of people!!! As for Randy thank you so much for putting this together and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for cooking dinner for us. That was just AWESOME!!!!! :clap:

Rain or shine we are ready for the next trip!!! :dance:

Arriving at the camp site

Camp site set up

Randy getting ready to cook up some good food!!!!

The guys getting the fire ready for Randy to cook

Triston making marshmellows!!

LadyBug helping out with dinner

All I have to say is WOW

We even got Cornbread

Rodloos giving us a demostration on how to start a fire in the rain

Rodloos getting more wood for the fire

And he got the fire going in the rain!!! Go Rodloos!!!!

Randy pulling the kayak/canoe up with a winch
Mrs.Fatrabbit

Post by Mrs.Fatrabbit »

Randy wrote:I had the best Monday in a while,, all the way to the office thismorning,,,, I wasn't stressed out thinking about work,,,,,I was just grinning, and yep even got teary eyed a few times,,,,even though Tristan was asleep all the way home and I carried him in the house, he was still asleep,,,,, when he woke up I had to set the Tent Cot up in the living room so we could "sleep in the tent"

He only had 2 bad moments all weekend,,, he said skip the beans,,,,, he wanted apple pie, and I gave in,,,,, he was the first to sample the apple pie,,,,,, then on the way up river,,,, as tears were rolling down his cheek all he said agazillion times was " I want my paddle" I want my paddle" he didn't want to share his kayak paddle,,,,,

Everyday is precious and this weeknd ranked way up there.... Rain and all,,,,,,,,, I told Tristan the Angels were crying and that caused the rain and they were bowling when it thundered.....don't know if he understood, but he didn't get scared ......

Triston is such a great kid. He didnt even complain when we were paddling down the river in the RAIN!!! He just sat there and enjoyed the ride. I was trying to keep count on how many times he said "I want my paddle"........lost count!!! LOL

He is precious!!!!
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Wow what a great trip! Super pictures which tell it all! Nice job and thanks for sharing. 8)
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Those photos are awesome, Narcy!!! You have now become our official photographer.....guaranteed a spot on any future trips!!!! For me, the one major highlight that will remain in my memory of this trip is finally....and I mean......FINALLY...... having the company of other females that not only take an active interest and pleasure in these outings and can laugh at adversity, but will be great friends for many future trips together :!: The yakity-yak bunch!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

It looks like yall had plenty of dry skys between the rain to make an enjoyable trip .... the radar looked a lot worse. Glad yall had a good time. Randy .. i can say that the most enjoyable times that i can remember were spent with my daughter camping when she was young .. gosh i miss those days. Looks like the winch really came in handy.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Damn wish I could have there. Work, Work, Work!!!!!!!. Guess what, I may be getting a job soon that is more conductive to real yaking adventures. Now Firefly49 you know we always treated you like one the guys. Your great to be with! Your wooden spear looks like it was loaded to the max, riding that low in the water. Randy is the best. I know from experience with him that you always feel secure with him around. He knows the ins and the outs of everything and is watching out for everyone. Thats what makes a RANDY ADVENTURE the real deal. Hey, maybe this can become a reality show on TV.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

Thanks for the kudos, But it was this River Rat Gang that made the trip great.......

Rodloos, is dedicated, this is his second road trip down from Dallas,,,,

Everyone helped each other and it was great...

Some of the pre planning, if ya'll remember,,,
I had everyone put there name on the log sheet when we parked at HF. (just in case)

I told everyone where the key was for the shuttle vehicle if something happened to me.

Called the SO, and requested a drive by under the bridge to check on the shuttle vehicle. during the night.

Everyone was given the info for access to get there vehicles if I was not available.

The "HIKE" out route was pointed out to everybody, just in case,

We had a VHF radio, FRS radios, the Sattelite tracker,first aide pack, CELL PHONES OUT THE KAZOO........

Ropes and yes MREEEEssss. (Dang we even had a Paramedic with us,,,)

And like I said, There was not one piece of equipment or kayak, that was more important than everyones safety......all that crap can be replaced......

We were blessed,,,, we had a good safe trip,,,, Thanks again everyone.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I had a great time. Every muscle in my body was tired, but it was fun :) .

It was already dark when I got home, so I didn't get a chance to wash off much of the gear in the hose, just had to spread things out in the garage to try to dry off. Can't hang it outside to dry, since WE'RE STILL GETTING RAIN ALL WEEK up here :) . Sorry I brought the rain y'all!

I think I got a bit of poison ivy on my wrist and ankle from the bushes near the takeout, I'm just trying not to scratch it!

I know I brought a lot of gear with me, which all had to be carried down to the river at launch and up the (muddy) hill at takeout, but I don't know what I would choose to leave out next time (except I didn't need to bring food since Randy made such a wonderful meal! :) ) The tarps were very nice to have to keep out of the rain, I'm glad y'all had some support poles to hold them up.

It was a blast, I'm ready to go camping again!
upthecreek

Post by upthecreek »

Glad to see it was a great trip and all are OK..starting to wonder about it.

upthecreek
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

................FINALLY........ Randy has admitted to everyone just a little of the time and effort he personally goes through behind the scenes with regards to the expert pre-planning and safety issues that he takes care of .....right down to the last detail ..... rather than doing the "Aw, shucks, it was nothing" type routine he always does.!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen