Post by FATRABBIT »

Add us to the head count.

Tony & Narcy
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Camping/Paddle trip any interest? update w/pics

Post by Hirsch »

I will make a weather decision tomorrow night.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

One of the other forums I participate in (for RAT Cutlery knives, of all things) is also planning on having a gathering/campout this weekend, over near Ratcliff in the Davy Crockett National Forest. Right now I'm thinking I may try to visit there Friday night, that way I'll already be down to near an hour's drive from Navasota for Saturday morning, rather than try and drive all 4 hours from Dallas Saturday morning.

I went by REI today and spent WAY too much money, but I got a tent that I think will be great for camping from the kayak, pretty compact and looks to be easy to setup, which is perfect for this klutz. My LED lantern came in from Amazon, and I'm working now in whittling down all the ton of stuff I normally bring on a campout, we'll see if I can still have fun without all of that :).

Maybe Firefly can bring her charm and convince the rain to stay away this weekend!
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Tristan saw me cutting up some bait last night, and sais,, "We going fishing"? Soooo,
I am bringing my helper along. I am gonna leave my dutch ovens behind and trade off the weight difference.
I would much rather bring Tristan.
FATRABBIT

Post by FATRABBIT »

Randy wrote:Tristan saw me cutting up some bait last night, and sais,, "We going fishing"? Soooo,
I am bringing my helper along. I am gonna leave my dutch ovens behind and trade off the weight difference.
I would much rather bring Tristan.
Randy we have plenty of room on our canoe if you would like for us to carry the dutch oven for you.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

:D
I lead a charmed life; current forecast is:
Saturday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 81. East wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a low around 71. Southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
I've seen forecasts of 80% that didn't result in rain, here's hoping!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Hmmm, does anyone have some of those telescoping poles that can be setup to support a tarp? I have a tarp I can bring... they have updated the forecast, I swear I am not making this up, forecast for Navasota area:
Saturday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Increasing clouds, with a high near 81. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 71. Southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1pm. High near 82. Southwest wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
I swear it would be funny, if it didn't happen EVERY time I camp! :cry:
hellgramite

Post by hellgramite »

I can't wait to see the pictures from this event! Not fun getting caught in a t-storm on the water!
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Rodloos!!!!!!!!! STOP watching the minute to minute forecasts.....you're stirring up the rain gods!!!!! :lol: We had a t-storm come thru last night that dropped .05" and would have flattened my little pup tent in two minutes....today it's absolutely gorgeous!!!

I have the Srchr loaded on the truck, my rods and tackle ready, gear packed, tested and loaded........and a poncho when I need it! I'M READY!!!!!!! See ya'll in the AM.

I'm curious. Who else is doing this trip for sure???????????????
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

With chances of 80% to 90% of heavy rains and lightening I am backing out. I was really looking forward to it and todays sun had almost convinced me. However, the big jump from 60% has changed my mind.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I have to say I'm backing out too. I just signed on to a hunting lease thursday I've been trying to get on for a while. I bought another member out. I have a stand just have to set-up a feeder and camera this weekend. Hopefully the deer will adjust before opening day!!!!
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

I am loaded up, and picking Tristan up in the morning, Here is my number 281-678-1425.
10:00am Navasota River bridge on HWY 105 @ 4 miles west of Navasota.

Randy
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Hirschhunter wrote:With chances of 80% to 90% of heavy rains and lightening I am backing out. I was really looking forward to it and todays sun had almost convinced me. However, the big jump from 60% has changed my mind.

Well I am still sick so would have stayed home anyway .. but .. camping out on a sand bar in a tiny tent eating rations (we are not talking a campground setting) with 80-90% chance of thunderstorms when I already have that warning has no appeal to me at all ...... I would much rather be comfortable at home. Maybe it is because if I was working on a drilling rig rain and terrible weather is no excuse at all and we have to go about our business no matter the weather so IF i don't have to and can be comfortable at home then that is where I want to be under those conditions.
I don't know the area but from my experience I would be concerned about camping on a small sandbar with a 90% chance of rain all night ....... bet y'all are some water logged, wore out warriers come Sunday afternoon.
BdaddyG

Post by BdaddyG »

Waiting on my relief to get to the station, then head home, pick up Ladybug and hit the road. Rain is just constant paddle splash.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Safety is #1. We'll be 1.5 miles from takeout, high ground behind the sandbar, weather reports monitored if the 80% hovers over, and having fun........I'm heading out now.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

From the looks of the Radar Rodloos did it again.
Those folks are going to have a tale to tell.
ron
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

bowgarguide wrote:From the looks of the Radar Rodloos did it again.
Those folks are going to have a tale to tell.
ron
I am glad I decided to stay home, but hope they had a blast.

I am looking forward to next week at Harmon Creek. With the room of a truck for gear there is no excuse for a base camp not to be able to ride out this kind of weather.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

wow, this thread made four pages.......................Well we went, everybody was safe, we had a great trip,,,,, and I met some new folks....... The pics will be posted on the report thread.

Thank you to everyone that came out,,,,,, For those that held back,,, I understand,,,,, hopefully we can make the next camp out, where every it may be........

Randy