Matagorda Island State Park

M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Matagorda Island State Park

Post by M T Stringer »

Planning a camping/fishing trip with FirePat to MISP from 27Oct thru 29Oct...3days 2nights in a non-inclusive bare bones resort. lol.

If anyone would like to attend this redfish/trout/flounder fishing seminar :lol: :lol: :lol: you are more than welcome to join us. The mothership will leave POC around noon on the 27th with yaks in tow. If you cannot make it, but have been there...ADVICE IS ALWAYS WELCOME!!!!! I have been looking at this on the map for a long time now and finally get to go to my own little Graceland. Pringle Lake, here we come.

Changed launch location to POC Fishing Center. MTS
Last edited by M T Stringer on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigdav160

Re: Matagorda Island State Park

Post by bigdav160 »

First time?

LOL, you don't need to paddle all the way to Pringle to catch fish at MISP
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Yup...first time. Got a mothership to help explore for three days, so no worries on distances.

Questions are more like: Are there showers there or not? TPWD Map shows them but website says not available. Doesn't matter either way...just curious. Do we pack out our own trash? I assume so. Says hunting is available on island, will this be a problem for fishing this time of year? I should probably change my Donald Duck ringtone anyway. :lol: j/k. What are crowds like/campsites available on weekdays? Says it is first come first available. How many boat slips are there? Any (theft) issues with leaving camp setup while fishing for the day? Stuff like that, from someone who has made the trip would be appreciated. I can handle exploring the waters on my own unless you feel compelled to divulge a specific shorline/HH where you have been successful. 8) :wink:

Thanks in advance. MT
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

I don't hunt but I do know they have a couple "special" hunts where they take over the island. (December I think) I'd stay away at that time.

There is an outdoor shower. Last October it was still working. The bathrooms I'd call "off limits". They had water tanks on their roofs and appear to be emptied long ago. There are many rattlesnakes so stay out of the deep grass.

The marina is holding it's own even though there is some damage. Quite a few boats can tie up there. I don't go often but have never had a problem with someone messing with my stuff. It is first come-first serve. There are, maybe, eight covered tables. Most with the covers rusted through. I've never seen it full.

I don't know what boat you have but Pringle is shallow! Work the edges. From the camp area, the channel running back the army hole can be good. The small lake on the east side of the camping area can be very good. Then there is a drop off just in front if the camping area that is productive. All the grassy islands are usually good to.
Attachments
marina.jpg
marina.jpg (21.57 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

Another
Attachments
camp.jpg
camp.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 7482 times
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

One more
Attachments
channel.jpg
channel.jpg (18.88 KiB) Viewed 7482 times
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

OK, another
Attachments
coyote.jpg
coyote.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
FirePat

Post by FirePat »

Thanks BigD. Do you happen to have the gps cords for the marina? If we're leaving from Charlies, are there any reefs or sandbars that we need to worry about on our way there? Great pics!!
That Robbie Guy

Post by That Robbie Guy »

Spent my Labor Day weekend out on the island.

... and i've just been itching to get back !

No, no showers are available.
Yes, you will have to pack your own trash.

bigdav160 has given some excellent advice.
Early in the mornings I fished the small 'lake' on the east side of camp.
You'll see the reds tailing up in the grass.
In the afternoons I spent with the boat parked up in army hole.
Caught a few nice keepers.
That Robbie Guy

One night we gigged the small lake and brought back a limit of flounder.

And as stated ... watch out for the rattlesnakes.
Didn't see any but did find a few large skins.

And oh yeah, the coons are there. So watch the camp area.
Keep the trash up high and coolers under the benches at night.
FirePat

Post by FirePat »

Come on with it Robbie!!! Feel free to join us. Just got off the phone with TPWD and he said each person will need a LPU permit ($12), you don't need to make reservations, first come first serve, there are no scheduled events for the time we will be there.
Another note, we will be leaving from the Fishing Center in POC.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

dang, I just wrote a huge reply and the computer wouldn't take it!

Here's the clif notes: take plenty of water, ice, bug spray, charcoal
don't forget your tackle... I did once :oops:
Duck season starts the 31st so hunters won't be a problem except maybe a little extra traffic on the water setting up blinds.
You'll probably have the campground to yourself. There is an outdoor shower, it may or may not have water. No bathrooms. The racoons aren't as bad as they used to be, but still lock your food. I keep ours in a large plastic bin and wedge it and the icechest under the picnic table bench. Tie your trash up high too, or you'll have a mess in the morning. There seems to be less gators out there now but you will see them. They won't bother you unless you get between them and the deeper water (search my gator story on here). Don't forget about fishing the surf. It can be great, and well worth the 2 mile walk to get there. Also consider taking a big rod for use at the camp. We've often seen big sharks in the boat basin and near the camp.

You're gonna have a blast. My buds and I are heading down Thursday for our 10th annual fall trip. I'll post results next week. PM me with any more ?, I'll be glad to help.
FirePat

Post by FirePat »

Are we allowed to clean the fish at our camp? If so, do the fillets count against our possession limit? I looked at TPWD website and couldn't find an answer.
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

Eat what you fillet and don't bring them back to the Fishing Center and you'll be OK.

Also, since your're coming by boat it probably easier to follow the ICW and then take the channel to the island.

I wouldn't attempt at night, especally the first time.
DAMHIK
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

FirePat wrote:Are we allowed to clean the fish at our camp? If so, do the fillets count against our possession limit? I looked at TPWD website and couldn't find an answer.
I've often wondered the same thing. We keep enough to eat 2 meals while there. Other than that, we C&R until the last day. Mainly it's because we travel as light as possible and don't have enough ice to store fish for several days.
FirePat

Post by FirePat »

We get off work at 0700 and that should put us at the Fishing Center around 11 or so. We hope to be on our way by noon. We're also thinkin about going gigging Tues night and making a night trip Wed, then leave when we wake up Thurs around 10 or so.
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

A bunch of us were there in May. No running water anywhere. No private loo close by either. Primative at best. Camping area is kept mowed. Didn't see any snakes, but with the long awaited rains they got this summer, the rodents are probably on the move. Feral hogs like to root at the shoreline where we kept our boats. No problems with mosquitos in May, but then it hadn't rained in years there. Mosquitos may have abated by then. Historically bad in September. Cook what you catch ok, bring back gutted fish I guess. Hard to keep ice fresh. May be better in October.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Thanks for the advice...hopefully some can join, although unlikely due to a weekday trip...one of the few benefits of being a Firefighter is your schedule is so flexible...although it sux working Christmas Thanksgiving New Years Eve etc. some years.

Keep the advice coming!!!
That Robbie Guy

Maaan ... if I could, I would.
Unfortunately, I can't make it back for a little bit.
Though I do have every intention of going back before it gets too cold.
FirePat wrote:Come on with it Robbie!!! Feel free to join us. Just got off the phone with TPWD and he said each person will need a LPU permit ($12), you don't need to make reservations, first come first serve, there are no scheduled events for the time we will be there.
Another note, we will be leaving from the Fishing Center in POC.
I'm going to have to look into this 'LPU permit.'
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

^^^^^^

$12 where you buy your license.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

M T Stringer wrote:Thanks for the advice...hopefully some can join, although unlikely due to a weekday trip...one of the few benefits of being a Firefighter is your schedule is so flexible...although it sux working Christmas Thanksgiving New Years Eve etc. some years.

Keep the advice coming!!!

The schedule is pretty nice ain't it!!! I rarely fish a weekend anymore. I haven't gotten lettering for it, but I've named my yak "48 OFF"!
bjones8103

Post by bjones8103 »

Sounds like an awesome trip and one I've been wanting make for a long. I go on my long change (7 days off) the week following your trip. It's all about timing, but I will be picking brains and planning a trip of my own when the weather gets a little cooler. Thanks. bjones
osok

Post by osok »

Was there last May and had a great time. Pack everything in and everything out. Never heard about needing a $12 permit? :shock: Camping area was mowed but that appears to be the only maintenance being done. Going during the week you may be the only campers there.
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

I'll let you how it is.

I'm leaving mañana. :dance: :D
FirePat

Post by FirePat »

good luck out there!!!! can't wait to hear how yall do.