Cold Pass

davewave12

Cold Pass

Post by davewave12 »

Wanted to wade surfside or Beach access 6 at Folets this morning, wind was raging at 20 side shore Sw. Went to San Luis launched and paddled across Cold Pass. Stayed real patient, fished from 7:30 til 11 when I ran out of bait. Bite never got frantic but stayed pretty steady, ended up with 6 trout 15-16" and one monster at 25", also had a 14" croaker, and caught and released two undersized reds, one 14" and the other 18". Damn near forgot photos altogether, but remembered just as I was about to filet the big one.
Attachments
big trout.jpg
big trout.jpg (29.31 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Cold Pass

Post by Night Wing »

Anytime one can catch fish when the wind is blowing 20+, they have to consider themselves lucky. Usually for me, if the wind is up that high, I end up getting skunked.
muddawg

Post by muddawg »

<<Usually for me, if the wind is up that high, I end up getting skunked.>>

Hmmm, interesting. I usually end up getting skunked when the wind is that high, too, or when the wind is less. :(
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Like the old Rolling Stones song says " Gimme, Gimme shelter..." I take my Hook-n-Line or Hot Spot maps with me and try to find someplace protected from the wind with a lot better chance for clean water. I won't give out my honey hole spots, but here is a hint, when it is that windy look for the narrow twisty bayous that bisect the bay systems, you are sure to find an angle along one somewhere that is blocked from the wind.
fishingcowboy

Post by fishingcowboy »

sweet trout man that is nice
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

That's a biggun, good work.
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Thaks guys, it was tasty and worm free as well!! :D
Renfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Renfish »

Congrats! That's a nice trout!
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

What do you mean, "worm free"?
drtyharry

Post by drtyharry »

Thinwater skinner wrote:What do you mean, "worm free"?
The fish just didn't have any extra protein...Hot weather and some of the larger fish will have worms...You can see them squirming around in the fillet....Some folks go ahead and fry them up but I don't have the stomach...I guess it would be OK if you didn't see them so fillet the big fish in the dark.
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Well I DID filet it (all of them actually) in the garage a night with a 75W single bulb.
Facehook

Post by Facehook »

Nice fish!
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

You can see them squirming around in the fillet.
I've cleaned many many trout since I moved down to the coast, most have had worms. I have never seen one move, even while poking them or pulling out their spermy looking heads. You sure your disgust isn't causing you to see things? :)
drtyharry

Post by drtyharry »

Milkjug wrote:
You can see them squirming around in the fillet.
I've cleaned many many trout since I moved down to the coast, most have had worms. I have never seen one move, even while poking them or pulling out their spermy looking heads. You sure your disgust isn't causing you to see things? :)
I am sure you are right...If I see worms in something I am about to eat I might see them squirming and even hear them say EAAATTTTT MEEEEEE. But seriously I have never seen them moving in a fillet....Just wanted to add the word squirm to see if I could get a reaction from any weak stomachs. There is probally more danger from toxins in the water than you would ever get from worms in a fish.