Anchor Line Management

goodwood

Anchor Line Management

Post by goodwood »

How do you keep your line of 75-100ft properly stored/wrapped up? that much line would create a mess for me and have no idea on how to keep it organized. Did a search and didn't find much.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Anchor Line Management

Post by Mythman »

When on the water I keep my anchor in a flush mount behind me and the anchor line and anchor float in the tank well area behind the crate. When I anchor up, I allow for how much rope I have and I throw the whole thing out and hook the end of the line to my anchor trolley.

When I go in or move, I just pull the line in and place the anchor behind me and the rope too. I don't seem to have any major problems with tangle.......but it happens occasionally........nothing that can't be fixed.
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

For starters I normally use 50' of anchor line.....if we are going deeper, or fishing the ship channel, the I will add another 100'.
When not in use, I coil my line and zap one of these puppies on it:

http://www.cableclamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can buy them at Home Depot for a couple bucks...
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Pretty much same as above. I use a short piece of chain attached to my anchor with 50' of line attached to the chain. On the last link I tie on a piece of line about 8" looks like shoe lace. When I am ready to stow, I use the 8" piece to tie up the entire coil nice and neat. On the water between moves, I coil the line in my lap as I bring up anchor, put the anchor on top and move to a new location. Drop the anchor over the side and everything seems to come out right. Done for the day and headed to the beach, pull in wad it up and throw it in the tank well behind me. To each is own...good luck.
chrispistols

Post by chrispistols »

In my milk crate directly behind me I have a piece of PVC attached that holds the anchor up right and then a cable clamp that holds the actual coil of rope and sit that on top of the anchor. I've found this works best for me and keeps the anchor rope out of my way. Typically I use only 50' of rope and then add additional length when I know I'm going to be fishing in real deep water. Basically what the two people above me have said.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

If you're having tangling problems, you're probably using that cheap polypropylene (plastic) rope. If you'll pick up some braided nylon rope, you'll instantly remedy 90% of your tangling problems. When you pull your anchor in, simply coil the rope and you'll eliminate the other 10%.

I carry two 50' lengths. So far, I've never had to go to the second 50'.
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

I found anchor rope at Academy stuffed into a small bag that is open on bot ends, a small hole that is. You just stuff the rope back into it or feed it out as necessary. It was in the kayak section. I tied a float on the other end. The cable clamps did not work well for me.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

I use a 50' floating rescue line left over from my white water days that has a floating stuff bag. It never tangles. I stick the handle end of the anchor in the bag and use the keeper strap to hold in. So even if I roll coming in it doesn't get all over the place.
Attachments
anchor line.jpg
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

I just wrap my rope around my anchor.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I found a 75' of 3/16" braided polypro floating rope on a small winder with a handle and clips for the ends of the rope in the rope and chain section of my local Walmart. One end is tied to the anchor and a swivel snap clip is on the other end. When I leave the beach the anchor is in the pvc pipe rod holder attached to the milk crate and the snap clip is attached to the nearest line or eye. In my FnD it is easy to turn and reach back to unhook the clip and bring the anchor into the cockpit where I attach it to the anchor buoy and anchor trolley. The empty thin plastic winder for the rope slips into the side of the crate until it is needed. When I am finished for the day I wind the line back on the winder as I retrieve it and store the anchor back in the rod holder. For short moves the anchor and line go into the cockpit between my feet. I have another winder with 75' of line with snap clips on each end that stays in the crate to give more length if ever needed. So far 75' has held even at rig 334 and beyond.
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

I just wrap my anchor line around an extension cord holder.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Floating rope - wish I had used floating rope, I would still have my anchor. :oops:
Facehook

Post by Facehook »

I use a 97 cent extension cord holder from Walmart. The extension cord holder is tied to my anchor line so that it never gets lost. While in the water, I just throw everything overboard.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

I just clump it all together and untie knots once while I am at the beach preparing to launch. never have troubles when in the water if i straighten it out first at the beach.

WM
Lord of the Hardheads

Post by Lord of the Hardheads »

I mounted a pair of cleats on the outside of my kayak about 5' apart and wrap the line around that. then store the anchor in back
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

I use a large boat bumper, and roll it up on that. When I get ready to launch the anchor, I just toss it over and let it unwind itself, and tie it off to a cleat. My btb is usually in 40+ feet, so I have two sections of rope looped together. When I'm fishing in the surf zone, I take one section off, and go out w/ a single 50 ft section.
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

I use 50' of anchor line btb and it's never been too short. I I don't need that much I just make a loop like MM does. I try to spool it neatly when I bring it in, but I usually end up with a little bit of a mess after the first couple of drops. Fortunately my XFactor has plenty of storage space and I can keep it out of the way.
T-Bart

Post by T-Bart »

100' of rope are coiled and then tied with twist ties to keep it coiled. The coiled rope and anchor go inside a light nylon bag which is buckled shut, and I leave my atwood boat fender float out of the bag. I keep all my terminal tackle and water in that bag too, so if the bag dumps in the surf I just look for the float.
pompanoman

Post by pompanoman »

I designed and built a handheld windup reel that will hold a 100 ft of anchor rope, plus a 10 ft leash, plus a float. You can pitch it all into the water and let it unwind. If you don’t need all the line, it’s easy to do a quick reverse wrap around the reel wind knob. It’s lightweight and cheap and easy to make. Just send me $10.00, and I’ll send you the plans.

Just kidding about the $10.00! I was cruising Home Depot and noticed an empty plastic reel among their reels of electric cord and cable that they sell by the foot. Thus, was my long latent genius awakened! I asked to buy the empty reel, but they gave it to me.

1. I enlarged the holes at each end of the reel until I could insert a half inch plastic pipe (Schedule 40 PVC) all the way through the reel.
2. On one end of the pipe I glued a 4 way connector to serve as a handle to hold the pipe while I rotate the reel around it. On the opposite end of the PVC I glued a connecting sleeve just to keep the pipe from sliding out of the reel. The pipe needs to be just long enough so that the reel can easily rotate around the pipe.
3. Then I attached a drawer knob to the outer outside edge of the plastic reel on the end opposite the 4 way pipe handle. Now you can rotate the reel (to which the anchor line is attached) around the pipe. Just hold the “handle” attached to the pipe and use the knob attached to the reel to rotate it around the pipe.
4. Simple right? It’s easy to figure out how to attach the 100 ft to the reel as well as the leash and the float. Just design it in such a way, probably with quick disconnects to the leash and/or float, that you won’t interfere with the rotation when you wind the line in.

I’ll post pictures later if I can figure out how.

P.S. Since I don’t trust the glued connections, I drilled small holes through them and ran plastic ties through them to secure them.
Last edited by pompanoman on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goodwood

Post by goodwood »

pompanoman wrote:I designed and built a handheld windup reel that will hold a 100 ft of anchor rope, plus a 10 ft leash, plus a float. You can pitch it all into the water and let it unwind. If you don’t need all the line, it’s easy to do a quick reverse wrap around the reel wind knob. It’s lightweight and cheap and easy to make. Just send me $10.00, and I’ll send you the plans.

Just kidding about the $10.00! I was cruising Home Depot and noticed an empty plastic reel among their reels of electric cord and cable that they sell by the foot. Thus, was my long latent genius awakened! I asked to buy the empty reel, but they gave it to me.

1. I enlarged the holes at each end of the reel until I could insert a half inch plastic pipe (Schedule 40 PVC) all the way through the reel.
2. On one end of the pipe I glued a 4 way connector to serve as a handle to hold the pipe while I rotate the reel around it. On the opposite end of the PVC I glued a connecting sleeve just to keep the pipe from sliding out of the reel. The pipe needs to be just long enough so that the reel can easily rotate around the pipe.
3. Then I attached a drawer knob to the outer outside edge of the plastic reel on the end opposite the 4 way pipe handle. Now you can rotate the reel (to which the anchor line is attached) around the pipe. Just hold the “handle” attached to the pipe and use the knob attached to the reel to rotate it around the pipe.
4. Simple right? It’s easy to figure out how to attach the 100 ft to the reel as well as the leash and the float. Just design it in such a way, probably with quick disconnects to the leash and/or float, that you won’t interfere with the rotation when you wind the line in.

I’ll post pictures later.

P.S. Since I don’t trust the glued connections, I drilled small holes through them and ran plastic ties through them to secure them.
Great idea!!!
winkydo

Post by winkydo »

pompanoman wrote:I designed and built a handheld windup reel that will hold a 100 ft of anchor rope, plus a 10 ft leash, plus a float. You can pitch it all into the water and let it unwind. If you don’t need all the line, it’s easy to do a quick reverse wrap around the reel wind knob. It’s lightweight and cheap and easy to make. Just send me $10.00, and I’ll send you the plans.

I’ll post pictures later if I can figure out how.

Here are the pics of pompanoman's creation. Just got around to posting these, sorry about the delay.

RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

I used to use an extension cord winder, but now use this ...
I replaced the pool noodle section with a better float, but this is basically what I do inshore. 75 feet of Lehigh floating diamond braided Poly rope with bonus winder winder (Wal-Mart) about 4 dollars. Lehigh's number MFP675 at the store, but all i see online is 50 foot, mfp650 Check this/ search Lehigh http://www.shopwiki.com/Rope+Winder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;