Best marine battery for Kayak 50lb Trolling Motor?

surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Best marine battery for Kayak 50lb Trolling Motor?

Post by surfers77 »

I've been doing my homework on marine batteries. Jeremy and Bob over at FTU said for a 50lb thrust motor on a U14.5 a Optima SC34DM would be the best battery $190. I just want to make sure before I spend the money. Any of yall with motors on your Yaks agree with this? Thanks, Jesse

Optima D34M-950, SC34DM, Blue Top Marine, Marine Battery - FREE Shipping
$178.00
Application: Marine Manufacturer: Optima Model Number: D34M-950 Dimensions: 10 x 6.88 x 7.81 Post Type: SAE & Stud Description: Blue Top Starting & Deep Cycle Battery CCA @0°F: 750 CA @32°F: 950 Reserve Capacity: 120 Warranty: 18 Months Free Replacement "OPTIMA Batteries Blue Top offer the clean, reliable, high-power output and deep cycle characteristics that have made OPTIMA batteries famous are available for marine applications. OPTIMA Marine batteries use the same unique SPIRALCELL Technology which Opt"
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Best marine battery for Kayak 50lb Trolling Motor?

Post by sinkingship »

How many amps will your trolling motor be pulling? Take that number and divide it into the Ah (Amp hours) of the battery and that should give you the total continuous run time of your motor. Now as far as quality of battery is concerned then yeah you cant get much better than Optima batteries. Dunno if that helps you very much but that's about the extent of what I know.
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

I don't know. I just found a Minn Kota 50 lb for $189 and bought it. It doesn't tell me much. (Sinkinship) How's your bass yak set up coming along?

Product Information Top of Page

One of the most popular trolling motors in the sport, the Endura series from Minn Kota offers pure power and rugged dependability. This 50 lbs.-thrust powerhouse features a composite lever lock bracket that resists warping and UV damage and a telescoping hand control with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse.

* 12-volt system
* 42" indestructible composite shaft is guaranteed for life
* Weedless Wedge II prop
* Max boat length=20'

Model No.: Endura 50-42
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 26.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 5.0 x 16.0 x 52.0
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.: 004550781
ACK_JF

Post by ACK_JF »

The optima is going to be the best battery for your situation. I would recommend you secure that battery well in your ultimate. Last thing you want is for that thing to tip over and you loose a $200 battery.

Justin
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Ok Surfers...I gave Minn Kota a call and got tech support on the line. They told me on the lowest speed you will be pulling 7 amps. At full speed you will be pulling 42 amps!!! To run that monster at full blast for any length of time you are going to need one helluva battery or run 2 in a series to get you a long runtime.

As far as my Bassyaks kit goes...I love it and would do it again for my mini-x if I had the money right now.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

I think you ment to run them in parallel if you run two 12 volt batteries in series you now have the same Ahrs but 24 volts. If you run them parallel you double the Ahrs but keep the same voltage. If I was going to run two batteries I would run them in series but two six volt batteries. You can get a better Ahr rate this way.
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

All that sounds nice, but it's way over my head. I don't know about volts and amp hours etc. My motor came in last night, so now I'll go buy the battery and charger today and use it tomorrow in our 20mph wind.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Yeah I think your best just getting the one batteries that was recommended and try it out. I bet it will work fine for what your wanting to do with it. Also could you post up pics of the rigging that you do as far as motor and battery storage. Good luck!
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

My bad...you knew what I meant...I just said it wrong. Good thing I wired it right though!!!
TexasAg

Post by TexasAg »

Get the Die Hard Platinum. This is basically an Odyssey Battery and they are awesome. Way better than an Optima IMHO. I have the Odysseys in all my vehicles.
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

I would have looked into it, but I bought the Optima already, Thanks Ag
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Where are them pics? I love looking at how people set their kayaks up! How were you planning on mounting your motor? rear set or off to the side?

PICS PICS PICS!!!
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

50 pounds of thrust? Next you will want to know what are a good set of ski to go with you yak?
Catchin'Hejl

Post by Catchin'Hejl »

That is a all around good battery, I havent used it for a trolling motor before, but I use it on the ship, for starting the diesel engines, and we use one in our small boat, they are made for charging and it will last a long time.