Graphite Powder?

Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Graphite Powder?

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

What is the normal amount of Graphite Powder needed for a kayak build :?: And i'm correct that it is stirred in the epoxy before adding the hardner and if so how much is added to every oz. of epoxy :?:

Mike
TexasZeke

Re: Graphite Powder?

Post by TexasZeke »

Whether or not I did it right, I mixed the resin and hardener first and then added three or four heaping teaspoons to a three ounce mix

kevin
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I add a heaping tablespoon to app. 8 oz. of mixed epoxy. You can use less for first coats and more for the final coats.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Thank you gentleman,in a few days i'm going to start a build for my wife and i'm going to use graphite this time :wink:

Mike
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote:I add a heaping tablespoon to app. 8 oz. of mixed epoxy. You can use less for first coats and more for the final coats.
Me too, and I mix the graphite and resin real good before I add the hardener. In fact, I let it sit for a while to let the bubbles go away, then add the hardener.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

preacher wrote:
gerald wrote:I add a heaping tablespoon to app. 8 oz. of mixed epoxy. You can use less for first coats and more for the final coats.
Me too, and I mix the graphite and resin real good before I add the hardener. In fact, I let it sit for a while to let the bubbles go away, then add the hardener.
I mix the epoxy first before adding the graphite powder.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I read just the other day where West Systems says 10% graphite, however some boat builders use anywhere from 15% to 40%. One uses 25%, 30%, 40% on consucutive coats.

I plan to use graphite powder on my 45" R/C model sailboat. Just signed for my 1 oz Angel Hair cloth and Sytems 3 Clear Coat Epoxy.
I saw one boat with the graphite and it was slick (looks and feel). Took my hull off the frames last night. Used 3/8"w x 3/32"d basswood for the strips and it tips the scales at less than 16 oz.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Piscator wrote:. . . . . . my 45" R/C model sailboat. . . . . . tips the scales at less than 16 oz.

Pics :?:
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Yes pics :?:

Mike
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Here are a couple of pics of my build that I cut loose from the building board (stongback). The frames stay in on these. Mine will be all planked, even the deck. I hope to start an initial epoxy coat inside and out tomorrow, then glass it early next week.

A third pic is the bottome of one boat that used the graphite. He coated the bottom, keel fin, and keel bulb. Just for kicks, notice the artwork on the side of the boat. He used fine point markers to draw planking with nails.
Attachments
StarOff Frames.jpg
StarOffFrames1.jpg
StarPhilGraphite.jpg
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

:clap: WOW :clap: now i might be sorry i asked :roll: Where did you get your plans :D

Mike
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I just got the 'actual plans' printed a few days ago, which was after I had planked the hull and was sanding. I bought lazer-cut frames and made a jig to hold them. Do a search on 'Star 45 R/C Sailboat'. The are plans to buy on AMYA http://www.modelyacht.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and a few websites have .pdf files to download for free.

Check out http://www.pondyachtworks.com/Star45.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, he has some build pics and rigging pics. He also has links to the above.

We are getting away from graphite. Oh wait, will powdered graphite at an artist suplly store (Hobby Lobby, etc.) be the same?