when is legal light in the mornings

toofaraway

when is legal light in the mornings

Post by toofaraway »

Is there a legal definition or description game wardens use to determine when you can paddle without lights or is it just arbitrary? Going to AP this weekend and want to be on the water as early as possible but still safe and legal.
CJA

Re: when is legal light in the mornings

Post by CJA »

Just go to Academy and buy a light for $10. They have a flashlight style light that comes on a metal pole. Bracket included. That way you don't have to worry about what time to get on or off the water.
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RealBigReel »

TPWD wrote:All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.
I paid 14 bucks for the boat light that I got at WalMart.
Lights are cheap. Much cheaper than the fines.

This subject has been discussed several times before BTW.
ninetyfivem3

Post by ninetyfivem3 »

having a light on your boat is more for YOUR safety than anything else. So another BIGGER boat coming along can see you and not turn you into fish food and non-biodegradable kayak pieces

95M3
Ninja
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sweeny. Quit Wishin...Go Fishin and take a Kid with you

Post by Ninja »

All vessels including motorboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

According to TPWD, also a lot of people forget about the 2nd part.
Ninja
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sweeny. Quit Wishin...Go Fishin and take a Kid with you

Post by Ninja »

Ooophs, scrolled right past yours RealBigReel...
OlSalty

Post by OlSalty »

Legal light is that which has its papers/documents in order. Ooopppss! That's another forum.
All kidding aside:
I found this for you. On the tpwd website it talks about legal hunting hours being half hour before sunrise and it actually tells you where to go to check sunrise/sunset hours. This makes it binding on them and no game warden can change the time. But DO give yourself some extra minutes on your watch and see what time the game warden writes on the ticket. Also, batteries and lights are cheap when compared to your health and well being. Just because it's legal does not make it safe. If a storm or overcast sky makes it dark just use your lights. It's a judgement call.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... t/general/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For information on sunrise/sunset hours, please look at: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/Texas.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Years ago I helped with a Coast Guard class in small boat safety (in particular sail boats) and their recommendation was to use lights from a half-hour before sunset until a half-hour after sunrise. Then you know you should be legal.
Johninaustin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johninaustin »

I've always been mystified with people more concerned over avoiding a ticket rather than the possibility of being run over by a giant food processor (Usually driven by a drunk)

Maybe it's just me, but ending the trip with all the important pieces still attached is a much more pressing concern than a fine.

Keep in mind, a little penlight is not a magic cure. You can be cited for INADEQUATE lighting too. :o
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Just go ahead and take the fine it helps with payroll :twisted: :D :D
Call me AL

Post by Call me AL »

Ooh, I thought this was going to be about duck hunting.
Rod Pod

Post by Rod Pod »

For 20 bucks you can buy bow and stern lights for your boat that have suction cups as a way of attachment at Academy. Not sure of how good they work but they run on batteries so no need for riggin the yak.
Capt. Caveman

Post by Capt. Caveman »

CJA wrote:Just go to Academy and buy a light for $10. They have a flashlight style light that comes on a metal pole. Bracket included. That way you don't have to worry about what time to get on or off the water.
Buy two because one will quit working. Believe me I know, they are junk. Bexars and Waterman69 have it figured out. They use a battery powered mini lantern set in a 3" pvc fitting reduced down to 1 1/4" pipe that fits into a recessed rod holder.
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

Clip wrote:Years ago I helped with a Coast Guard class in small boat safety (in particular sail boats) and their recommendation was to use lights from a half-hour before sunset until a half-hour after sunrise. Then you know you should be legal.
hit it right on the nail, thats what we "advise" people with verbal warnings.....but some people will keep them off until the sun is gone 100% by then its restricted vis.