Tying a flourocarbon leader to braid

texasJ

Tying a flourocarbon leader to braid

Post by texasJ »

What knot should I use to tie 12 lb. flourocarbon to 6:20 braid?
Choupique

Re: Tying a flourocarbon leader to braid

Post by Choupique »

double uni
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=124518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago.
I am thinking of attaching a barrel swivel to my hooks and hard baits to minimize line twist. Going with out a snap swivel has been pleasant.
DPT

Post by DPT »

I like the Albright special.
http://www.netknots.com/html/albright_special.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is relatively small, smooth, and easy for me to remember and tie when I am out fishing :wink:
OlSalty

Post by OlSalty »

This one works also. Seaguar knot
http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar_knot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
punkin611

Post by punkin611 »

The recomended knot for that is a Double Uni if they are close to the same size
FishByte

Post by FishByte »

On my spinning gear I use a small barrel swivel and tie the braid on one side and the fluro on the other. For my baitcasting gear I use the uni-to-uni knot. Hint: don't clip the tags ends too short and wet the know before tightening.
Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O »

Albright. Trim it tight and superglue it to smooth it out and to help it keep from slipping. I also tie and extra loop/lock on the braid side. The flourocarbon is hard so the braid has a little trouble biting it. Be careful not to cross on the loops and you will get a very small knot that passes through the eyes almost without notice. Reel it in just short of the knot hitting the spool and cut it just past the last eye to space it out. When you get down to about 18" cut it off and do it again. I use a 17# flourocarbon on a 20# braid on an inshore spinning setup. The 20# braid casts a mile.

If any of the other knots listed sound good, try them out at the house and see which one ties the smallest. The smallest that will still do the job will cast the best.
texasJ

Post by texasJ »

Alright. Thanks everyone!
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

DPT wrote:I like the Albright special.
http://www.netknots.com/html/albright_special.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is relatively small, smooth, and easy for me to remember and tie when I am out fishing :wink:

x2. Definitely the Albright special. Easy to tie, low profle, and extremely strong. I horse in my big redfish and have never had a braid-to-leader knot failure. Its always at my lure if there is a break.
G Posik

Post by G Posik »

I use the uni to uni knot and I have the 4.5 guides on my rods. The knot passes through the guides with no problems, I am using 30# braid and 25#or 30# flor. I do not glue the knot and I do trim the tag ends really close. Never had one come loose on me yet and have had some big trout and reds pull with all they had. I usually tie about 6' of leader on that way when changing out lures during the day I have plenty of leader. I tie the leader to the bait (Jig/Topwater etc.) using a improved loop knot. I only fish with bait casters and have not had any troubles with line twist. Hope this helps out.
fishhound

Post by fishhound »

Double Uni. I've tried other knots and had them slip loose.

Whichever you decide to use try a few and make sure that the line actually breaks before the line slips. Make sure and try them when they're wet also.

I don't like barrel swivels cause they beat up your rods. :)
Bluefish

Post by Bluefish »

I use small swivel, I think it works very well
Uncle Russ

Post by Uncle Russ »

Folks,

I have used the Albright for years for fishing offshore--typcially joining anything from 50 pound solid braid/40 pound Fluorocarbon all the way up to 100 pound braid/80 pound Flourocarbon.

I guess I really never though about using if for smaller diameters--it is good to hear that it works there as well.

Anyone had any negative experience--say, with joining 20 pound braid to 20 pound Fluoro?????

Thanks,

Russ