Red horse minnows

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Red horse minnows

Post by bowgarguide »

Is this minnow protected ,or is this a red fin that we are catching on the Brazos,where do I need to go look for information on this.
Ron
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Red horse minniws

Post by RealBigReel »

If you Google Redhorse Minnow you will see that there are several different species that have that nickname. So If you could find a picture of what you are looking for you could probably find out what you want to know. But I am guessing the operative work here is "minnow". Unless you can find it on the endangered list it is probably legal bait.
I catch Redfin Shiners often, and they make good bait.
http://204.200.131.28/JonahSite/piclumbratilcrail01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legal bait according to:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... finshiner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RealBigReel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Red horse minnows

Post by bowgarguide »

Reel
That looks like what we were catching, I will get a good pic the next time we go out.
Thanks
Ron
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Yes - redfin shiners. They are thick where I have been going - only thing is that if I use them this time of year all I catch is gar. They are great catfish and drum bait during the winter.

Kim
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

When I was a kid we use to seine up thousands of redhorse minnow to us on Red Bluff Lake. Red Bluff is on the Pecos River on the Texas/NM stateline--mostly in Texas. July, night time, hang out the lanterns, jig just off the bottom with one or two minnows, and we'd soon be catching white bass just as fast as we could pull them in...sometimes two at a time.
Near as I can remember the picture is what they looked like. Very hearty, lively minnow. The were definately legal then since the game warden always checked us.