Reliability

traveling man

Reliability

Post by traveling man »

I have been wanting to build a boat for awhile now but am a little worried about it breaking in half in the middle of a three day trip, how strong is the hull of a wooden boat? I camp and fish out of a Trident and it takes all the abuse I can throw at it. The bottom of my kayak is one big scar from the front to the back. How would a wooden boat hold up in rocky rivers?
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Reliability

Post by bowgarguide »

They are tough
I mistreat my boats and if built properly they will stand up.
Ron
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Ron and I paddle together and we are hard on boats. The area we paddle is very rocky and we have hit some very hard with no damage other than scratched varnish. Wood yaks are as tough or tougher than plastic boats.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Gosh...I wish I could have taken you with me on the Great Castell River Race. Read that post.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=122150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talk to strider, pogo, bowgarguide, Darrel, and others about how strong and durable wood composite boats are. I've done many marathons in my wood composite boats and never failed to finish because of boat damage. After the Castell river race all I need to do is sand the hull and recoat with graphite impregnated epoxy. Several of my boats have done the Texas Water Safari. I've done thousands of miles on the San Marcos and Guadalupe rivers--at speed. I've also done a lot of races on the Neches river race below Lake Palestine--21 miles of ramping logs, stumps, stobs, portaging, and dragging. I have ramped off a 6' high damn onto rocks and water. I don't baby my marathon boats at all. I'm not saying you can't damage them because you can but they are very strong, durable, and easily repaired.

However--if you are worried that a wood composite boat isn't strong and durable enough there's nothing at all wrong with a good plastic boat.

A wood composite boat is MUCH stiffer than a plastic boat.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Here's one I just finished. Built out of 1/4 inch thick redwood strips. Looks fragile does'nt, but I don't baby this boat and it's tough.

preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Since i'm new to the DIY wood boat stuff I also worried about the strength and durability of the Bumble Bee, but this week in Corpus has given me assurance they are reliable.

When we got here Friday we found near Gale (30 - 35 MPH) winds and nothing has changed. Monday I decided that I would join GoDoe at Lighthouse Lakes and give the boat a testing and catch me some fish. Short fishing report is I got skunked but the up side was the Bee. I paddled through the wind with what I believe is less effort than my OK Big Game. Also, while fishing near the boat lane a 50 foot boat plowed by sending out some massive waves. I paddled the Bee right through the 2 1/2 foot waves without a bit of problem. I noticed that the shock of ramming into the waves was transferred to the side walls which flexed out and in with absolutely no side effects. Later while drifting (being blown around) the Bee rammed hard into an oyster bank. I can't even find a trace of where it hit much less damage.

In short, my plastic yaks are great, my wood boat is GREAT.
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

Thanks guys looking forward to building one, I bet its pretty rewarding to fish out of a boat you built yourself.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

There is not a feeling like fishing out of a boat that was a pile of material a few weeks ago. :D
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Traveling man
I am going to give you one warning(you cant build just one) by the time you get half way through with the first one you will be planning the next build.
Repeat after me My name is traveling man I am a boat building addict :D :D
Ron
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

Thanks bowgarguide, maybe you can suggest a boat builders rehab clinic or maybe a support group, I know how addictive hobby's go.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

They havent found a treatment that works yet,all I can suggest is a bigger boat shed.
Ron
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

They haven't found a treatment that works yet,all I can suggest is a bigger boat shed.
Which brings up another question in my mind:

What do y'all do with all of your older boats? You've built, what, 10 boats or so Ron? Do you keep them all? Cut up/throw away early models that didn't work quite as well as later models? Do you find people interested in buying your older boats you were "learning" on, or were even your first boats top-rate and worthy of selling?

I don't have any indoor space, and my back yard is already getting crowded with a canoe and 3 kayaks.

I feel myself sliding down a slippery slope towards building a boat, like an ant falling down into an ant lion's den :)

I'm sure my skills will not produce the best boat ever seen on my first try, should I just plan on building one out of the cheapest plywood I can find just for the practice, then cut it up and build my real boat?? :lol:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Rod loos
I have 5 of my ten boats still here,all ten were good servicable boats and still being used, two were built for my grand daughters,two son in laws got two more,One I loaned to a friend and havent seen it in 1 1/2 years ,he calls me and tells me about the fish he is catching out of it.I think another son in law is claming my hot air perow.
I will keep at least five boats, the last two for me, the T-V because it is the best all around boat I own, and the cuda because I plan to do some more racing with Gerald,( I had a blast at my first one) the rest when I want to take a bunch out and let them try a yak or a wood yake I have plenty to go around
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

I personally watched Ron's Kayak fall from the top of his jeep full of water and hit the hard ground right on the nose of the bow and it didn't have anything wrong with it. It's one strong kayak :wink:

Mike
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Light Keeper's Kid wrote:I personally watched Ron's Kayak fall from the top of his jeep full of water and hit the hard ground right on the nose of the bow and it didn't have anything wrong with it. It's one strong kayak :wink:

Mike
What Mike did not tell you is that when it hit the ground it dug a hole that Ron is still waiting for the State's Bill of Repairs on. As Mike said there was zero damage to the boat. :D
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

If you dropped my boat twenty or thirty times you would have the Castile race.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

bowgarguide wrote:If you dropped my boat twenty or thirty times you would have the Castile race.
Ron
Yeah...and if you rolled it sideways over a couple of rocky bluffs with me under it you would have MY boat....
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Gerald
I have to ask how did you get under the boat?
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

It's kind of like wrasslin' alligators. We would tussle back and forth, roll over and over, and the dang boat would always end up on top. There was one time I was afraid one of those little plastic boats was going to come over the rapid and spear me while the boat had me pinned down for the three count....

I could have easily won a hundred grand for America's funniest video....

Have you ever seen one of those cute fluffy cats that have been fished out of the river? Looks like a drowned rat don't it. That was me...