Good books

traveling man

Good books

Post by traveling man »

Any recommendations on a good book to teach me about modern glue, epoxy, resins, wood selection, boat building skills?
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Good books

Post by FishingSETX »

Check out "The New Kayak Shop" by Chris Kulczycki. Great book on Stitch and Glue construction with quite a bit of info on epoxy, goopie (dookie shmutz), and most other S&G materials.

Also Check out "The Strip-Built Sea Kayak" by Nick Schade. Excelent book about strip building, materials, epoxy, fiberglass, and tools.

Both have great sections about hull shape, stability, speed, etc. Thats the only two I know to recommend, as thats the only two ive read!!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I think getting both those books is an excellent way to start. If you enjoy them, then shop Amazon for more like 'em, but those are the two to start with.

No book is ever going to be any more of a Bible than any builder can be God, so take all things with a grain of salt. We all do things alike in a general way, but are all over the map in particulars. Learn as many ways as you can, then do what works best for you.
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

Placed an order for the two recommended books also ordered Kayakcraft:Fine Woodstrip Kayak Construction by Ted Moores, Amazon suggested this one. I am about to be an expert on building wooden boats, but please give me 5 to 8 days shipping before any questions! Thanks Pogo and FishingSETX for your advise.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

no problem!! Let me know how you like the third book!! I may pick it up too!! LOTS f good info in the first two!!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Ted Moores' books are a very close third place, Amazon did good. All other books place noticably behind this leading trio. In my humble, but highly accurate, opinion, that is. 8)