Tennis Elbow

picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Tennis Elbow

Post by picaroon »

I went to Baffin two weeks ago and fished for 6 days. It was my intent to use a 7wt for the entire trip. On the 4th day my right elbow started to hurt and in fact it go so bad that I could not cast the fly rod and finished with a casting rod. Right now that elbow is killing me so I will go to a doctor next week........I am in my 70's but in real good shape and quite active..........any advise on the elbow..........
pearow

Re: Tennis Elbow

Post by pearow »

Ice it often for a few days; buy a brace; it fits over the forearm and prevents the ligament strain you are experiencing. Fish with a much lighter rod with the brace until it heals. I blew mine out like that with an 8 weight; it took months to recover; so use the ice and brace and when it starts hurting stop what you are doing(it'l make you learn to cast left handed)-p-
pmed8

Post by pmed8 »

my last turn with tennis elbow was accompanied by golfers elbow. never even knew there was such a thing. anyway, it took mine 13 months to be pain free. tried the brace and the ortho gave me several rounds of different steroids. it would start to feel better, but then come back as soon as i finished the meds. ice seemed to make it feel better for a while. resting the muscles that are affected is best, but thats hard to do. hope yours improves quickly.
Barry's Dad

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy PIC
The pain you are feeling is from inflamed tendons at the point it hooks to the bone.
Like any inflammation Aspirin or Non aspirin helps reduce the swelling and pain. REST it. I mean for 4 to 6 weeks. Much like a broken bone it has to heal. The band will remind you, if the pain does not.
Remember that Stopping the rod is better than throwing it. Much easier on the body if you open your stoke.
For you cast with the other hand for a while.

ol Al
flankman

Post by flankman »

pmed8 wrote:my last turn with tennis elbow was accompanied by golfers elbow. never even knew there was such a thing. anyway, it took mine 13 months to be pain free. tried the brace and the ortho gave me several rounds of different steroids. it would start to feel better, but then come back as soon as i finished the meds. ice seemed to make it feel better for a while. resting the muscles that are affected is best, but thats hard to do. hope yours improves quickly.

One thing that helps me and I am over 60 is when casting a one handed rod go to a more side arm backcast and it will take stress off elbow because it does not bend as much (very little if I pivot at my hips) but the one thing that has helped me mort than anything is to go to a two handed rod (not a spey but just a 2 handed rod) I have a Temple Fork 2 handed rod in 6 wt and when properly used there is no stress whatsoever. Have a buddy who is a guide (late 50's) with a bad elbow and he has went to a 2 handed rod because of a bad elbow. Check out the Temple Fork Lefty Kreh professional series - 4 piece two handed rods. I have a 6wt and it is a joy to cast........After rest and you still have problems you might want to try this. Nice to see people like you and ol Al on here ..."OLD TIMERS FOREVER"
flankman

Post by flankman »

pearow wrote:Ice it often for a few days.; buy a brace; it fits over the forearm and prevents the ligament strain you are experiencing. Fish with a much lighter rod with the brace until it heals. I blew mine out like that with an 8 weight; it took months to recover; so use the ice and brace and when it starts hurting stop what you are doing(it'l make you learn to cast left handed)-p-
I will get the hang of posting a reply sooner or later- I think I posted in reply to pmed8- must be a senior thing... Flank
cabsav

Post by cabsav »

i have my chiropractor work my forearms, i think tennis elbow is only a step away from carpel tunnel syndrome. i will be a bitter old man if i have to get out my minnow bucket.
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Picaroon,
I saw a video one time with an orthopod showing how to perform stretches prior to casting, but can't remember where. I have found great benefit in seeing my chiropractor for neck, upper back and lower back pain and have heard he can help people with arm problems if they originate from the spine. Ice, ice, ice and I would see a doc for a prescription for therapy as they might be able to do some ultrasound or stretching therapy. I feel you pain. Just recovered from a leg tendonitis from training too much. Tendonitis is no fun.
Matt
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Matt, Please post it up here if you find it. I think a lot of us could benifit from it.

I'm getting pain not in my rod arm but on the opposite elbow. (I think I might have torn something moving the yaks on/off the trailer or hanging them up. ) :? :? :? :?

Going to the Glades and Keys next week and expect to do a lot of double hauling. Praying my elbow holds up. :roll:
Hook'em
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Hook'em »

I have tennis elbow pretty bad in my right arm. I am going to see the physical therapist next week and I know I will have to cease casting for a number of weeks.

Al - do you have any recommendations or tips for learning to cast with the non-dominant arm (i.e., best weight to start with, fast action or medium action, etc.)?

I can't see not fishing for 2 months.
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

Hook 'em.....let us know how you do with the PT
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

You guys got the problem from casting and I got mine from horsing big fish in btb. A muscle in my left elbow has been killing me for 9 months. Got so bad, I had to take pain medicine at night to sleep and had to wear an elbow support all the time......... I got one from Mueller that has a plastic patch on it and when I located the plastic patch on the hurting muscle, I finally got some relief.

The Doctor told me I need to give it 2-3 months total rest and I told him no way. I quit horsing those bull red and soon things seemed to get better. In fact, the past 3 weeks, I have quit wearing the elbow support. However this week, I have noticed the pain starting to return(dang sharks). I haven't tried ice, yet, but I may start driving home with my elbow in an ice pack. :)