Staple guns

Cut N Shoot

Staple guns

Post by Cut N Shoot »

What kind of staple guns do I need? I have pin nailers,siding nailers, narrow crown nailers,framing guns, t nailers 2 sizes, hammer tacker. I have planes,router,table saw,joiner still in the box for 3 years,planer never energized but out of the box,drill press,chop saw and table,knife grinder and forge and anvil. 4 foot belt sander. I have scrapers, respirator ,air brush,paint guns,palm sander. What else do I need to make this boat go together,oh I forgot I have 2 jig saws- besides plans and material? How about an epoxy pump do ya need one , or do we use the balance beam to measure like in airplanes or is the pump on the bottle accurate enough.
When glueing strips do you have to glue the whole edge or just spots to tack it to the form? You know Im gona change what ever it is I'm workin on because I can. Thanks if anyone wants to evaluate me I mean help ! :mrgreen:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Staple guns

Post by Pogo »

Most folks use a plain ol' Archer staple gn from the hardware store, shoots T-150 staples, or something like that, pretty standard stuff. I recently treated myself to an air stapler, took the hint from this guy: http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I love it; no more carpal tunnel syndrome, no more glue clogs, no more staple dents, especially when you run out (dang I hated that, you run outa ammo and the thing lets you know by putting a big dent in the wood instead of a staple). Dragging the air hose around is a chore, but I find it worth it.

What kinda "4 foot belt sander" ya got? An edge sander, or stationary belt sander with disc? Either way, I get tons of use out of both machines; it and my table saw tend to stay busy. Of the other tools you mention, I use the respirator, a cannistor type, and scrapers. Most the others just purty up the shop. Your mileage may vary. I just naturally seem to prefer using hand tools for boat building. Oh, don't forget the ROS (random orbital sander).

DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

I used a pin nailer on my strip boat.

Don't worry about the holes. They can be puttied up where they are hardly noticable.

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I use the old time Arrow T-5 stapler with 9/16" staples. When I become affluent because of being an internet tycoon I may buy one of those electric staple guns. Might not...
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

All info is stored away and I think you gents for the info . I have the T5 but no cushion cartalage between wrist and forearm bone what ever you call that almost wont move. Wear from the trade. Oh we all got it bad joints but air and electric is better and I think keeps the work where you shoot it. Any way thanks for the replies I didnt know if you could use the guns or not. Airplanes are mostly foam and touch of 5 min epoxy and your set. I have a table sander from grizzly with the disc. makes so much dust that when makin bows I usually just use a butcher knife to plane with . Makes fine curls.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Grerald I thought I was affluent once and then found out I was up to my chin in effluent. Had to go to the ar wash before I could drive home! :evil: Never trust a sand bagged sewer line manhole. :roll:
Birke

Post by Birke »

Staples???? We don't need no stinkin' staples!!

I avoid them at all costs. I hate woodpecker holes. Yes, I know 99% of the people can't see them, but I don't care, I can :)

Oh yeah....I do go through a few rolls of duct tape though....... :lol:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Birke: Does this mean you won't be taking that canoe down the Llano for next year's Great Castell River Race?
Birke

Post by Birke »

I'll take it down the Llano. I'll put scratches on my boat, but not staple holes :lol:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Good for you! These wood composite boats are much more durable than most people think.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote:Good for you! These wood composite boats are much more durable than most people think.
Yeah, and a lot easier to fix than the tupperware boats. :wink: Course I haven't broke my SOT in 3 years use, broke my Bumble Bee the third time out. Could be all them big heavy fish flopping around in the boat . . . :lol:

Seriously, I was amazed how easy these wood boats are to fix and they go back looking very good. I have welded my SOT a few times and even though it's strong you can tell it's been welded.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Oh, I don't know. I think Birke's canoe will fly to pieces if he gets it within 30 miles of the Llano river. Shoulda used staples, boy. :P
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

They told me I wouldnt get 2 miles into the race and the wood boat would be toothpicks.
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Someone really tell you that???????? :shock: :?
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Yep they did Pogo.
I passed him about three miles down river :D

I just figured out what I am doing wrong on my boats I don't have a staple gun :x
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

No staple gun??????? And you don't ROLL 'em either?!?!

Ron, you are hopeless. :horse:
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

That looks like the way to go.Thanks for showing that.