Epoxy - G-Flex by West - Thumbs down

Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Epoxy - G-Flex by West - Thumbs down

Post by Jerry-rigged »

I needed a small amount of epoxy to finish a paddle I am working on, and I was short on cash and time... no time to mail order some epoxy, so I ended up at West Marine. After choking on how much a pint of West epoxy + hardner would cost (over $60) I saw a package of West "G-Flex" epoxy - it was 1:1 mix, 2 8oz(?) bottles for $20, so I got it.

The bad - this stuff is THICK... it was too thick to brush on for a "flow coat" - I had to pour it on, squigy it out, then brush it to kind-of make it neat. Making glue with this stuff is tough too... add wood-flour till it is "katsup" and it will still run away when you are not looking. No way will I be able to use it to wet out some glass on my paddle... :( It did cure good, but (1) it blushes BAD, and (2) it gives the wood a strong yellow cast...

Anyway, my .02 - G-flex gets a thumbs down for this job...

:cry: :oops: :cry:
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Epoxy - G-Flex by West - Thumbs down

Post by mrkm1010 »

I didn't have much luck with it in fixing a crack in a scupper hole either. Ditto on the thumbs down.
fysherman

Post by fysherman »

mrkm...if I am not mistaken and this G-Flex is anything like Epoxy or Polyester resin...then it will not adhere to plastic...which includes kayaks...making it useless to fix a scupper...am I wrong??
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I would hate to see a thumbs down on an epoxy or material simply because an inappropriate choice. Thumbs down for price I can see--which is why I don't use West System stuff. Anyway--I also use a 1 to 1 mixture of thick epoxy from USComposites. I use it specifically for goopie, glue, stuff like that. Sometimes for small, quick repairs when I need the boat the next day. It's faster than my slow epoxy ( I guess anything would be faster than "slow" epoxy) It also blushes, but then so do almost ALL epoxies. Blush generally comes from the hardening or curing agent.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

fysherman wrote:mrkm...if I am not mistaken and this G-Flex is anything like Epoxy or Polyester resin...then it will not adhere to plastic...which includes kayaks...making it useless to fix a scupper...am I wrong??
True. Epoxy and polyester are not appropriate choices for use on a plastic boat. Some people have done it--but that still doesn't make it a good choice.
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

True, gerald, there are times when thick epoxy can be an advantage... but for general use (in my limited experience) thinner epoxy is easier to work with, both for flow coating wood and glass work. As for the thick epoxy making thick glue, true, it make very thick glue with 1/2 the woodflour of my normal epoxy, but after I let it sit for a few minutes, it ran like if I had made it thin :?: And as for blush, yes, most all epoxys blush, but this was BAD, the blush was so thick my first thought was the epoxy didn't cure... but then, maybe I am spoiled by Bateau's Marinepoxy - even with medium hardner, it had very little blush...

But, for you, gerald, I will revise my rating of G-flex-

If you have a job that needs a thick, gooey, yellowing epoxy, and you don't mind blush, then G-flex is the right epoxy for you. But for general boat-building tasks, I still give it a thumbs down.

Better? :)
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Heck--I'd have given it a thumbs down just for the price alone...!
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Hmmm I guess it is thumbs down.
By the way G/Flex epoxy is billed as "the perfect epoxy for an imperfect world. Recommended for use on wood plastic and aluminum. Makes permanent, waterproof repairs to wooden and plastic canoes and kayaks."

I never tried it but lets not knock the guy for putting it on a plastic boat. :)
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Man, I wouldn't know squat about West anything, and have an automatic bad attitude towards their very name because of those "awesome" prices. I grew up here on Galveston Bay and just got really accustomed to the marine trade being a great big stinkin' racket that seems to jack prices outa sight just because they can . . . and I tend to look at West Systems as a prime example.

But then, I keep wondering if I might be missing something. Every commercial shop I've ever had dealings with, mostly cabinet and sign makers, uses it exclusively. I always tell the owners I use epoxy that costs half as much to build my boats -- and I'm still alive, if you get the drift. So far I've seen exactly zero interest in hearing more. You'd think saying "half price" would get some kind of conversation going with a small business owner, but never yet. Gerald, do you have any idea how West Systems got such a lock on the epoxy market, and/or know if there's any real reason it costs so much more?

And while we're at it, what about MAS and other brands? Who actually makes it? Where? How? Hmmm, all of a sudden I just got really curious...
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

West Systems has been around a very long time. Longer than just about anybody else. If they weren't first it seems like they were. They have an adequate product and have vigorously marketed it with good examples. I have some of their books. I bought them when I switched from polyester to epoxy...and I used West System Epoxy at the time. Most brands of epoxy are just like everything else. Made by few companies but mixed (formulated) by many.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

So there is no real difference that you're aware of, it's mostly a marketing/reputation coup (albeit earned the good old fashioned way)?

I also bought West Systems as my first epoxy in quantity larger than model airplane shop size. Used it for making a tool on which to grind a telescope mirror.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

I can't argue the merits of any epoxy outside of some that are made for concrete.

Fact is this G/flex is specifically made for repairs on different materials.

You can't pick up a Canoe & Kayak magazine without finding the ad.(hint)
I think we have gone way off topic, this discussion started with a very specific product. Granted it was not a good choice to finish the paddle. M/b not good for fixing the plastic boat?

But I am curious, has anyone else used it for it's intended purpose? I was thinking about putting some in the dry bag for emergencies.