Raising a seat.

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Raising a seat.

Post by bowgarguide »

Gerald
Does raising the seat affect the ideal length for a paddle and go over why you feel like a higher seat position is an advantage and what the benefits are.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Raising a seat.

Post by gerald »

Higher seating is much more comfortable. For us old codgers that makes a big difference. It's easier to get in and out of the boat. You can stay in the boat longer. you can see better. Any number of positives and some negatives. I prefer the higher seat for all the above reasons and more. Higher seating also allows more leverage while paddling and makes it easier to switch from double to single blade.
What you're looking for in the length of the paddle is that the blade be fully buried with a good stroke, parallel, and close to the boat. So...that means everything affects the length of a paddle. Most people use a paddle that is too long with blades much too big. A medium size or even smaller touring paddle is what most of us should use. My paddles are a bit too big--Epic Active Tourers (power paddles). Soon as I get a chance to build another paddle it will be with a smaller blade. May take a while since I'm behind on everything. This may be the only reason why I may buy another...
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote:Soon as I get a chance to build another paddle it will be with a smaller blade. May take a while since I'm behind on everything. . .
The hurrieder you go the behinder you get?

Is there really a time of catching up?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I thought the golden years were a time of relaxation and reflection. Boy was I wrong!