toggles or handes for kayaks

4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

toggles or handes for kayaks

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

my plans dont call for handles or "toggles" so how would i do it like in the pic. how do you seal up that hole....is two panels of 1/ 4 ply enoght or do you fill that void with something

pics might help too
Attachments
VCP-Kayak-Toggles-.jpg
VCP-Kayak-Toggles-.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 7335 times
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: toggles or handes for kayaks

Post by TexaRican »

Dr, I did this one on mine kind of copying something one of the gurus wrote. (sorry to the specific guru who is not getting credit here but all the tips tend to run together)

I built a dam in the end of the boat and poured epoxy goopie so that I had a solid triangle column of epoxy to drill a hole through. Some people turn the boat on end and do what is called an end pour but I did not have a place to turn a 16' boat upright. The exposed wood obviously needs to be sealed with a coat of epoxy and you are good to go. We'll see if it wears down but if it does, I'll probably just recoat it. In fact, I'm probably going to bore the hole a little bigger on one end so I can run a chain through there for locking the boat up.

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Do just like pepperfool said. Make the block of goopie (modified end pour) only as big as you need.

There are several methods but this is one way that is easy and works very well.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Pepper Fool what kind of knot is that ???
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

larry long shadows wrote:Pepper Fool what kind of knot is that ???
That one came from Birke. http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/i ... dknots.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'm pretty sure the modified end pour was Gerald :wink:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Couple additional notes:

Some people line the hole with small PVC pipe, copper tubing, dowel rod (that's then drilled through), etc., mostly for decorative effect. I'm sure it wears a little better and adds a bit of strength too, but it really isn't much of an issue.

I prefer to rough shape a wood block and goopie it in place in lieu of an end pour, to save weight. Also 'cuz I'm chintzy, and epoxy is expen$ive.

Boat builder forums routinely see plaintive posts from noob builders who's end-pour "dams" have failed, allowing a big huge mess o' goopie stampede all over their project. A true MESS. You have been warned.

If you use hard toggles, like that in the lead-off photo, a sea kayaker's trick is to loop a bungee around them and lead the cord back to the deck rigging or whatever, with a just little tension, to keep the handle from banging around while you're paddling. When you pick the boat up, the bungee easily stretches enough to allow the toggle anchors to take over.
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Pogo wrote:Couple additional notes:

Boat builder forums routinely see plaintive posts from noob builders who's end-pour "dams" have failed, allowing a big huge mess o' goopie stampede all over their project. A true MESS. You have been warned.
Don't build the dam with card stock and duck tape. The heat from the epoxy renders the adhesive on the tape completely useles. Don't ask me how I know :oops:
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

I HATE those toggles!

Try leading a fish around the bow or stern of your boat :x :x They catch the line, then if you're lucky enough to get the line free from them they pop loose and whack the hull with a loud POP (hello fish, man is here - beware! :roll:).

Kim
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Strider wrote:I HATE those toggles!

Try leading a fish around the bow or stern of your boat :x :x They catch the line, then if you're lucky enough to get the line free from them they pop loose and whack the hull with a loud POP (hello fish, man is here - beware! :roll:).

Kim
I was thinkin that might be a problem or getting caught on a limb my be some type removal one. Thanks Pepperfool for knot info
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

The first boat I built had hard toggles , the next one had the knotted ropes . the rope is a lot more user friendly quiter and simpler,a note I have hung a treble from a plug in the rope.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Gosh, ya'll are making this simple little task hard. I jam a piece of cardboard in there and hold it with masking tape. Never had one fail--ever. I do this modified "end pour" because it's neat and petit. I don't mix up a special batch for the end pour--I use left overs! The grab loop is just a row of simple overhand knots. Any good fisherman who ties his own lines has probably used the same thing many times. It's called an overhand fishing knot! Heck...Homer Circle showed me in Field and stream nearly a hundred years ago! There are probably 50 good ways to make grab loops. The wood handle is not one of them....
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

gerald wrote: The wood handle is not one of them....
With all of my boat building experience I agree. :D
Seriously, have you ever heard a piece of wood knocking against a hollow hull? Sounds like a drum. And you probably have a piece of rope laying around, so it's free. I will personally use nothing but rope handles from here on out. Easy on the hands also.

I did a small end pour and block. :roll:
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

bowgarguide wrote:a note I have hung a treble from a plug in the rope.
Ron
When that happens to me I get a bad case of "Sailor's Mouth" :)

Kim
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

If you revisit the photos of my canoe and OI from the Inks Lake gig, you won't see a whole lotta toggle action going on. Heck, I got the cleanest nose in the class! There are times when I think having toggles would be a good thing, and I've been thinking about 'em a lot 'cuz I have a half-done boat at home. This thread is, therefore, getting really, really good! :D

Kim, you're cracking me up, 'specially since I finally met you in person and can now visualize the foot-stompin' sailor-mouthed rant. :lol:

PS: Not really, folks, he hardly ever cusses. That's why it's so great when he does.
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

don't forget great big ole u-bolts. Not pretty but very functional. Talking about the bait hung in the rope, a red flag (piece of old t-shirt) stays on the front of my plastic boat. It's unreal how tippy that boat is when your perched out on the nose trying to unhang hooks from a t-shirt
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Zeke and kim
I am glad I am not the only one that does stuff like that,the funniest video would have to be one of us trying to get a hook out of the rope on the bow.
Now I just go to the bank are cut the line and retie.
Just watch that handle when you start to pull the boat up on shore,as me how I know.
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I went a different direction and mounted mine yak style with a pull handle.

Used stainless bolts through aluminum stock.

I also do the end pour but because I ALWAYS run into stuff.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Preacher
I tried those and they work,but carrying the boat with top mounted handles the boat was always banging into my legs. Also if you needed to line a boat down or up a river the higher you are the harder it is to control the boat.
Again as the head guru mister Gerald says there is no perfect boat.
Ron
T-Bart

Post by T-Bart »

Dad used copper tubing in the bow for tie downs on his strip canoe. Very strong and light, no leaks or wear.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

This is how I do them.