TPWD weighs in on "Kayak Registration"

yrag111

Post by yrag111 »

I am new to this site, and fairly new to Kayaking. I have been an avid fisherman all my life,and dont really want to pay any more taxes. I am sure at some point they will start regulating Kayaking. About developing launch sites, I Kayak in rivers that few others go down. I have no problem launching from under bridges, and there are allot of boat ramps that make for parking.I dont mind clearing debree for myself, and those after me. dont really need TPWD to do it for me. If they do start requiring registration I'll do that.
yrag111

Post by yrag111 »

I am new to this site, and fairly new to Kayaking. I have been an avid fisherman all my life,and dont really want to pay any more taxes. I am sure at some point they will start regulating Kayaking. About developing launch sites, I Kayak in rivers that few others go down. I have no problem launching from under bridges, and there are allot of boat ramps that make for parking.I dont mind clearing debree for myself, and those after me. dont really need TPWD to do it for me. If they do start requiring registration I'll do that.
Hambone

Kayak Fee

Post by Hambone »

I already pay a licence on my boat trailer,stamp on my boat,fishing licence fee ..what next a fee for canoes ? I own four yaks I would hate to pay fee to use them.
matagorda kid

Post by matagorda kid »

i have to say , i am with ron and beljason on this one . this is one of the reasons we got rid of our power boat . i agree , if they tag'em , people will say never mind . with out tags , people will still spend money for the outdoors . for those that live check to check , this may be their only outdoor time . i am not rich either , so if keeping tags off my yaks keeps my kids on the water , then i am against the tags.,, thanks letting me share my thoughts...
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

I support some kind of funding method that is fair and includes all users of the resource (that means us, not just the powerboaters, who also buy fishing licenses and fishing tackle). I actually was ready to go ahead and register my boats but I guess I'll wait and see what ideas they come up with. I'm not adverse to putting numbers on my boat and paying for it. I'd rather register my boat and have a say, than not and let the powerboaters dominate the decision-making process.

I also want to say I think TPWD is a great agency that has done a lot to not only maintain, but improve the quality of our outdoor opportunities in this state. They are also terribly underfunded. Our local Inland Fisheries Division could not provide anywhere near the level of support they do without private donations. It is a pitiful shame I think, that we are hollering bloody murder over what will wind up to be a measly $25.00/yr registration fee, when we enjoy so much.

Just FYI, under the current registration statutes, the homebuilt boats I paddle will cost (apiece):

$25.00 inspection fee (one time)
$25.00 title fee (one time)
$50.00 license fee (every other year).

Kim
Hambone

fees

Post by Hambone »

I am a big supporter of the Texas Parks And Wildlife. In my 16 years with the B.S.A program I have visited and camped at State parks through out the State. I know most of the parks are in need of funding with out funding some of our parks will have to be sold to generate revenue to help keep the others operating. I know floods devastated the State Park In Goliad. Enchanted Rock,Inks Lake,GooseIsland,Choke Canyon,Palmetto,Texana, ect ect are Treasures . I am Not a freeloader ! Maybe a Kayak permit to use on any yak in use would not be a bad idea. We could pay a one time tax upon purchase ......I know some of us are not in favor of any new tax.......This is a tough one!
Acuna

Re: TPWD weighs in on "Kayak Registration"

Post by Acuna »

I couldn't agree more with the others who unequivocally state that they are opposed to kayak registration in Texas. The last thing that we need is more taxation and registration on the activities that we as individuals choose to pursue. I don't mean to sound like I am going "Republic of Texas" with my next few statements, because I am certainly not. I am a proud citizen of this state and country, but government has just gotten too big for itself. Government as we know it today is so far removed from the ideals set forth by our forefathers when they created this great nation. These days our freedoms and liberties are eroding so fast it isn't even funny. A lot of people say that "It's inevitable" or "It was bound to happen sooner or later", and you know what- we don't have to think that way. We can stop this. We can redirect our government to better suit us, as individuals.

As a cop once told me when he was discussing his job. "I'm just enforcing the laws that the people enacted. It was the citizens of this state who elected their government officials, and it was those officials who enacted these laws. I am just enforcing the laws ultimately created by the people's choice." So get involved, even if it is just with your local government. Know the issues, be proactive.

Just say NO to kayak registration.

Just say NO to the loss of our civil liberties.

Just say NO to big government.

Whew! I need to go fishing... SOON!
Acuna

Re:

Post by Acuna »

Strider wrote:I also want to say I think TPWD is a great agency that has done a lot to not only maintain, but improve the quality of our outdoor opportunities in this state. They are also terribly underfunded.
+1 SO TRUE and I tip my hat to TPWD for the excellent job they do of not only preserving, but also enhancing our natural resources in this state. Kudos to TPWD.

On the funding issue, it is my understanding that a lot of the money initially supposed to fund TPWD got railroaded into the general fund and as a result there is a budgeting shortfall. I could be wrong on this, but I think this is the case.

As far as the registration fee, it isn't the amount that is appalling, it is the principle of the idea that I find offensive.
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

We want but don't want to pay. Sooner or later it will happen and if it's just a few dollars a year, say 5 or 6 and a two or three year tag or card that is okay. If they make it just a card you carry like a boat registration card it won't be so bad. The problem for me is that the process for getting anything done with registering a boat with TPWD is they make it difficult, frustrating and they hire the most pig headed folks I know who make it even slower and more difficult. When you buy a used yak it is gonna be a nightmare. They should be more like the DMV.
Fishing ROCKS

Re:

Post by Fishing ROCKS »

CharlesBronson wrote:Bad bad bad idea to require registration.
Next will be float tubes.
Then inner tubes.
Then waders.
Throwing more governmental control and additional charges at kayakers is just one more example of the ever-eroding loss of any and all freedoms to just enjoy the outdoors.
When I lived in Chicago (the longest, coldest, saddest, darkest 4 years of my life), I never used my yak due to the ridiculous number of fees and obstacles placed in the way of anyone wishing to enjoy nature.
That's why my wife and I LOVE Texas!
We appreciate the ability to go out, breath fresh air, hike, boat, and float along rivers, and not worry about paying the government for that simple pleasure.

O.k.
Rant over.
Then Swimmers?:? ....
sap

Post by sap »

TPWD got me on the year to date license for 45 or 48 dollars I dont remember. I had to buy the fresh and saltwater to get the YTD License, even though the closest i will come to saltwater this year is mixing it up for my aquarium at home.That' BS.

They get me everytime I buy fishing equipment with the sportsmans taxes, they are suppose to go to TPWD but good old Bush jr(rick perry) redirects the funds to other departments while the parks sit and rot in disrepair.

Its not like they are gonna install little kayak boat docks for kayakers only at major lakes or do anything else for me or our favorite past time. They dont even stock most of the small lakes I fish anyway. Screw another fee from the state, it will probably end up paying for some ridiculous project like a border fence or something else that has absolutely nothing to do with TPWD.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re:

Post by Roofish »

Mythman wrote:For all the reasons already quoted in this post and others, I am unilaterally and totally against kayak registration by any government entity, period!!
X2
wwjh99

Post by wwjh99 »

i would not mind paying a fee,as long as the money is used strictly for fisheries
dkc

Re:

Post by dkc »

Night Wing wrote:
Bigrock wrote:The cost of hunting and fishing in Texas continues to rise, little by little. Want to bow hunt? x-tra Want to fish saltwater? x-tra Turkey hunt? mo $ So much has been added over the years, we got used to it, so now it's the super sized combo, just like a damn burger. And they still keep cramming stuff into it. Mo' regulation....not this time.
The hard and sad truth is......"They are not at the mercy of us, we are at the mercy of them"....when it comes to them wanting money.
ever drove through state park,all those campers with kayak's stop going to state park,now who's mercy
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Kayaks and canoes and floatubes are about the only thing that hasn't been taxed.

Used to be you could put a trolling motor on a boat, and it didn't have to be registered.

Then they figured they weren't getting enough money from those using trolling motors, and changed that regulation.

Now they see the paddlers are popular so lets get something from them also.

Sure it may only be a few bucks to some here, but wait a minute it was and still is for now not taxed, so why change it?

If someone wants to truly help out TPWD, I'm sure they won't mind if you buy all their stamps and even mail in a donation to them, so they can use it wherever they please!
Fishingpeer

Post by Fishingpeer »

I finally signed up, yes, I'm a lurker. Not proud of it, but it is what it is. :D
This is my first post and the reason I registered. Just wanted to add my two cents. Many of us have boats already, some multiple boats that we keep registered. Two reason's I'm thinking about buying a "new" Kayak, I can throw it in the truck for a quick paddle or river trip, and you don't have to register it. If my Kayak,,, what about all those rowing shells and skulls. Will they be included, think they will be happy sticking registration stickers all over thier racing vessels, I think not. How about wakeboards and tubes.What about the out of state'r that comes to spend money and paddle in Texas, going to make them get a Temp permit before they can legally drop thier Kayak or Canoe in Texas Waters. I already have a gas powered and electric boat that are registered, why buy a "new" Kayak or Canoe that I have to paddle if I'm going to be forced to register it also.
Just reading this makes me uneasy, and rethinking a purchase from my local dealer, poor guy, he really needs the sale, he's good people.
Now or days rumors like these have a tendency to come to fruision. Just bringing it up has someone in high places seeing $$$$$$ signs.
Fishing without a License in public waters whether it be from the bank or boat, is poaching, and it happens alot in this state, I've also seen a more than a few expired stickers or lack of anything on jon's with motors over the years, and it's my understanding that if you own a power boat it has to be registered even if your not using it, hint hint TPWD. I paid $30 for my most recent freshwater and rarely do I harvest a fish, and I know I'm not the only one.
Piscado Loco

Post by Piscado Loco »

I tend to be against the idea of registering my boat. Paddling a kayak or canoe is a bit different than PB. We do not pose any dangers to water or noise pollution & we are not a danger to other people on the water. When was the last time you saw an OK Prowler baring down on you & were really concerned you may get run over? On the other hand I would love to see the parks doing more to get people to come out & raise money. You tend to find very uncaring people running those parks who do the bare minimum & then sit on their butts the rest of the time. If the parks are in such need of money then why can't they hold events & fund raisers like almost every other organization in America? I'd go out to most & make my fair share of donations. I sometimes even put an extra $5 in the box when I pay to use ramps at the local parks. I know we worked our butts off in high school to make our yearly band trip. No one paid our way for that. Just my 2 cents....

Fish On!
PaPaBear_tx

Post by PaPaBear_tx »

I am all for supporting our parks and water ways, but when is it enough? I already pay for a Super Combo fishing/hunting license, Lake Texoma fishing license, Ft. Worth Nature Center pass, State Parks pass, and a National Parks pass. Then add license plate fees for the camper and the yak trailer. I do not wish to add a fee onto that for my five kayaks. ENOUGH!!!!! :horse:
paddlesalot

Post by paddlesalot »

PaPaBear_tx wrote:I am all for supporting our parks and water ways, but when is it enough? I already pay for a Super Combo fishing/hunting license, Lake Texoma fishing license, Ft. Worth Nature Center pass, State Parks pass, and a National Parks pass. Then add license plate fees for the camper and the yak trailer. I do not wish to add a fee onto that for my five kayaks. ENOUGH!!!!! :horse:

AMEN!!!!!!!

The only thing my kayak burns is a few krispy kreme donuts!!!!!
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by W5CDS »

paddlesalot wrote:The only thing my kayak burns is a few krispy kreme donuts!!!!!
Can't find 'em around Tomball area. :( Hafta settle - :lol: - for Shipley's. :dance:
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

Piscado Loco wrote: You tend to find very uncaring people running those parks who do the bare minimum & then sit on their butts the rest of the time.
Man, you certainly aren't going to the same State Parks that I go to. What I see is those folks busting ass all day long to get people checked in, maintenance, patrols, etc. When you see the park vehicle drive by, he more than likely is on the way to the restroom to clean up someone's mess! They aren't just sightseeing.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Paddlefoot wrote:
Piscado Loco wrote: You tend to find very uncaring people running those parks who do the bare minimum & then sit on their butts the rest of the time.
Man, you certainly aren't going to the same State Parks that I go to. What I see is those folks busting ass all day long to get people checked in, maintenance, patrols, etc. When you see the park vehicle drive by, he more than likely is on the way to the restroom to clean up someone's mess! They aren't just sightseeing.
I couldn't agree more. My latest visit to a state park was at Inks Lake. I found the folks running the park to be energetic, courteous, and very professional. The park itself was immaculate. I was very impressed :D

Kim
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

I wouldn't necessarily mind a fee, but I don't think it should be per-boat. I think it would be onerous for those of us with multiple kayaks to have to annually register each one. What I would favor is a special registration for unpowered vessels under 14, that would allow you to register three for one low price.

I'd also like to point out that I see a lot of yakers using public boat ramps to drive a trailer containing a yak into the water, when they could have just as easily lowered the boat into the water elsewhere, even right next to the ramp, which would not have tied up the ramp for heavy boat users who really need it. It's a matter of courtesy, but also, if I'm seeing it, TPWD officials are seeing it, and when (not if) kayak registration comes up again, they are going to justify requiring all of us to register our yaks every year by saying that we use public boat ramps just like everyone else, and so we should have to pay the same fee per boat as everyone else. If we weren't using ramps, we would have more of a leg to stand on to have a much lower fee than other boaters.
Laura1670

Post by Laura1670 »

I'm definitely against registration for my yak. And as for TPWD? Well, all I can say is, have you ever been to a state park in Arkansas? They make Texas parks look really really REALLY REALLY bad! They don't charge exorbitant park fees, their facilities are superior, and their service is excellent. Yup! After visiting a few Arkansas state parks, I felt Texas had a WHOLE LOTTA room for improvement!

Just my two cent's worth!
TxRedbeard

Post by TxRedbeard »

Reefmonkey wrote:I'd also like to point out that I see a lot of yakers using public boat ramps to drive a trailer containing a yak into the water, when they could have just as easily lowered the boat into the water elsewhere, even right next to the ramp, which would not have tied up the ramp for heavy boat users who really need it. It's a matter of courtesy, but also, if I'm seeing it, TPWD officials are seeing it, and when (not if) kayak registration comes up again, they are going to justify requiring all of us to register our yaks every year by saying that we use public boat ramps just like everyone else, and so we should have to pay the same fee per boat as everyone else. If we weren't using ramps, we would have more of a leg to stand on to have a much lower fee than other boaters.
I confess I'm guilty of using a "heavy boat" ramp for my kayak at times. My feeling is if I get in/out quickly and don't block the ramp, that I'm not being discourteous. I never get any uncomfortable looks from powerboaters at the ramp, and instead find them very friendly and if anything curious about the kayak. But I do make it a point to be courteous, and I've helped more than one person get unstuck from the slippery ramp (I keep a chain and tow strap in my 4x4 truck). Also, I've never seen a TPWD (or other state agency) sponsored boat ramp that didn't require a fee to use them. I highly doubt state registration fees go to fund free city or county boat ramps, but I could be mistaken. I also don't think kayakers/canoes/jon boats, etc are the real problems at public boat ramps. I wouldn't even say those boaters (of any kind) who dawdle on the ramp instead of doing their prep work off to the side are the biggest problem at public boat ramps. The biggest problems at the ramps near me are the families that mistake them for children's swim beaches, dog parks, fishing piers, etc. At the ramp closest to me, it is the exception not to have children under 10 (at times under 5) playing directly on the ramp. At another ramp, I've even seen people setting up lawn chairs to fish right on the ramp itself, and watched the cops circle through the area and leave without even speaking to them. If I'm seeing it, the cops see it and the city is aware of it. And since they don't do anything about it, my guess is they really don't care what happens at boat ramps one way or another.