Colorado River Trip

Wesman2k

Colorado River Trip

Post by Wesman2k »

Some friends and I are planning to take a trip down the Colorado River this weekend. We will be leaving from Wharton and exiting in Matagorda Bay. Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers or comments about the river.. What we may need to be aware of. I have mapped out the river on google earth and entered the route that we plan to take into my GPS graph to help on spots for camping and rest points. I noticed a couple spots on Google earth that looks like there might be rapids or a dam or something. it's hard to tell what they are. Does anyone know?
davewave12

Re: Colorado River Trip

Post by davewave12 »

Wesman-
Check out5 this wrebsite for info on Colorado river campgrounds, rapids dams etc. It has some great maps of the area from Bastrop to Cokumbus. and if you feel adventurous you can even sign up for the race on Sept 5!
http://www.coloradoriver100.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bastropguy

Post by Bastropguy »

At one time, the LCRA published a Colorado River Guide that you could purchase for $5. I was able to get a copy of it from McKinney Roughs Park in Bastrop. Anyway, it has a series of maps in it that will tell you where you may need to portage and potential known hazards to be aware of. You may be able to find it online at:

http://www.lcra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise, you might try contacting them directly or one of their park facilities.

Good luck!
DNR

Post by DNR »

Sounds like a cool trip.
No advice for you as I have'nt made it that far down river yet, but looking forward to your report.
I'd love to catch a redfish out of the river.

The river guide that bastropguy mentioned has lots of useful infomation.