TPWD weighs in on "Kayak Registration"

hook-line&sinker

Post by hook-line&sinker »

If we have to have a permit.. I think it should look like this!

scupper2

Post by scupper2 »

I want no new taxes on small craft, period. I don't want a stamp, tags on my boat, ankle bracklet, etc. I also don't want a tax when I: bicycle, swim or wade in a body of water, go down a river in tube, float on my relaxation mat in the pool!

Licensing kayak would be akin to licensing bicycles and there isn't any talk of that happening either. The letter presented by b]TKFStubb[/b] (thanks for posting b]TKFStubb[/b]) states clearly the TPWD is not seeking to register kayaks. I think that no taxes on self propelled vehicles is the way to continue. TPWD knows that for every Kayak that is out there a majority of them have a fishing license that funded these projects to begin with. The funds they get from license sales generate a pool of money upon which a certain amount of projects can be budgeted from (and maintained). The cost of these projects is relatively small and if the money isn't available in the taxes we already pay, then I would suggest the way to fund such places would be a site charge. I don't agree with the thought of trying to pass the cost of individual projects on to a general group of people, many who would not benefit from the park's use.

I would also say that if it appears that it is imminent of happening, then complain, don't state in a thread that if it happened, you'd be for a small registration fee, whether its a stamp or a tag on your boat and certainly not before they are even talking about it! Thats begging them to look into it further as a revenue stream. Hell, summarizing the "Pro" tax people in this post (of course they'll leave out the "Cons"), a case for registration could be presented simply from the following quotes:
i to wouldn't mind paying a fee...
- BIG_B,
personally dont see anything wrong with a nominal registration fee
- DarrellS,
I dont have a problem with it
- FishingSETX, or
I like the "stamp" idea
- Night Wing

If a person or persons in a formed committee (in the future of course) in charge of making the decision whether or not to do this printed these quotes and presented them in a meeting, one could argue that allot of us Kayakers are for an additional tax than the one we are already paying.
indy ag

Post by indy ag »

happy thought :idea: ...if it'll just get appropriated to the general fund do you really think tpwd is gonna lay out the extra administrative and enforcement costs, at their option, to collect it?
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Scupper,

I'm pragmatic. These people at TPWD "aren't" elected officials. When faced with procuring more money for TPWD, they will do what they feel they have to do even if the outdoor public doesn't want any more taxes, fees, permits, stamps, etc. They're not concerned with your feelings. They're not concerned with my feelings. They want....M-O-N-E-Y....and that's the bottom line. Reminds me of the old adage....."You can pay me now or pay me later, but in the end, you will be paying me."

I would also like....peace on Earth and Good Will towards men, but I'm not going to get that either.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

indy ag wrote:happy thought :idea: ...if it'll just get appropriated to the general fund do you really think tpwd is gonna lay out the extra administrative and enforcement costs, at their option, to collect it?
If and when it happens,
I seriously doubt they will be beating end users up, but the dealers of new equipment will probably make sure the paddlers are aware of the fee as will sellers of fishing licenses. I suspect there will be quite a grace period depending onthe game warden involved.

It will probably not get appropriated to the general fund as before. The lawsuit has been settled already.

TP&W was involved in a lawsuit with the Texas legislature for a very long time ( in the 90's) specifically to recover many millions of TP&W's own money that the legislature would not release from the general fund. When they finally prevailed, the legislature would not return the stolen money all at once and paid it out slowly over several years. The fact that these annual payouts have ended (or were about to end when the interview was done in late 2007) is what started the desperate search for new revenue strings.
Dedicated funds:
The precedent was set in the court ruling that earmarked funds could no longer be retained (stolen) by the legislature hence the intent to start dedicating specific use fees for that group paying the fees. This will be part of the legislation that authorises collection of the fee. This interview was done just a few months before Carter took office.
Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Maulwalker »

How come this political discussion hasn't been moved? Oh yeah, it's because only officially-sanctioned political discussions are permitted on public forums in TKF.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Might be due to the fact TPWD is a state agency whose officials aren't elected by the general public. This topic is what I call a "gray area". :wink:
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Maulwalker wrote: How come this political discussion hasn't been moved? Oh yeah, it's because only officially-sanctioned political discussions are permitted on public forums in TKF.

I do not think this is a political discussion. Even if it is this is a topic tha effects everyone that owns a kayak,not just the guys/gals in the General Group.
Darrell
Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Maulwalker »

Of course a discussion about whether or not a state body could or should impart a tax on the people is a political discussion. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

And to clarify, I am not in favor of hiding this discussion behind closed doors. I was pointing out that the hypocrisy of the powers-that-be here only allow political or religious discussions that they sanction. That is not healthy in a democracy, and it doesn't matter whether or not it's "just a fishing website."
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

It's really not a tax. More like a fee. No different than paying a fee for a fishing or hunting license.
dwilliams35
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by dwilliams35 »

Maulwalker, I don't remember anybody bringing up the name of the governor, nor mentioning "democrat" or "republican" once in this thread: it's not a political thread. It's a thread about something that we as kayak fishermen (and women) face and will be facing in the process of doing what we love. Quite like the requirement that we have pdf's on board, whistles or horns, lights at night, etc. etc. etc.: there's no difference whatsoever: Just because it comes from the government doesn't make it political. Intrusive, yes: political, not necesssarily.... In case you didn't notice, governmental regulation and taxation isn't going away, and we either face it now or will have to face it in the future.

As far as "sanctioned" threads, I'm sure Stubb, if he was less tactful than he is, would not hesitate to suggest that if you don't like the rules here you are perfectly welcome to start your own very successful internet forum, paying for the web design and upkeep, hunting down advertisers, etc. etc., where you can put whatever you want right up front for anybody to see. TKF isn't a democracy.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Easy folks.
This was posted by Stubbs for information.
Right now according to the letter nothing is in the mill as far as a fee is concerned.
Ron
tenball

Post by tenball »

Eneough is enough here !Just because folks fish from a plastic boat(kayak )and enjoy it we dont need THE MAN or our over zealous members making this into a crusade and carrying banners.I personally am swamped by registrations,licenses,memberships,taxes,rules ,regs on and on.Please leave my yak ,Beer drank in front yard and large breasted females alone ..Its all I have left
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

tenball wrote:Eneough is enough here !Just because folks fish from a plastic boat(kayak )and enjoy it we dont need THE MAN or our over zealous members making this into a crusade and carrying banners.I personally am swamped by registrations,licenses,memberships,taxes,rules ,regs on and on.Please leave my yak ,Beer drank in front yard and large breasted females alone ..Its all I have left

:lol: :lol:
Knot Right

Post by Knot Right »

Most kayak anglers save money after converting to a kayak. There is already a Federal Excise tax on all fishing tackle sales. If guys are spending less on their ride and they are anything like me, then they buy better toys. These fishing toys are already generating excess revenue. Every person that gets into kayaking is spending money in other areas that substantially offsets any revenue loss from not paying a registration fee. If this passes, it won't be long and you will have to have numbers on your legs or register your booties to go wadefishing......
Chad
Aitsurido

Post by Aitsurido »

High five for tenball. Great minds think alike....and in 8 more years, tenball for president!

I can see it now, me sittin' in my lawn chair in the front yard with a beer in one hand and a waterhose in the other sprayin' the kids as they ride their bikes around the house till the street lights come on. Trick IS to get em to ride all over the yard so it gets watered evenly.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Bad bad bad idea to require registration.
Next will be float tubes.
Then inner tubes.
Then waders.
Throwing more governmental control and additional charges at kayakers is just one more example of the ever-eroding loss of any and all freedoms to just enjoy the outdoors.
When I lived in Chicago (the longest, coldest, saddest, darkest 4 years of my life), I never used my yak due to the ridiculous number of fees and obstacles placed in the way of anyone wishing to enjoy nature.
That's why my wife and I LOVE Texas!
We appreciate the ability to go out, breath fresh air, hike, boat, and float along rivers, and not worry about paying the government for that simple pleasure.

O.k.
Rant over.
rickt300

Post by rickt300 »

I already spend a bunch of money to hunt and fish in Tx. I have two boats with motors that I pay insurance and for TPWD stickers and numbers on both. Also after watching the antics of TPWD and their public hunting program I think a number of those guys should be in a different line of work or unemployed, fine example ; how Richland Creek WMA is run.
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

FishingSETX wrote:If this is going to actually benefit kayakers and not go into the general fund, then I dont have a problem with it. I think they ought to leave off the titling and numbering of yaks though. Maybe a registration card for each yak. This would cut out the titling fees. Maybe just a registration card with the kayaks serial number on it that you are required to show when asked by a warden. I think this would solve both the problem of high initial cost and of the numbers staying on.

One other option would be to not license a yak, but the paddler. Basically just a stamp on your fishing license or if you just paddle, they could set up their system to sell just the paddling stamp. Basically if you have ever bought an LPU permit, you know what I mean.

Again, if the funds were allocated to assist in building yak launches and paddling trails, i dont see a problem with it. no different than donating money for these purposes and I would imagine no-one on here would be against donating $10-$15 per year if access to good fishing/paddling locations was improved!!
My exact thought. They could issue a card like the ones we have for our pb's or like you said a paddling stamp. I'm in for that. Oklahoma makes you register your yaks and charges their $5 fee on top of that with every fishing or hunting license. We need the programs and enforcement so how do WE help?
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

Unequivacabally--NO, NO, NO, NO.................
Yakety Yak

Post by Yakety Yak »

It amazes me how a nation of once FREE people can be socialized into believing that the state, Federal Government, and the hundreds of agencies can do what they want to. It has gotten to the point that they really don't care what we think. They have brought our country to the brink of financial collaps with poor management and a worthless (Fiat) money system. Rules, regulations, licenses, fees, etc... has eroded away our finances and freedoms. The intent of our founding fathers was to keep government SMALL. I wonder how many people really understand what freedom is really all about. I am with everyone on this site that says No...No...No... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: especially at a time when we are on the virge of a deep depression. Also we don't need improved ramps, or trails to put our kayaks into most waters. We already pay to fish and be on the water, and we also pay state tax on the yaks....just earmark that for the Texas Parks and Wildlife.
Billy
J-Man

Post by J-Man »

No fees please!
BullyARed
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by BullyARed »

Then what next? Your body dips in water? What they need to do is to look at a broader picture on state government spending! There are perhaps lots of wastes there that must be trimmed!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Mythman wrote:For all the reasons already quoted in this post and others, I am unilaterally and totally against kayak registration by any government entity, period!!
I absolutely agree. I don't believe for one second it would go to kayakers. They'd spread it all around to other b.s. programs or to some other department in the state.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

scupper2 wrote:....allot of us Kayakers are for an additional tax than the one we are already paying.
you can pull a quote from just about every post on this topic to either support it or be against it no matter the original posters intentions. I state my position again,

I am not for it, but it is inevitable no matter how hard we fight it. TPWD personnel are not elected and when they decide to do it, it will be done. If and when it happens, I just hope they chose the stamp method and not the registration method.