HLSR - Poultry Auction/TKF Gathering Idea

bk9824

HLSR - Poultry Auction/TKF Gathering Idea

Post by bk9824 »

Stubb recommended I post this topic in the Saltwater arena and not just Off Topic...

I'm a member of the Poultry Auction Committee with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and I'm collecting money to be given as scholarships to the student exhibitors after the auction.

We not only accept pure cash donations, but we also sell completely processed chickens and turkeys like you'd buy at the grocery store. Each pen of either 6 chickens OR 1 turkey costs $50. My office typically gathers money, purchases a number of birds, and then has a BBQ. There's no limit to how many birds you can purchase, so the more the merrier. The birds are fully frozen to ensure freshness and longer storing periods.

I was thinking that a TKF BBQ/fishing trip with the birds purchased from donations by site members would be a fun gathering idea. The birds aren't available for pick up until May/June so it would be perfect timing for the start of the summer fishing season.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes, especially in today's economic climate, but all the money goes directly to the scholarship fund and the kids do a fantastic job. The idea is that a lot of people will donate small to build up to a large contribution that will return a lot of chickens.

In addition to supporting a great cause, all donations are tax deductible.

If there are any business owners that read this post and are interested in donating with your company name, there are other perks for a larger individual donation. I'll be glad to give details if you'd like.

I'll be happy to provide any membership details, qualifications of authenticity, etc if anybody would like to verify that the money donated goes to the HLSR.

I'm game for any and all ideas on how to collect money if people are interested in donating.

I apologize for the long read, and thank you for your consideration in helping the students of Texas!

All the Best,

Ben Kleinsasser
bk9824

Post by bk9824 »

bump ttt
Yak Kitty Yak

PAC

Post by Yak Kitty Yak »

How long have you been on the PAC committee?
I would donate some of our chickens to a TKF BBQ. We buy a lot of them.
My wife has been on the PAC committee for eight years and my daughter is a rookie this year. Last year we had to buy a new freezer on the way home from Glaziers so we would have room for 64 chickens. All of those free drinks at the auction make you buy more than you anticipate.

Good Luck!
bk9824

Re: PAC

Post by bk9824 »

Yak Kitty Yak wrote:How long have you been on the PAC committee?
I would donate some of our chickens to a TKF BBQ. We buy a lot of them.
My wife has been on the PAC committee for eight years and my daughter is a rookie this year. Last year we had to buy a new freezer on the way home from Glaziers so we would have room for 64 chickens. All of those free drinks at the auction make you buy more than you anticipate.

Good Luck!
This is my 3rd year. Who are your wife/daughter? I'm sure I know them...

Yeah, I had my freezer completely stuffed after my first year. Dang fine eating birds if you ask me!

Thanks for the well wishes.
Last edited by bk9824 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

If I buy a turkey, can I name it Randall?
bk9824

Post by bk9824 »

spiny norman wrote:If I buy a turkey, can I name it Randall?
haha be my guest. But it might be a little weird eating a bird named Randall... :shock: :wink:
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

bk9824 wrote:
spiny norman wrote:If I buy a turkey, can I name it Randall?
haha be my guest. But it might be a little weird eating a bird named Randall... :shock: :wink:
I didn't want to eat it, I wanted to see it do algebra equations.
Yak Kitty Yak

Post by Yak Kitty Yak »

BK9824,

My wife is Staci and daughter Mandi Ready.
bk9824

Post by bk9824 »

bump again ttt...

I'm still taking donations and ideas on getting a gathering up and working.