Keith Lake?

Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Keith Lake?

Post by Flatfish »

Keith lake is my favorivte fishing spot, especially on an incoming tide right where the boat cut empties into the lake. But, the ships moving down the intercoastal canal have swung my powerboat around on it's anchor as three feet of shoreline got sucked dry when they passed.

I'd love to fish there in my kayak but getting an anchor to hold when a ship passes seems impossible, perhaps the answer is to launch at the bridge, paddle like crazy to get there, then get out on the shore and sink up to my knees in mud.

Does anyone fish the opening of the lake and if so, what do you do? Where do you launch? I've seen a kayak up against the small pile of rocks on the right before I ever owned a yak and never considered the hazards that he faced.

I've launched at the pine tree by the old Junior's launch but it is a long paddle to the cut, any suggestions?
rhinob

Post by rhinob »

i fish there a lot. i put my yak in right next to the little boat launch(kinda behind the few boards sticking up) in the cut. doesnt matter which way the tide is going, you can easily paddle towards the lake. however, there is usually a lot of tidal movement and getting my anchor to hold in the cut has been very difficult. the only success i have had is to throw it on the shore and fish the shorelines. once you get in the lake there is more shell and less current so anchoring up is easier but even at the opening the water is moving and i have to anchor up shallow. do be careful anywhere close to the concrete pier or ship channel. i wont hang around there due to the ships coming and going. very dangerous . maybe ill see you there sometime. im in a maroon land rover and a firebrick ultimate 12'.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

what kind of anchor are you using? I've never had a problam with a bruce anchor holding in keith lake or otherwise. the folding anchors dont hold nearly as well.
Mack

Pleading Ignorance

Post by Mack »

OK, you got me, where is Keith Lake?
afishinman14

Post by afishinman14 »

I believe it is just southwest of and adjacent to Sabine Lake and Sabine Pass. Literally the two almost merge into one...
cacciato71

Post by cacciato71 »

The only time that I fish that area is during the flounder runs. I usually just drift with the current in the pass and fish the edges. I would recommend a bruce anchor for sure. Never have had a problem with passing ships and there have been some big ones.
rhinob

Post by rhinob »

yes, im using a folding 3lb pronged? anchor. it doesnt hold in deeper water in a current at all. and keith lake is connected to sabine lake by way of the ship channel that leads off to the gulf. i think ive linked a good map on the home page here. check it :D
Redeye
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Pleading Ignorance

Post by Redeye »

Mack wrote:OK, you got me, where is Keith Lake?
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

rhinob wrote:yes, im using a folding 3lb pronged? anchor. it doesnt hold in deeper water in a current at all. and keith lake is connected to sabine lake by way of the ship channel that leads off to the gulf. i think ive linked a good map on the home page here. check it :D
just remember if you do not have out enough "scope", no anchor will hold well. It has been a while since I saw the figures, so if I remember right the correct amount of scope is 3X the depth (IE 10' deep = 30' anchor rope). It may even be a 4 to1 ration (IE 10' deep = 40' anchor rope). A short length of chain will really hep too.
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Pleading Ignorance

Post by Flatfish »

Mack wrote:OK, you got me, where is Keith Lake?
Instead of going over the bridge to Pleasure Island, you turn toward Sabine Pass, after you go over the tall intracoastal canal bridge, you will see a short, flat bridge usually with a lot of fishermen there. This is the boat cut that leads into Keith Lake, a great flounder spot.
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by W5CDS »

FishingSETX wrote:just remember if you do not have out enough "scope", no anchor will hold well. It has been a while since I saw the figures, so if I remember right the correct amount of scope is 3X the depth (IE 10' deep = 30' anchor rope). It may even be a 4 to1 ration (IE 10' deep = 40' anchor rope). A short length of chain will really hep too.
Actually, the proper scope is 7:1. If you're in absolutely flat water, 3:1 would do, but not with any wave action.
BossHogg

Post by BossHogg »

Ditch the folding anchor. Go with the Bruce.
Rotorman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Rotorman »

good rule of thumb for anchoring is you need 3x the length per 1x depth. so if its 25 feet like the keith lake cut behind fish pass you need 75 ft of rope. then it will hold perfect. thats how i do it to fish the tide there, but the coast line near juniors is much better for me....
Scottyboy

Post by Scottyboy »

I also put in at the bridge and never had a problem with my yak, but I always go to the lake. I did get caught in my Kenner at the cut and intercoastal. I was tied off to a piling and a big ship went by. While I was getting sucked out I hit another piling underwater and it pulled the boat sideways filling it with water.

Made me mad for being stupid and scared my wife. If I did fish the entrance of Keith I would go to the bank and pull up my yak any time a ship went by.