Question about skin diving/spearfishing

Surfnangler24

Question about skin diving/spearfishing

Post by Surfnangler24 »

Anyone here paddle out to the blue water (or just clear water in general)when its calm or out to the rigs and freedive down to spearfish or even scuba? Just curious if anyone is doing it or is interested...seems interesting to me. What about are there any places worth freediving fresh or salt in the houston area? Texas Gulf Coast? State? Any help or info would be appreciated!
spots

Post by spots »

i used a yak while i freedove (spearfished w/out scuba) in hawaii to carry extra gear with me and a cooler for fish. being attached to just a float with stringer for fish is standard in hawaii but also an invitation for reef sharks and greys with bleeding struggling fish that are just dragging behind you in the water.
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

I have an agreement with the fish. I don't go down after them if they don't come up after me. And we all know how thin that line is in a kayak. :lol:
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Question about skin diving/spearfishing

Post by Crazy Yak »

Surfnangler24 wrote:Anyone here paddle out to the blue water (or just clear water in general)when its calm or out to the rigs and freedive down to spearfish or even scuba? Just curious if anyone is doing it or is interested...seems interesting to me. What about are there any places worth freediving fresh or salt in the houston area? Texas Gulf Coast? State? Any help or info would be appreciated!
If a group could ever plan a rig trip to Port A / Corpus then I'm up for it (Freediving or Scuba). In early December if I still had my 7mm I would have went back to West Bay to go Diving, it was extremely clear. There's a group that dives Offats in the winter months. Port A and Mansfield Jetties are also possibilities when the water is clear.

Also, if you've been diving a while and comfortable with current, deeper depths, and open ocean diving then check out the Flower Garden Marine Sanctuary trips. I recommend going in July or August when the seas are calm, there's plenty of Manta Rays and Sharks that time of year also.
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by W5CDS »

Parrothead wrote:I have an agreement with the fish. I don't go down after them if they don't come up after me. And we all know how thin that line is in a kayak. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Quesion along the same lines, Anyone ever scuba from their yak? I've been thinking of getting my certification, but dont know if it would be worth the $$ if I only got to go once or twice a year. Anyone knoe what the regs are where you can go? Thinking of rayburn, toledo or BTB when calm.
bk9824

Post by bk9824 »

I did my certification in college and just by all the wiggling, situating, etc etc that's required to get suited up, I don't think it's possible in a yak.

If you can figure out a way to get your tank, etc on while sitting in a yak you're a genius and pls feel free to share the knowledge on how you did it.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Let me know if any of ya'll are doing this because I am definentely up for it. I also have extra guns I can loan out.

As for suiting up in the kayak, I'd just inflate my BC, toss the dang thing in the water, and put it on there. Being weightless helps alot. I would probably rather freedive though.

The main thing, especially on the upper coast, will be finding a day with visibility enough to make it worth while. It will probably just be on-the-fly, although there are nice "ice cream" days in the summer where the conditions stay good for a couple of days.

I'll bet there are are ling and mahi around weedlines and some snapper around the short rigs.

Fish not biting? Try spring steel, fast presentation :D
DB
Location: Planning, engaged in, or recovering from a fishing trip"

Post by DB »

Dang man, I bet that AJ took you for a ride :shock: ....or did you put him to sleep with the spear ?
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I was fortunate enough to stone him, they are real powerhouses when not paralyzed though.
justindfish

Post by justindfish »

bk9824 wrote:I did my certification in college and just by all the wiggling, situating, etc etc that's required to get suited up, I don't think it's possible in a yak.

If you can figure out a way to get your tank, etc on while sitting in a yak you're a genius and pls feel free to share the knowledge on how you did it.
You don't put you tank/BC on in the yak you fill the BC with just enough air to float and then get in the water and slip it on. Then strap on your weight belt.

Never done it that way but that is the way I always thought it was done out of a yak.
daniel78222
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by daniel78222 »

back in the summer there was a couple of guys that wentr out to the rigs at port A and got some snapper and other fish all out of the yak and freediving
BarnflyBruce

spearfishing

Post by BarnflyBruce »

Fisherman for life, diver for thirty years, kayaker for one. As to the difficulty of diving out of a kayak: not a problem at all. As to the visibility outside of tropical waters.............not very good. Although many spend $$$ diving in FW I fail to understand why they don't spend their money on cheap plane tickets. You can still dive the carribbean cheaply.

Legitimate spearfishing is done by freediving, laws vary by governing umbrella, but no spearfishing records are recognized unless done w/o scuba gear or breathing assistance(i.e. freediving only). It has become one of the most extreme of all sports. Google a bit and you will get a taste.

If one has done considerable diving you will see why this is so. Large fish do not see you as a threat, and often come to you to investigate or look for handouts. Kind of like shooting deer running to a deer feeder.

If you want to get serious first learn to hold your breath for 3-4 minutes, then see if you can get a captain to drop you down to intercept a giant bluefin in the open ocean ! You couldn't get me drag around a bleeding fish in ocean for nothin......and I love to dive. Good Luck !
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Ahh the elitests, there's some in every bunch :roll:

Real fisherman use lures only, not bait... or was that fly fishing is the only real way?

Archery is the real way to hunt deer, rifles are cheap, actually, recurve bows are the only way....

I could "legitimately" care less how you do it as long as you abide by the laws. We are all out doing what we like, and quarreling amongst ourselves is only going to make it easier for the antis to take it all away
aggie_pirate

Post by aggie_pirate »

I am a Scuba Instructor and dive from my phoenix 140 all the time. I simply place all my gear in rear tank well, paddle to where I want to dive. I usually wear my wetsuit while paddling, at least just the legs part. MY tank, BCD, and regs are already put togetehr before I leave land. In class I teach students how to put on the gear in the water, easy than on land IMHO. I throw my gear in the water that is hooked to a line which is hooked to the kayak, which is anchored. Jump in the water, put on the gear. Have at it diving! As for spearfishing, HECK YEAH, love that stuff. Paddle out to either the 3,5, or 8 mile rigs from PINS and freedive or scuba those. Whenever I spear a fish I come back up and throw it ion the cooler right then and there, too worried about inviting uninvited guest. Getting back in the kayak is just as easy when done diving. Take gear off in the water, hook to drift line, get in yak. Pull line to you, pick up gear and tie it down again in back. And paddle back home.

If anyone in the San Antonio or Houston area is thinking about getting Scuba ceritifed I can answer any and all questions. Been an instructor for 2 years now with well over 3500 dives under my weight belt!!

Gig'em
Olde Farte

Post by Olde Farte »

If any one is interested in going spearfishing after some big fish, you really should have a power head of sorts on the end of the spear. Otherwise, speaking from 30+ years of experience, getting towed around a rig by a big amberjack or grouper is no fun with the only prospect being loosing your gun or getting hurt.

I have what is termed a "Fast Load" it is in essence a .357/.38 cal mechanism that screws onto the end of a spear and detonates when it hits the fish (best behind the gil plates on the lateral line) you then reload while underwater, and go over, collect your prize & continue. If anyone has an interest in these, pm me & I can send you a picture. Have had a few small-large hammerheads get nosy, but I generally have a 20- 30 foot stringer that I can detach easily in case of trouble. So far never have had a problem.

I may grow older, but I'll never grow up! :wink:
Olde Farte

Post by Olde Farte »

FishingSETX wrote:Quesion along the same lines, Anyone ever scuba from their yak? I've been thinking of getting my certification, but dont know if it would be worth the $$ if I only got to go once or twice a year. Anyone knoe what the regs are where you can go? Thinking of rayburn, toledo or BTB when calm.
Unless you are a very strong swimmer, and until you have a number of hours logged, and advanced certification (or several) hold off on offshore diving. There can be a lot of surprises out there. Dead calm on the surface doesn't mean the same 40 to 60 feet down. Getting swept away from the rig by a surprise rip is no picnic. I would recomend always having a 3rd party preferably in a PB up top on case of emergency where time can be crucial.

Just MOHO, but my daddy said a wise man learns from the mistakes of a fool.

I admit, there have been a few times when I was that fool.

I may grow older, but I'll never grow up! :wink:
Surfnangler24

Post by Surfnangler24 »

Thanks for the replies/interest. I am looking to start doing this, although maybe when it gets a little warmer or certainly at least clearer. I am a strong swimmer, avid surfer and whatnot, and I know my way around most waters so I think I am good to go but would certainly like to do this venture with some people with experience (and certainly never without at least one or two others from a safety standpoint). I do not have SCUBA certification, at least yet, so I would be freediving. One last question, anyone know of or have links to some other good spots in Texas to go dive. I know of the mammoth lake spot around the Freeport area but I've heard because of its stagnance visibility isn't great, so is there anywhere that is? Thanks again
aggie_pirate

Post by aggie_pirate »

are you talking about spots to freedive or spots to scuba dive around Texas?
Surfnangler24

Post by Surfnangler24 »

Either. I don't think I am far from getting SCUBA certification.
aggie_pirate

Post by aggie_pirate »

At the coast: Any offshore oil rig is amazing diving. Kinda technical diving but not too bad.

San Antonio Area: Medina Lake, Canyon Lake, Medina River, Comal River, Uvalde River, Lake Travis (Austin), Boerne City Lake

Houston Area: Blue Lagoon (Huntsville)

El Paso: Lake Amistad

Not too familiar with the DFW area.

I do alot of my diving in Medina Lake, Medina River, Comal River (teach classes here), and offshore rigs.

Freediving anywhere at these spots...
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Okay, we need a Kayak Scuba & Spearfishing Forum!!!
Surfnangler24

Post by Surfnangler24 »

Thanks Aggie_Pirate, I'm going to have to write those down and check them out.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

aggie_pirate wrote:
Not too familiar with the DFW area.
I think I've dove every mudhole in the DFW area...

Clear Springs Scuba Park (Terrell)
Athens Scuba Park, Rock Quarry
Oasis Scuba Park, Rock Quarry (Denton)
Tyler State Park
Possum Kingdom Lake
Squaw Creek Resovoir
Broken Bow Lake in SE Oklahoma, worth the drive.
Missle Silo (Midland), never got the chance to do this one, trip cancelled.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

I don't know if he is still around, but there was a "gentleman" named Nyle Everett that worked at Scuba Inc. / the Ocean Corporation in Houston in the 1970's.

He was, to me, the epitome of free diving and I have done a LOT. I won't try to re-live any of his escapades in hope that someone knows him or of him and might fill some in.
He was a Surface Supply Diving instructor at Ocean Corporation and would sit at the bottom of the 40 foot well head tank with the guys getting rat hat or Mark V certified. They were on SS air and he was working them through the exercises just breath holding. He taught me to relax and not worry about how deep I was. He also humbled me on several occasions when I was starting to believe my own press.

My first certification was a SCIP card in 1965. I chased Hurricanes raising commercial boats and even recovered planes for the NTSB. I still have a decent collection of Carter bags and AGA (single side band equipped) full face masks. I have neglected them for a long time and need to fix that.

I have done my share of spearfishing while free diving on both coasts, the Caribbean and most of the gulf but lost interest in it years ago. After I transplanted from the coast in the late 70's, I used to frequent the cliffs at Eisenhower Park on lake Texoma at night to collect a decent catfish or two for the weekend. They would come up from the river bottom to the shallower (10' - 20 ') rocks after dark. A flashlight and a Hawaiian sling or short pneumatic spear-gun at night was a hoot.

I never thought about using a bang stick on game fish, but I guess that would work if you were just harvesting meat. My version of a safety device was to attach a CO2 emergency float to my spear gun or sling with hopes of finding it (perhaps fish still attached) if lost. Never had the occasion, but did lose a couple of large ones that fought and pulled the expanded head straight back through the meat. A bang stick would have prevented that I guess, but I would have missed some great U/W sleigh rides.

Kayaking out to the closer rigs might in fact be a fun day and a really fun night if the transport was a PB. While I don't have any qualms about scuba from the yak, the free diving still holds the most interest for me, but I think I would be probably be armed with my Nikonos now.