Hey Chavez, got a new challenge for you

ditch_fishcatcher
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Hey Chavez, got a new challenge for you

Post by ditch_fishcatcher »

Try this out before you go to Mankins next time.

http://flyfishga.com/gar.htm

It sounds crazy, but could be pretty awesome!!!!
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

Hey Bill,

It'll be some time before I head to the San Gabriel. I may try it though. If I do, will you help me remove those flies from their teeth? :lol:
ditch_fishcatcher
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

chavez wrote:Hey Bill,

It'll be some time before I head to the San Gabriel. I may try it though. If I do, will you help me remove those flies from their teeth? :lol:
uh........no
cameradoc

catching gar with rope!

Post by cameradoc »

I have done this with a regular spinning rig. While fishing the Colorado River, just below Bastrop, the fishing died (LMB, smallies, yellow bass all stopped. While resting and wondering, we saw 4' female gar with eager 2' males rutting around each of them. Having just seen an article about using nylon rope as a basis for a gar lure (all this was 20 years ago!), i took a 9" jag of anchor rope, tied a half hitch at one end, unwove, fluffed it out. I stuck it in the water and moved it along, stopping and going. It looked like angle hair pulsing in the water. I tied my line directly behind the knot, wet it again for mass, and cast out. On the second pulse of the lure, BAM- fish on! And so it went for 1 hour, 20 fish caught and released (all male in the 2' range), 4 lures (one still good after the mayhim), a few puncture marks and cramps from laughing so hard and the rediculousness of the whole situation. So, think about that rope next time the fishing slows down and you sight the gar!
ditch_fishcatcher
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Ok, I might officially be up for this and I know just the spot. We would be catching fish all darn day.....