Shimano reel companrison: symetre vs sahara vs sedona

Charlie23

Shimano reel companrison: symetre vs sahara vs sedona

Post by Charlie23 »

DOes anybody notice the difference between these 3? Only difference i see on the specs is Symetre got 4 ball bearing and the rest got 3..... but we're also talking about $30 price difference.

thinking about getting one of these since it's on sale at Sports Authority, but hard to decide which 1?!?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The best place to compare their specs.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... nning.html
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

I've had good luck with my Symetre..it's going on two years now without any problems.
Bighead

Post by Bighead »

The wife and I have had a pair of Shimano Symetre 2500's that are going on 3 years with ZERO problems.

Trust me...they've been fished HARD, tackling large reds, jacks, spanish and black drum from a kayak in Louisiana and Texas.

The only thing I've ever done was hose them off when I got home, shook off the excess water, and then sprayed them down with Reel Magic...oh yes, each year, they get a new loadup of Power Pro 8 diameter/30 lb test line.

I am about to make my first 'break' from the Symetre and go with a new Stradic 3000 on my custom Billy Stix rod that my superextraordinaryincrediblyhotsuperwife got me for Christmas.

:)

One more thing...I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the reels from Shimano. I have a Slade 4000 on a Shimano Sojourn 7' spinning rod with 50 lb power pro on it. I've abused it, used it, beat on it, and I can't kill the thing. I have less than $80 in the setup, including the line, and it's still smooth, the drag works great, and it's probably been the setup that's responsible for the most reds put on my grill.

I don't work for Shimano, I don't get paid by Shimano...I just fish a LOT, and I love their products. I have NEVER had one fail me...I cannot say the same for other brands.

Bighead
Tumtum

Post by Tumtum »

I have a symetre 2500 on a speck and red catcher from FTU and it has held up really good over the last year and a half. It has caught its share of reds, specks and flounders. My cousin has borrowed this setup from me and we have fished every weekend for the last two months. I just rinse it off with water, dry it off and add a couple of drops of oil and its as good as new.

Can't say anything about the other reels, have never fished one. But my guess is that the will hold up real good. Just as any other shimano (thats just my opinion). Just as long as you take care of it.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I have 4 Sedonas'. Love these spinning reels. :D
Tumtum

Post by Tumtum »

I have a symetre 2500 on a speck and red catcher from FTU and it has held up really good over the last year and a half. It has caught its share of reds, specks and flounders. My cousin has borrowed this setup from me and we have fished every weekend for the last two months. I just rinse it off with water, dry it off and add a couple of drops of oil and its as good as new.

Can't say anything about the other reels, have never fished one. But my guess is that the will hold up real good. Just as any other shimano (thats just my opinion). Just as long as you take care of it.
Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O »

I have a couple of 2500 Symetre's and a 4000 Sahara. The Symetre is smoother and the maintenance port gives me the warm fuzzy (a few drops of oil and smooth as silk). The Symetre cast better as well. The Sahara is showing it's age. I've had it longer but fish the Symetres more.
DLopez

Post by DLopez »

I'm not nearly as pleased with my Sahara 2500 as I am with my Symetre 2500. The bail on the Sahara doesn't move as smoothley, and unless I manully close it after casting, it sometimes hangs midway between being open and fully closed. I've tried oiling it liberally and exercising it to 'break it in', but it still does that. I have just gotten used to having to close it manually.

I have had zero issues with my Symetres from day 1 however. I have a 2500 and 4000, both FI's. I use them with braided line, and between the silky smooth casting and the silky smooth retreive, it is a very pleasant fishing experience with the Symetres.

I have no experience with a Sedona, but I'm sure it's a fine reel, but can't comment if it's worth the extra cost over the Symetre reels.
deepseadweller

Post by deepseadweller »

My Sedona 4000 has done me well. Had it about a year & no problems. $30 @ Academy. Very smooth reel for the money.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

3 Sedonas 2500 and 1 Sahara, rise, shake & Reel Magic----P-Line Flouroclear 12lb AWESOME :D
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

just get a sustain an dont worry about the rest :wink: :D
Dlcole

Post by Dlcole »

What? No one has a Stella FD?

:lol:

I have a Symetre 750 UL which is holding up well against the saltwater creatures I have landed on it (24" Reds)...thought the reel was going to be pulled out of the reel seat, but the Compre 7' held up nicely, while the Yak was spinning around. That 8lb braid is working well.

Added a Solara Rod and Sedona 2500 to better handle the Reds...also works very well as a largemouth bass rod.

Slowride showed me how to field strip them and grease/oil all the critical parts so the salt wouldn't mess them up...they both have been banged around and dumped in the salt, while on my Yak.
Bighead

Post by Bighead »

Dlcole wrote:What? No one has a Stella FD?

...they both have been banged around and dumped in the salt, while on my Yak.
And that is why I don't have a Stella FD.

I've dropped my reels in the saltwater, mud, sand, etc. I would have a tapestry of infinite profanity webbing its way into the deepest core of The Universe if I did that with a Stella.

:lol:

Bighead
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

Upgrade to a Curado!
thejimmster

Post by thejimmster »

For Spinners, I have a 2500 Shara and 4000 Stradic. Both great reels for the money. I can hardly tell the difference between the two.
trantheman

Post by trantheman »

Cabelas has Symetre for $50 (models 750 and 2500) and others are $60. I bought two Shimano Twin-Powers (Japan domestic version of Sustain) recently. They are nice.