Homemade Kayak Trailer

rellis1962

Homemade Kayak Trailer

Post by rellis1962 »

Recently purchased kayaks for myself and the family. Needed a better way to haul them around so I bought a used aluminum PWC trailer and modified to carrie all three yaks and more. Works great. Pulled it around town today for a test run. I checked for contact with truck by slowly backing into a jackknife and it clears easily on both sides. This was a concern of mine during construction.[/img]
Attachments
yaktrailer1.jpg
Plenty of room for more equipment on the trailer under the kayaks.
Plenty of room for more equipment on the trailer under the kayaks.
Kayak stands store neatly under the kayaks.
Kayak stands store neatly under the kayaks.
phil413tx
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by phil413tx »

Looks great! Do they stay pretty still? I may have to copy your setup. What size yaks are those?
rellis1962

Kayaks are very steady...

Post by rellis1962 »

Manta Ray in the middle is a 14', Prowler is 13' and the Malibu 2 XL is 13'
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

i sometimes wish mine was aluminum, mine weights atleast 300 lbs no kayaks, but mine was FREE!!!! just a few mods. I can Jackknife mine and there was a couple of times i needed it....Great Looking Trailer

something about me i love looking at trailers, maybe its the man in me, my wife just donsent get it :D
rellis1962

Post by rellis1962 »

Thanks, I know what you mean. I looked at used trailers for a while before I made my decision. I almost passed on the Al trailer thinking it would be to short but I wanted something smallish, easy to move around and easy to store so I took a chance that I could make it work. It is tongue-heavy, as it should be, but I can easily move the trailer with kayaks and equipment by hand. I had to invent the contraptions that connect the Yakima bars to the trailer rails. They work perfectly.

I still look at used trailers(online) even though I don't need one anymore. My wife doesn't get it either, she just accepts it.[/img]
rellis1962

Post by rellis1962 »

phil413tx wrote:Looks great! Do they stay pretty still? I may have to copy your setup. What size yaks are those?
If you need more info on materials/construction I guess you can PM me. I am new to this forum so not sure how things work here.
RubiconAg

Post by RubiconAg »

I would be caucious when using the PVC setup as my main rack support systems. You have to remember that the kayaks are like huge sails that catch the 70+ mph wind loads when going down the highway.

Other than that, sweet setup!
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

dr_love2112 wrote: mine weights atleast 300 lbs no kayaks,
Yours is light weight. Mine weighs 1,100 pounds empty and remains solidly on the highway when an 18-wheeler passes me going the other way. Designed for 20 kayaks plus gear.
Lollipop
Attachments
SmallerIMGP1254.jpg
jsharp

Post by jsharp »

man thats a nice looking trailer if you dont mind me copinying you id like to build one like that how long is your triailer and what is the weight of it
Davo

Trailer

Post by Davo »

NICE JOB! How does it ride down the road? I'm curious because I just completed a very similar trailer to yours, except I used a 4x8 Utility trailer. Do crosswinds or wind blast from on-coming trucks affect the trailer very much? I hope to have pics of mine posted after this weekend.
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

Aluminum, cool. Curious where you came across the trailer that you started with? Thanks...G
rellis1962

Re: Trailer

Post by rellis1962 »

Do crosswinds or wind blast from on-coming trucks affect the trailer very much? I hope to have pics of mine posted after this weekend.[/quote]

I have not experience a close encounter with an 18 wheeler as of yet. I am somewhat curious myself. If I have problems I have some relatively flat zincs that wiegh about 60-70lbs a piece with bolt flanges that I will bolt to the trailer just forward of the axle. This along with lowering the tongue with a drop-down hitch, I'm thinking, would help correct the lack of stability.
rellis1962

Post by rellis1962 »

Kingz wrote:Aluminum, cool. Curious where you came across the trailer that you started with? Thanks...G
I found the trailer on Craigs List.

Rob