New Scope next year?

redneckmorton
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

New Scope next year?

Post by redneckmorton »

I've been thinking about and wanting to do this for some time now. I'm currently using a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. Which there is nothing wrong with the scope. But I am wanting a 50mm lens for those dark moments as I love to shoot some hogs right after dark when they love to come in.

I'm shooting a Remington 700 bolt action in a .270 which I love.

What I had been thinking about going with is the Nikon Monarch 4-16x50.

But looking on there website I just seen an 8-32x50ED.

Most of my shots are open areas, 100 yards being normal, also hunting pipe lines which I could shoot as far as 500+ yards, as I don't like to hunt tight areas unless I'm hunting with a bow.

Not that I'd shoot at a deer at that far but I love to target shoot too.

Anyways do any of yall use the Monarch scopes and have any luck with the higher magnification?
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

I've got a Monarch 3-12 x 42 BDC on my 25.06.
It's been a great scope. Terrific light gathering (I can see through the scope MUCH later than I can see after dark), it's easy to sight in and stays zeroed year to year. The BDC is cool too for long shots.
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

I have two of the Monarch 6.5X20 scopes with target knobs one on a 220 swift and one on a 243WIN. They make great target/varmit scopes. I have a Monarch 4-16x50 on a 17 rem and realy like it as well. One thing that I like about the 6.5X20 is you can shoot them at the range at 6.5 all the way up to 20 and point of impact is the same. I have had some other brands that the point of impact changed on the higher end.
Mike
Gr8_Outdoorsman

Post by Gr8_Outdoorsman »

I use Leuopold Vari-X III on my rifles. I purchased a pair of Nikon Monarch binoculars this year and have been extremely impressed with their clarity and quality. If the rifle scopes are built from the same glass and use the same coatings, I would bet that they would be great scopes. Let us know what you decide on.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I have a Nikon Monarch scope on my late dad's Winchester 70 in 270 caliber. Very bright optics especially in low light conditions.
JSWEET

Post by JSWEET »

i use the Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 this is great ... no complaints here just wish they were cheaper.
redneckmorton
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckmorton »

From what I have seen, granted I haven't looked in a a few years. But I'd have to say Nikon has the clearest scopes out there, to me anyways.

I have looked into some of the German optics and either I never liked them or they don't like my eyes.

I'm mainly wondering about the higher power scopes. It'll be hard to get me away from my 3-9 unless I hear alot of good things about the higher powered scopes. I'm not really to much worried about the "tactical knob" until I buy a "varmint riffle." Hints the reason I was looking at the Monarch scopes.

But keep your opinions coming as I always enjoy seeing what people with first hand knowledge has to say.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:? Was me, I'd use the Leupold as a baseline! If they aren't up to the Leupold...discard them. If they're better, then move the base line up! How far to move the base line...your bank balance is the limiting factor. It's an irony that the people in the optics business demand that you do all this research, then buy a product based upon published material (always remembering that the guys writing the story are using material provided by the manufacturer, and encouraged by their publishers who derive x amount of dollars from those optics manufacturers), reports from people like this site, and whatever you heard "...down at the feed store, gun shop, or the neighborhood bar!" Was me, I'd ask to test drive 'em! Ask yourself this: would I buy a kayak without paddling it????? :roll: Just my thoughts.
rsm127810

scopes

Post by rsm127810 »

I have been hearing very bad things about Burris quality of late, I would stay away from them.
Some good low priced scopes are the Simmons Aetec mdls, Bushnell elites, 3200, 4200, check out the elite mdls with firefly.
check here to see what others are saying at the SWFA forums.

http://www.opticstalk.com/
http://www.swfa.com/
http://www.swfa.com/c-2183-riflescopes.aspx
ClovisMan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ClovisMan »

I only mount Nikon scopes to my rifles. I've used the Buckmaster scopes and the Monarchs with success. Granted I don't like the 50mm scopes as much as the 40mm but that is just me. Are Nikons the cheapest scope? Nope, but they are not the most expensive either. They make good optics and IMHO you get the best bang for the buck.
cut bait

Bigger not Better

Post by cut bait »

I don't understand why people want to put a scope on their rifle that is more suitable for star gazing than hunting. The light transmission, clarity and definition is largely a factor of lens and coating quality not size.

With field positions it is hard to hold anything over 10x steady. If you use a rest or tripod then you could go up to 16-20x max. (maybe), but at 20x the field of view is so small it is hard to pick up game quickly. 20x and above will give you mirage problems on a bright day. They also need the parralax adjustment.

Keep in mind the eye dilates to 6mm maximum in low light (7mm in total darkness) so the scopes twilight factor should be a factor of 5 or six. A 20x scope would require a 100 to 120mm objective lens to transmit the same light as an 8x by 40 or 50mm. Even on a varmint rifle I wouldn't go over the 3-12x unless it was for really long range over 600 yards.

Monarch scopes are excellent, the glass is comparable to Leupold VX-III and Zeiss Conquest, maybe right between the two. My only concerns are the customer service turnaround and the fact that there are so many refurbished Nikons around. This may not mean anything as almost all of them go to two suppliers where other mfgs. either don't sell refurbs or have several dealers.

The Team Primos are the same as the old model monarchs and are a great buy.

For Hog hunting I want something light and fast especially in low light. Like ghost ring sights or an illuminated dot
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

waste of money
the 50mm final objective lens will not give you that much more brightness over the 40mm you already have
a Nikon with a 40mm final objective lens is a great scope

what I shoot - and it's more than bright enough

but my binoculars are
redneckmorton
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckmorton »

So from the looks of it the 50mm lens wont give me any more advantage in low to no light. So I guess i'll look more towards the 4-16x42 monarch. But then again there is the 5-20x44 monarch which keeps the final objective still low but gives me a little more on the zoom factor.

Its very seldom that I ever take my scope off of 9x even when I'm walking through the "open" woods its stays on 6x. I'm hunting out of a tripod so most of my shoots are what I call a three point hold. I can rest my left arm on the front rail, holding the sling tight and resting the gun on my arm. then my right arm is on the side rail with two fingers holding the thumb loop. And then a good firm hold to the shoulder. I can hold pretty still even at an odd angle.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

save your money for something else
the scope you have now is fine
buy some good binoculars
Buckeev
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Buckeev »

If you taking...and making 500 yard shots now, I wouldn't mess with anything!
Keep your Buckmaster..save the money and take the wife, or significant other out for a night-on-the-town. :wink:
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

I have about the same set-up as you a Model 700 with a Leupold 3X9X40 VX-II. And I've been considering upgrading to a Leupold or Monarch 4X12X50. I compared my scope and my buddies 4X12X50 VX-II side by side at twilight and there was a signifcant difference in the 50. I would estimate that it would give the shooter another 10-15 minutes at dawn or dusk.