Fishing Log

Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

Used to keep a log, especially when I started SW fishing, but fell out of use after a while. The memories are hard to capture in writing. I used to try to keep track of structure but found a much better way is to do some scouting at low water conditions, like in winter, to find out where the guts are.
The Rusty Knight

Post by The Rusty Knight »

I tried to keep one....... It got to depressing. Went fishing caught nothing. Went fishing boat sank. etc.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Hey RK, you didn't steal Snookdude's log, did you? Sounds like the last report he posted.
TIN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by TIN »

Keeping a log of where, when, temp, wind direction, etc. you caught fish is a great idea. If you have the discipline.

I don't.

Maybe if you have your girlfriend or wife with you, you could delegate man, delegate.

Be certain to tell her what a WONDERFUL job she's doing and how much it'll help in the future and it'll all be credited to wonderful her.
Johnster

Post by Johnster »

I kept one, not always as detailed as i liked, as someon said it is a discipline. Mine was just a note book, but within a couple of years it soon started to show details that without it I may not have picked up on.

I lost it moving house a year ago and haven't got round to starting new one yet, i would like one that was software driven and searchable, any computer wizards out there?

But as a whole definitely a worhwhile endaeavour!
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Newt »

BJ
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by BJ »

Johnster wrote: i would like one that was software driven and searchable, any computer wizards out there?
!

would be fairly easy to do in excel if you stuck with very specific naming criteria.
Minnow
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Minnow »

Actually I have thought about doing this several times. I do make a log when I scuba dive and it brings back vital info if I ever make the same dive twice at different intervals. This could almost be a "pin pointer" map with weather conditions, bait used, location (of course), fish caught, tidal info etc. etc. If nothing else you can turn it into your own book.....hell, maybe even a best seller. Just a thought. If you ever make a spread sheet I would be interested in using it myself. Cheers!

Minnow
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Johnster wrote:... I lost it moving house a year ago and haven't got round to starting new one yet, i would like one that was software driven and searchable, any computer wizards out there?

Couldn't you just use a spreadsheet program like Excel?

You could put columns for the various elements that you like to keep track of, such as place you fished, weather, structure, bait that worked, bait that didn't work, type of fish caught, number of fish caught, etc.

Then you could enter the fishing dates in the rows, and fill in the information across the page.

It should be easy to compare and contrast elements for your fishing trips that way.

Mrs. B
Bay Dweller
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bay Dweller »

Use Excel and create pivot tables that contain info you see relevant. Such as when, where's, whys, and How’s....
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

Not for fishing.

I do for hunting so I can keep track of growth and habits. Its good to read on opening eve to build suspense for the opening morning hunt. It actually helped me last year since I convincd myself that I had let premium deer pass on opening weekend for the past 4 or 5 years not to see them again till maybe next year (and probably let them go again). Shot a nice 19 1/2" 10 point :)
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

I know a guy that has a bass mounted on half a small log...It's on his wall ! 8)

fredtoo
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

log...

Post by hookdem »

I used too.....now i turn on the computer and read on this website, a daily log of hundreds of people, mostly in Texas, and mostly on Kayaks! Works out perfectly.
Johnster

Post by Johnster »

okay as i said any computer wizards out there! I use Excel at work but do not create in Excel.

These are the parameters I would like to search by:

Wind, Tide direction and height, sun rise and set, lunar phase, barometric pressure, cloud cover, fish caught, lures used, water temp, air temp:

thanks to who ever can do i for me!
TIN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by TIN »

Sounds good to me.

Who'll be doing all that info entering?

Riiiiiiiiiiight...
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Johnster wrote:okay as i said any computer wizards out there! I use Excel at work but do not create in Excel.

These are the parameters I would like to search by:

Wind, Tide direction and height, sun rise and set, lunar phase, barometric pressure, cloud cover, fish caught, lures used, water temp, air temp:

thanks to who ever can do i for me!

Johnster,

I took a stab at it. I don't know if it'll work as an attachment to a post. I'll try it. If you can't copy it, send me a PM giving me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Mrs. B
Attachments
Fishing Log.xls
(14 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Toyaker
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Toyaker »

Mrs. B, you forgot to include a column for what excuse/reason/honeydo/etc. that got you permission to go in the first place!! :D
BJ
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by BJ »

okay...so here's a tip on how to use the chart Mrs B provided.
make sure you are consistent with naming stuff...if your place is "x-mas bay" make sure that's how you spell it every time.

Now, use your mouse to highlight all the columns such as date, place, etc and highlight all the cells below it that you need (or get rid of her first row that says fishing log and highlight the whole page)...

Now select Data from the options at top of the screen, select Filter from the drop down menu, and click Auto Filter...

This will create little arrows on each column heading...when you have some info put in there, you can select just specific things....for example, if you hit the arrow for "lures used" you can then select "gold spoon" for example and now you will only see the entries that had "gold spoon" listed...

make sense?

to go back and see them all again, just select "show all" from the same drop down arrow you just used....
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

BJ,

Thanks for the lesson on data filters for locating specific information. I've been retired for a year, and I've forgotten a lot of the finer points.

Mrs. B
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

I think toyaker is on to the real thing. We need a kitchen pass log book. That way we could predict when we will be able to go fishing and what we can do to help the situation.

:lol:
Priority Four
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Priority Four »

I keep a log of all my trips big and small, fishing in the pond behind my in-laws or a week long trip to the land cut. It's really more of a journal I guess. I write down the date, place, weather conditions, lures, retrieve speed, depth and what happened. I hardly ever refer back to it for fishing information other than specific GPS coordinates. I do spend a lot of time reading the entries and reliving the day or remembering freinds I've fished with. There are some great memories in there. I've found that my thirteen year old son always reads the entries when we fish together and he often has an ammendment for me. If the house catches fire, I'm going for my fishing journal before the cat!