Returning to Texas

Naples Yaker

Returning to Texas

Post by Naples Yaker »

Well, after 23 years of active duty abroad, the navy is allowing me to return home to Texas and complete my final tour in Corpus Christie :D . Although I am not new to kayaking fishing, I will be new to that area.

Any information about the area, groups or event will be appreciated. Not sure when my arrival will be, but hopefully I'll know something real soon. I expect March/Arpil time frame.

Safe Travels,

Naples Yaker
(not to be confused with Naples John whom I met several years ago in Naples, Italy.)
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

From one Vet to another "Welcome Home" :)
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Re: Returning to Texas

Post by pdt818 »

Naples Yaker wrote:Well, after 23 years of active duty abroad, the navy is allowing me to return home to Texas and complete my final tour in Corpus Christie :D . Although I am not new to kayaking fishing, I will be new to that area.

Any information about the area, groups or event will be appreciated. Not sure when my arrival will be, but hopefully I'll know something real soon. I expect March/Arpil time frame.

Safe Travels,

Naples Yaker
(not to be confused with Naples John whom I met several years ago in Naples, Italy.)
when you get in corpus you oughtta call FISHMAN and take a trip with him down in aransas pass. would be a nice treat for yourself being back home :wink:
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Returning to Texas

Post by spiny norman »

Naples Yaker wrote:Well, after 23 years of active duty abroad, the navy is allowing me to return home to Texas and complete my final tour in Corpus Christie :D .
First hint: It's spelled Corpus Christi.

:wink:

Welcome home!
Naples Yaker

Post by Naples Yaker »

Thanks for the well wishes and I can see it'g gonna be a tough crowd. Good, I like the fun and games. Eventually, I hope to meet a lot of you.

When I get to Corpus CHRISTI :D , I'll be be on the water the day after I unpack!

Later,

JP
REDNECK KAYAKER

DONT DO IT

Post by REDNECK KAYAKER »

Naples Yaker, DON'T Try it this weekend. Tides will be high.
Naples Yaker

Post by Naples Yaker »

Redneck,

I'm afraid it won't be for several months. I probably won't leave Italy until February or March. In the mean time, I'll keep reading the posts and try and learn your language (BTB, SLP, ect.).

If I were to want to stock up on necessary supplies (lures/terminal tackle) good for that area, where would one start looking? Right now, I mainly troll or verticle jig. The skinny water thing will be new to me.

I am not concerned with rods/reels or kayak accesaries I am sitting pretty good in those categories. I think it was last week my wife stated " If you buy one more rod..." I don't remember what the threat was, but she doesn't know about the two BillyStix yet!!!

Anyway, any information is greatly appreciated.

N.Y.
Jay61
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jay61 »

how long has it been since you've been back to Texas? If you insist on buying equipment now, there's this little store called Bass Pro Shops.....and they have a pretty good online store. :lol:
Good luck with your last months overseas and let us know when you hit the water in CC. If you need help with the abbreviations - use the search function and type "acronyms". It will pull up a lot of helpful info. I was lost for awhile myself.
J
Naples Yaker

Post by Naples Yaker »

Jay61,

Thanks. I have been to several BPS in the past. Unless they have changed the shipping policies though, they will not ship to US military overseas unless it is by "space available" surface. Which translates to waiting several (2-3) months for purchases :evil: . On the other hand, Cabelas is more than willing to take the extra steps necessary to send purchases USPS Priority. Three days door to door. :D

I think I'm okay for casting, spinning and fly rods/reels both inshore and BTB, but I was interested in specific lure recommendations. I'll keep researching the site to find tidbits of information.

Thanks again,

JP
Vasca
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vasca »

Welcome Home and thank you for your Service 8)