Rigged Hatch Bungee

Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Rigged Hatch Bungee

Post by Crazy Yak »

Hopefully this will solve the hatch issue with the Tarpon. Heavy surf has been knocking the hatch off and flooding the kayak. This would be a good solution for those of you loosing hatches during trasport.

PARTS:3' of 1/4 Bungee

1/4" Bungee Termination Ends:
http://kayakfishinggear.com/index.asp?P ... D&ProID=49

Bungee Button:
http://kayakfishinggear.com/index.asp?P ... &ProdID=47

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

You would think the mfgr. would have thought of that!

Edited: Oops, I thought I was sending a PM.......my apologies to Wilderness Systems.
Last edited by Mythman on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Now that looks good.
Peddle Power
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Peddle Power »

Great idea I think I will have to use this system on my T120.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

CY, I'm planning to do the same thing on Friday while I wait for you to show up. I'll be getting to the house Thursday night. Plan to fish Friday AM on the Bayou hopefuly I'll have us a mess of fish for dinner. What would you prefer Reds, Specks or Flounder!
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Fish Fry--That'll work! I will give you a call tomorrow.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Nice

Post by JimD »

I have always used a single car type bungi across the middle and never had a problem. When I got my first 160 the first thing I did was take the buckle straps off and use bungi cords instead. I did leave one strap on each cover just to keep from losing the cover while out in the bay.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Nice

Post by Crazy Yak »

JimD wrote:I have always used a single car type bungi across the middle and never had a problem. When I got my first 160 the first thing I did was take the buckle straps off and use bungi cords instead. I did leave one strap on each cover just to keep from losing the cover while out in the bay.
I had the single 1" nylon strap across the hatch before this one--you can see where I patched the holes to the pad eyes in the pic. It worked to some extent but didn't have enough reinforcement at the front of the hatch. The only problem has been in heavy surf, I hope this works. Even if the hatch edge loses it's seal by the compression of the kayak hull hitting the surf, it should at least stay in place toe to some degree.

The only other option I saw was to use the single strap with a 2" tall dome cap over the hatch lid (something about the size of the W cirlcle in the center of the hatch), but that was more difficult to make. The compression of the hatch would have made a better seal.

Hopefully WS is taking notes! I've almost capsized twice when the kayak suddenly filled with water after the hatch was knocked off. That's not a good situation to be in offshore with a kayak full of gear.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

last year at the King Fish tournament my front hatch came off after we had came in and I was playing in the surf. I was glad that I had stripped all my gear off. I have been planning to do something since then. It's hard enough to get out in rough seas in a T160i let alone with yak full of water. I've consider many different ways batting down the hatches so to speak but this looks to be the best way. I may try putting the release points to the front and rear of the hatch so that the bungee's come to a point at the front of the hatch. What do you think?