BTB Tip #5: Kayaks

Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

BTB Tip #5: Kayaks

Post by Parrothead »

It's been several years since I wrote this original post. So the time has come to update this. Updates are in red. 2/28/11

I'm often asked which brand or style of kayak is very good for fishing the surf and BTB. The real answer is that every kayak will work. However some are most definately better than others. Before I get into brands there are some important features that you need in a good BTB kayak.

Features

1. Rocker - Of all the features I'd say that the rocker, which is basically the curve of the bottom of the boat from bow to stern is the most important feature in a surf kayak. Generally speaking, the more rocker, the better the boat will turn and lift on and over a wave.

2. Drainage - Even on a calm day you will take water over the bow on small waves. A good surf yak drains easily and quickly. I like a boat with large and numerous scupper drains. Although it is not necessary, I also like a boat that has scuppers in the seat.

3. Stability - Wider is better. When you are on the anchor, you need stability. When you are landing a big fish or you've got a big one boat side, you need to be confident and know the limitations of your boat's stability. Having said that, most guys are used to their own kayak. So to some degree stability is somewhat subjective.

4. Storage - This is not as important on a BTB yak as it is on a bay or lake boat. You carry very little equipment with you. However, I really like a boat that can store rods below deck. This is a personal thing for me. But I find it to be important. If you fish BTB style fishing often, it's really nice to have since you stand a very good chance at going over or getting dumped. Let's just say I've learned my lessons the hard way! :lol:

5. Length - Length is a consideration depending on where you fish. At High Island and other places in the northern part of Texas, where the surf stacks up high and close together, and breaks straight down over a shallow sand bar, we really like shorter (13' and under) kayaks. The shorter boats turn really well on a wave, but more importantly are not as prone to "telephone poling" which is where the water receeds from beneath you as you are on a wave and the yak noses down and plants itself in the sand! :shock: I'm not saying that this can't happen ina shorter kayak. But the longer yaks are more suceptible to it.

In other places where the waves are much further apart, longer kayaks work well. If you're at Matagorda or points south, the longer yaks are just fine. However, in the hands of an experienced paddler, the longer yaks will work almost anywhere. But it does take more skill.

You also can't talk about length without talking about skill. But for the sake of brevity, and because this subject has been talked to death, I'll refrain from getting into it here.

Brands

As I said, almost any kayak will work for surf fishing. However, there are some considerations before going out and buying any yak. Consider how often you fish the surf. If you only fish a few days a year and on days with only ice cream conditions, then you can buy whatever you want. However, if you fish regularly, in conditions that are good as well as "challenging," then there are some considerations as to brand and type of yak. Please keep the following recommendations next to a grain of salt. If you are highly skilled at navigating through the surf, you can probably get away with almost any yak. However, if you're not consider the following list a guideline, instead of a recommendation. And whatever you do, try before you buy.

Cobra Kayaks

1. Cobra Fish-n-Dive - at 12'6" and 36" wide, this boat is slow and heavy. But that works in your favor because it doesn't get pushed around too easily by waves. It has large and numerous scuppers, including two in the seat. It has cavernous storage and a giant tankwell. You can put your rods below deck in the near-watertight hatches. This boat punches up and over waves with ease. But coming back in is very hard to turn, so make sure you line up on the waves correctly. Thigh straps might help you in this boat, but are not compeltely necessary. The XF package offered by Cobra makes this boat an increasingly popular boat on the Texas beaches.

2. Cobra Navigator - 12'6" and 31" wide, the Navigator is a favorite among BTB fishermen because of it's rough water handling. It does not have the storage below decks that the FnD has. But there is a large forward hatch where you can store rods. Stability is decent. And it has a very good tankwell. The XF version makes this a good BTB boat.

3. Cobra Marauder - At 14' and 31" wide this is a big, stable BTB boat. I would suggest this boat for a somewhat more advanced surf paddler, since the length can represent some issues, depending on where you fish. This is probably the driest 14 footer on the market. It has large and numerous scuppers, including two in the seat an okay storage. This boat has recently been redesigned without the large rectangular access to below deck storage. In my opinion this was a huge mistake. However, the boat now has a squared off forward cockpit that will undoubtedly make it much more comfortable. It's still a good BTB boat. But consider the lack of storage, if that becomes an issue for you.

4. Cobra Explorer - This boat is 11'6" and 31" wide. This is a good boat for smaller paddlers. It does lack storage and is somewhat tippy. However, its price point makes it very appealing. I would rate the Explorer as a good starter BTB yak.

Note: All Cobra Kayaks have giant rockers and nearly water-tight hatches.

Malibu Kayaks

1. Malibu X-Factor - Take a Cobra Fish-n-Dive and put it on steroids and you've got a Malibu X-Factor. This boat is just over 14' long and 34" wide. It has a giant rocker and cavernous storage, including an ingenious design for a rear hatch in the tankwell, behind the seat, where you can easily access stored rods below decks. The X-Factor is long. But it has enormous buouyancy. This is one of the longer yaks I wouldn't be too concerned with planting the bow. In my opinion the only drawbacks to this boat as a surf boat is that it does not have molded footrests. You brace on the footpeddles of the rudder. Over time, or with enough pressure, you can warp or break them. The other issue is that you need at least a 7' rod to fish with from this boat. The distance from the seat to the bow of the boat is somewhat long. But it's definately manageable.

2. Malibu Pro-Explorer - I don't know why we don't see more of this boat in the surf. It has a big rocker and very good tankwell. It also has good drainage. This is definately a boat to look at and try out for BTB fishing.

3. Malibu Mini-X - aThis boat is one of the hottest little BTB yaks to come along in years. It has a giant rocker, nice tankwell for a 9 footer and at 31" wide is very stable. It will turn on a wave easily. The only drawback to this boat is the lack of below deck storage. I can't wait for this boat to come out!

Ocean Kayak

In recent years, Ocean Kayak has really done a fantastic job of updating and adding new designs to their kayaks. One of the most promienent and important features they've added is the rod pod. Now you can take an Ocean Kayak offshore and store your rods below deck! This is huge! As I understand it, the Ocean Kayak Prowler Tridents 11,13 and 15 all have this rod pod. Also, I've heard that you can retrofit your old Prowler with a rod pod. In our tough economic times, this is a wonderful example of a kayak company meeting the needs of its customers!

1. Ocean Kayak Drifter - At 13' and 34" this is a big slow boat. It has a good rocker and decent drains. We see alot of these boats out past the breakers. They make pretty good surf boats.

2. Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT - This is one of the best BTB boats ever built. It is 12'6" and 29" wide. It tracks well, has a good tankwell, fast drains and turns well on a wave. It also has a very good rocker. This is one of the most popular BTB kayaks. It's main drawback is storage. It lacks below-deck storage.

3. Ocean Kayak Frenzy - This is currently one of the most popular small yak BTB boats around. It is easy to transport, has a big rocker, is fairly stable and can carry some cargo. It doesn't have a tremendous amount of fishing space however. It is only 9' long. The tankwell is open-ended. So anything that goes in there has to be strapped down. The Frenzy is one of the mainstays of BTB fishing. You'll rarely see a day on the beach without seeing at least one Frenzy.

4. Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW - at slightly over 14' long and 28" wide. the SPTW can only distinguish itself as a surf suitable yak because of the good rocker it has. This is a good calm water boat. But I have seen experienced paddlers take this boat to the surf on rough days. It is a rocket ship of a kayak for sure. But this is one of those long boats to be careful of when returning through the surf facing the beach. Personally, I would come in backwards in this boat.

5. As mentioned above the updated Ocean Kayak Tridents are worth serious consideration. The rod pod and sonar shield makes these boats very good in terms of features. The hull is still the same as the old prowler, and has a good rocker, but the boat is still a little more wet than some other designs. Nevertheless, these now make good BTB boats. And their price point still makes them attactive, as does their wide distribution.

Note: The main drawback to Ocean Kayaks in my opinion is the thickness of the plastic. Hold up a core of a Malibu or Cobra with an Ocean Kayak and you'll notice a difference

Wilderness Systems

1. Wilderness Systems "The Ride" - The Ride is a popular kayak for bigger guys. It has a good rocker and excellent stability. It is a slow boat, like most of the boats mentioned above. We see quite a few of these boats beyond the breakers.

2. Tarpon 140 & 160i - These are better bay boats than they are surf boats. However, in the hands of experienced paddlers, they can find their way offshore. We see more T140's than 160i's in the surf. Both boats however, lack below deck storage. However, throw a pair of thigh straps and a good wide blade on these yaks and you'll shoot through the surf. They are very fast boats, which makes launching through the surf easier once you're on and going. But that length in the 160i is something to consider. While I'm not a fan of returning through the surf backwards, it is a technique that should be considered when using the 160i. These boats don't have big rockers either, so they will plow a little more. If you like to fish the calm days offshore, and run rig trips, these boats should be considered.

The newly redesigned Ride 135, T-140 and T-160I offer drier seating, a little better stability and excellent hatches which are vastly improved over the old tupperware style hatches.

3. Tarpon 100 - The T-100 is a great boat for women and kids. It has a nice rocker and excellent drainage. This will probably be my own kid's first kayak.

Mainstream Kayaks

1. Mainstream Kingfish - If you don't want to spend a pile of money on a yak and go fishing BTB go buy yourself a Mainstream Kingfish. This boat is almost 13' long and 31" wide. It has a good rocker and decent drains. It's a good starter kayak. But we see a lot of them on the beaches. Their main drawback is the hatches. They do tend to leak. So be prepared to pour some water out of the boat once on the beach. But it's not that big of a problem at all.

2. Mainstream Jazz - This boat is somewhat hard to come by. It has very little fishing room. It has no storage below decks. It has a small tankwell. But it has a very good rocker. A lot of surf fishermen like this boat for yakking baits out from the beach. But you could fish it. I only mention it here because it is very good in short choppy waves.

Hobie.

1. Hobie Pro Angler- This boat is pretty much an about face in terms of everything you've read so far. But the reason this boat gets mentioned here is because this is such a fantastic boat that does have its place and is becoming a popular BTB boat. While the boat has a terrible rocker and is a pig to paddle, which makes it challenging going out and returning through the surf, the boat really shines once you're offshore. It is big and stable and has a tremendous amount of storage. I especially like the side storage for smaller rods. And depending on your size, you may need to plug the scuppers. You also have to ensure that the front hatch is seated well before launching or it will leak. At the time of this writing, I've heard that they had tweaked that issue and improved the steering as well. If you have the bucks to spend, you might want to consider this boat.

These are just a few of the models you should look at. I've laid out what I believe are important features to look for in a good BTB boat. Other manufacturers make good surf suitable boats. Other notable yaks to look at include the Heritage Redfish and Marqueasa and the Hobie Outback. So don't jump me because I haven't mentioned your favorite.

If I were to nail down my top 3 picks they would include:
1. Cobra Fish-n-Dive
2. Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT
3. Malibu X Factor

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Parrothead on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

I thought you had traded in your FnD for a Marauder. What happened with that?

The Cobra Marauder was supposed to be the end-all BTB yak from Cobra, just curious as to what happened, if anything.

And, just to add some to the thread, I use to drive a Frenzy, and still do for paddeling baits. It's awesome in the surf, manuvers easy and surfs like a dream. My 9 yr old daughter can paddle it with ease, and I even, in a lake, stood up in it.

BUT, it's small, slow, there is no storage and it's quiet confined. It measures in at 1" narrower than my XFactor, but it takes some finagleing to get my fat rear in the seat. And sitting "side saddle" (not that I would BTB) is killer on the knees.

It is a good boat, but if you want a small(er) boat to fish it in the bays look for something else - the MiniX or FnD comes to mind.

Good thread(s) PH. Answered all the questions I ever had. Now, let's hit the bay sometime.
Gulf Kayaker

Post by Gulf Kayaker »

Why no write-up on the Prowlers? I would like to hear your opinion on the two of them.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I am what you would call a newbie to btb fishing(only three trips) and had already pick up some on some of the information Parrothead has shared in this series of BTB articles, but certainly not all of it. Also, it is really great to get this information in a concise organized manner.

Thanks for sharing with us, Parrothead
, all these posts are worth printing and keeping for reference.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Thanks Parrothead....... I am loving all this info :D darn, I can't get to the beach for a couple of weeks, sold the house and moving....... Now I have fishing fever :x
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

Let me answer a couple questions.

Cipher,

I liked the Marauder a lot. But my boat was a prototype of the Marauder that actually had some flaws in it. The production models have been corrected. I actually liked that boat a lot. It did however, make me feel a little nervous as it had a tendency to yaw on big waves.

Gulf Kayaker,

My post was meant as a guide. I can't name and evaluate all these boats. However, my opinion of the Prowler is that the 13 makes an okay BTB boat. Best use is in calm conditions. For this style of fishing, it is a very wet boat. In that general size range, there are better boats for this application. However, as I have said, which bears repeating, if you fish calm days, you can use a Prowler 13.

Incidentally, OK just came out with a "Big Game" version of the Prowler. I've only seen pics. I hear it's a very big yak, maybe too big. I don't know.

I wish I could get on the beach more this summer. But family health issues are keeping me away. Grrr!
stag3

Post by stag3 »

From Parrothead....However, throw a pair of thigh straps and a good wide blade on these yaks and you'll shoot through the surf. They are very fast boats, which makes launching through the surf easier once you're on and going. But ....

Is the "blade" the "paddle"??? If so, how wide is wide enough? I figured a paddle is a paddle is a paddle.....

Stag
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

Gulf yaker,
I have both a P13 and a P15. Both are stabile, and comfortable. The P15 is a great boat, and I have done well in 2 footers at Surfside with it. It does take some control and paddling coming in and going out.

The P13 will likely perform a lot better. I suspect that our BTB Expert has not yet had a decent chance to try the P13 out on the gulf. That boat is dead stabile, has a decent speed, and I have paddled it on days that most people would stay at home. It does well in Chop, and waves. The Ocean boats are designed for California, which is long fetch Pacific Ocean Surf. Large sloping waves, and tough surf. Texas is short fetch GOM surf, like PH aluded to. Short sets, and near vertical breaks. The nice thing about the Prowlers it they tend to not Pearl into the waves, rather rise above them due to the bow design. Slight upswept with wide flares as you come back from the point.

I think the P13 would do great off-shore, but then again, I took my old T-140 out in 3 footers as well....
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: BTB Tip #5: Kayaks

Post by Night Wing »

Parrothead wrote:
Ocean Kayak

4. Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW - at slightly over 14' long and 28" wide. the SPTW can only distinguish itself as a surf suitable yak because of the good rocker it has. This is a good calm water boat. But I have seen experienced paddlers take this boat to the surf on rough days. It is a rocket ship of a kayak for sure. But this is one of those long boats to be careful of when returning through the surf facing the beach. Personally, I would come in backwards in this boat.

The SPTW is 14' 9" long and 26" wide, not 28". :wink:
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Parrothead,

You didn't say anything about the OK Big Yak, my personal favorite BTB kayak!

Mrs. B
Attachments
28 A kiss for my first bull red.jpg
28 A kiss for my first bull red.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 32461 times
26 Sleigh Ride!.jpg
26 Sleigh Ride!.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 32463 times
25 BIG fish on!.jpg
25 BIG fish on!.jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 32458 times
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

I didn't talk about a lot of yaks. I didn't talk about the Perception Aloha OK Big Yak, Malibu Two, Phoenix, and several others. But I did say that nearly every yak out there can be used. Some are better than others. And some require more skill than others.

Harv, your comments about the Prowler 13 are pretty much on the money. We had a guy fish with us often who used a P-13. He could get in and out with it, with very little trouble. But he did complain about it being a very wet boat. But then again, I think most people understand my position on wet boats. :twisted:

I knew this would happen. But decided to write it anyways.
Waterborne

Post by Waterborne »

I love my xFactor. The only drawback for the type of fishing I do is the weight. Once I get the Mini-X I have a yak for when I'm to lazy to bench press the big X.

One thing about the X is that I feel solid even in choppy water.
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

One thing I'd like to add about the Prowlers is that perhaps the most successful BTB fisherman in the world, Jim Sammons, uses the Prowlers as his mainstay of his guiding business.

Keep in mind one thing about this article is that it was written for Texas. Surf conditions in California are different than many places in Texas.
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Hey, Norm.

We know you don't have room to talk about every kayak that will function for BTB.

But you know we like to show off! :wink:

Especially those of us who catch so FEW fish. :cry:

Mrs. B
Gulf Kayaker

Post by Gulf Kayaker »

Thanks for all 5 write tips! Will there be a number 6 anytime soon?

I would like to make a suggestion if I can. I hear people talking about the tides and currents all the time. I would like to know how all that stuff effects fishing.
theduck
Location: ARANSAS PASS, TX - A little chunk of paradise fifteen minutes from the Port A Ferry Landing

Post by theduck »

Great threads Norm. Really enjoyed reading what you had to
say AND everone's input. Thanks.
TrailShoe

BTB Tip #6 ? Cold Water Gear

Post by TrailShoe »

I nominate post by Jolly Roger as BTB #6. Good advice and shared knowledge. After all it is going to get cooler before long.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... ght=waders
titowoody
Location: By the beautiful, and bountiful Grand River, Southwestern ON

Post by titowoody »

Parrothead wrote:I didn't talk about a lot of yaks. I didn't talk about the Perception Aloha OK Big Yak, Malibu Two, Phoenix, and several others. But I did say that nearly every yak out there can be used. Some are better than others. And some require more skill than others.

Am thinking of OK Malibu Two Tandem, what is the paddling like solo? Very informative post.

Thanks a lot

Titowoody
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Norm, thanks for the advice as it is understood these opinions are based on alot of experience and plain ole physics. There will always be the exception, but talking about all the kayaks is just plain impossible. As I am typing this another new kayak probably hit the market.
CavassoCruiser

Post by CavassoCruiser »

titowoody wrote:Am thinking of OK Malibu Two Tandem, what is the paddling like solo? Very informative post.

Thanks a lot

Titowoody

I don't know, but http://www.gulfsharkfishing.com/kayak_rigging.html this guy uses one for everything, maybe he can be contacted. Good luck.
dnnash

Post by dnnash »

What do you think of the Tarpon 120?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

dnnash wrote:What do you think of the Tarpon 120?
It will work just fine. I have the T140, no problems. If you plan on going on a rough day I recommend rigging some bungees to secure your front hatch.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... ight=hatch
gyoung

Post by gyoung »

one comment on Cobra (Marauder).. the heavier you are or the more the boat is loaded down the more stable this boat becomes. When packing it with heavy camping gear and getting stuck in a east texas storm on Rayburn I was concerned about turtling, but to my suprise the boat was more stable than normal. The wind from this storm generated some serious swells on that lake on that day, I was glad to have the stability.
Took a paddle safety class with SWPS and added nothing to my boat, it felt much more "slippery" than the stability I felt during my camping trip...

so word to those who have cobra boats.. do some paddeling with light and heavy loads you may see a significant difference in how it handles and it's stability.

G
pepaw

Post by pepaw »

I have two Tarpon 160i's w/factory rudders. My son and I fish together in the bays, lakes and rivers. For flat water, paddling medium to long distance, I would not trade them for any other yak made.

We started using the 160's to yak out shark baits from the beach. This got a little hairy at times and actually dangerous on more than one occasion. My son is 27 and in excellent physical shape and usually accepts the chore of taking the baits out. We communicate via hand held VHF radios.

After about two years of doing this, we purchased a cobra fish n' dive mainly because of reading Parrothead and Jolly Roger's advice/comments. Talk about a vast improvement. Much safer and that is what we were looking for, as per the reasons stated above. Stability, stability, stability!

About four months ago, we added a Malibu Mini-X to the fleet. If all three yak's are on the beach, ready to go, We will choose the Mini-X every time to take baits out.

Because we enjoy BTB fishing also, we are going to add a Malibu X-Factor to the fleet. It will be interesting to see which of all the above yaks are the go to's for sleigh rides.

Why all the yaks, well I have a brother who watches my place in San Leon, so he fishes with us all the time, and then two grandkids that are ready to start learning, so as of right now, prolly another Mini-X.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

"Note: The main drawback to Ocean Kayaks in my opinion is the thickness of the plastic. Hold up a core of a Malibu or Cobra with an Ocean Kayak and you'll notice a difference"

why would this pose a problem?