P.A.C.K. Panther Point '07

Mullet Key

P.A.C.K. Panther Point '07

Post by Mullet Key »

Photos & videos will be trickling in. The Panther Point crew, led by Frank Canneto converge on the Mid Matagorda Island bay shoreline on Panther Point made famous by Rudy Grigar "Plugger" in his book by the same name. 11 of the PACK members left from the Fulton Marina on the tour boat "Skimmer" piloted by the Capt. Tommy Moore. The rest ferried their kayaks and gear from Charlies Bait Camp in 3 power boats, one being Dick & Lisa's well-known Grocery Skiff. Campsites were quickly established and the fishing started Friday afternoon.

Attendees returned with their catches to steak fajitas and margaritas on the rocks. Trout of mixed sizes were located mainly on the southern shoreline near marsh outfalls. Reds were found in the back canals and up against the grassy shoreline. One or two +28" reds were landed. Mike M. tagged a bull on light tackle that towed him for 30 minutes before being brought to the boga grip. There was some tide movement but the water levels were elevated due to mainly SE winds. Reds could be heard back in the marsh crashing finger mullet.

Biting bugs: Zero. Temperatures during the weekend, warm but tolerable. Sunrises and Sunsets were just spectacular. Bruce and Andrew headed out to one of the larger and more active marsh cuts a few miles from the campsite. He ferried other fishermen there Saturday afternoon. We only saw about 6 PB's and one airboat the entire weekend.

Tired and hungry fishermen we greeted to homemade seafood gumbo that included fresh chunks of redfish, just caught fried trout, fries and new twist on primative camping, whole fish on the grill. Once cooked, the skin (scales and all) were tossed aside and the tasty fillets were raked onto the plates with a butter and garlic sauce. There was only one "OOOPS!" as we were doing a head count during dinner. Bruce fired up his boat to retrieve the fishermen he dropped off earler.

Stories were swapped till late at night under a full starlit sky. All caught fish. As usual, some a few more than others. Jig heads with pink or red & white tout tails seemed to be most successfull in the green, slightly cloudy bay water. Live bait was fished too. Fubar showed us his bait after 30 trout landed. A little chewed up at least. The "Skimmer" gang returned to the mainland about 3 and loaded up to head home with memories and fillets to fry. Panther Point, always one of the best outings! MK
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Nice report and congrats on a great sounding trip.

You PACK guys always do it up right!!
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

Morning sunrise

Morning ritual

Have a lot more pics to go through......
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I'm looking forward to more pictures. :D
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Sounds like a geat trip!

Mk - did you take your new boat :?: How'ed it do?
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Night Wing wrote:I'm looking forward to more pictures. :D
O.K. Nightwing, just for you, Amigo!

21-1/2" Flounder

Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Jerry-Rigged: Yes, the new boat did everything well. Tracked well in headwinds, paddled easily, felt comfortable and best of all helped me catch fish. My photos are on film and need to be developed, digitized, and posted. Joel took a few photos too. MK
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Mullet Key wrote:Jerry-Rigged: Yes, the new boat did everything well. Tracked well in headwinds, paddled easily, felt comfortable and best of all helped me catch fish. My photos are on film and need to be developed, digitized, and posted. Joel took a few photos too. MK
Here's a few:

If you look closely you can see the scupper holes.

That is one FINE yak!

Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

How careful would one need to be with the wooden boats and shell? I see the shell in the pics, and was wondering if you would need to have an extra hand when moving/dragging the kayak.

My old Prowler has scratches in the bottom so deep that sometimes I have to wonder if it’s leaking. How careful are you guys with these cool boats?
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

There were a few scratches from the old worn oyster shells, which are nowhere near as bad as live oysters. Everyone was cool about handling it - so I thank them. I work hard not scratch any boat - plastic, fiberglass or composite such as this one. I will apply a graphite / ceramic beads / kevlar blend from GOOP called Coat-It to the bottom for additional protection. Scratches and gouges are easy to fix on composite boats. MK
Mullet Key

CPR Weekend

Post by Mullet Key »

Found a spot that gave up a limit of trout and few reds.

Head Rattlin' Trout:

Coming to the Boga:

Juvi Red headed back to the bay:

Finally Finished ...and fishable:
Ninja
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sweeny. Quit Wishin...Go Fishin and take a Kid with you

Post by Ninja »

That was one awesome kayak to see in person. MK - A job well done on that baby.

The hottest colors on soft plastics were red/white and pink. All of my trout and most of the reds where caught on Brown Lure Red/White and the Brown Lure Pink Hologram Devil Eye rigged with 1/8 oz black/goldeye RR. On this trip, we proved that color can make a difference. I also tried amber and black cat colored Brown Lures and received nary a bump. Even tried the trusty Texas Roach Flats Minnow and Trout Killer, again without a hit, but as soon as I threw the red/white or pink, the bite was on. 100+ trout in one evening all on those two colors.

The only thing I did wrong was forgot to charge Fubar for those Pink Devil Eyes I gave him. I didn't even use his favorite catchphrase YOYO. At least you could take me to one of your favorite flounder spots now. That would really round out a great year of catching.
Fubar
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Fubar »

Ninja....you missed a prime YOYO chance! :P :lol: :D

I took flack from my "so called fishing friends" all weekend for "redish" line...they'll tell you "pinkish" fishing line. Then after all that, I had to bow up and use PINK plastics.

I expect it from Spuds.......but then again, I got them from you...Ninja. :P :wink: :lol:
Mullet Key

Re: P.A.C.K. Panther Point '07

Post by Mullet Key »

Talk about raising the dead on an old thread. The PACK crew is headed back to Panther Point. Thanks to one of the guides from Bay Flats Lodge, I have photos of the point and it looks like it good enough to camp on after a brutal assault from Harvey. The Skimmer got tossed around and toss aground, but Capt Tommy Moore say's she's good to go. Making double runs this year. And it's the tenth year for my Wadefish II Stitch 'n Glue kayak. Sure wish I could find a place to crash in Fulton or Rockport Thursday 10/19