Churchill and Cold Pass

davewave12

Churchill and Cold Pass

Post by davewave12 »

Loaded up the yak for a day on the water this a.m. last thing I checked, after the tides and moon phases and weather is the surfcam, only to find that it is Chest high and glassy with calm to light winds. The surfcam www.surfhousesurfcam.com has the daily (usually) updated water temp swell size and direction, barometric etc. So I throw the longboard on the truck as well. Surfed for about an hour and a half til leash broke (again)and I had to swim in 250+ yards in a tight wetsuit. NO FUN!! Surf buddy said if I wasn't such a tightwad I'd buy a new leash and not have to worry about drowning.

Decided it was time to fish- got a pint of shrimp at Ernie's Red Barn and packed about 8 artificals as well. Paddled east side of Christmas to Churchill and saw abosultely no fish on my fish finder. Paddled all along Churchill zigzagging by my favorite cuts and drop offs still nada on the FF. Got to the end of Churchill at Cold Pass and finally found some schools of fish. Baited up and waited and waited. Finally got a hit on a shrimp under a popping cork small 13" Speck. Next I try a Mirrolure sinker in Chartruese and Pink and got a little bit bigger speck. This was my first speck on a hard plastic artificial! (I've only been saltwater fishing about 8 months) Caught a 10" flounder on a shrimp off the bottom and that was it for the day . Next time I think I'll try some places near the Surfside bridge and intercoastal, they seem to produce better in the cold months.

Will post some pics of today along with another days catch when I get the waterproof disposable developed
Attachments
FH000001.jpg
FH000004.jpg