Prefishin for the S and S

goatruckman

Prefishin for the S and S

Post by goatruckman »

So I decided to go ahead and do a trial run through my game plan on Saturday. Got to the launch about 5:45 with a nice cool breeze blowing, and a bit of nip was in the air. I put on my wool socks, them my waders, then my wading boots, then my duck hunting jacket. By this time I was sweating. Ok I unload the yak out of the truck and start my paddle.
I hit my first mark 30 minutes later. Decided to go ahead and throw a RFM with a KFM in the Texas Roach color. Third cast BAM! I thought Emil was standing there, fish on! Hell yeah, I fight this fish, but due to the fish still being asleep I guess he just nicely comes in. Ok 22" Red. That will work. Next cast BAM! 20" red. Ok I cast for a few more minutes then decide to go ahead and put a tout on in the root beer color. I wade a little bit deeper, bout up to my waste, and throw out to the gut that I figured trout were in. 2 casts and BAM! Fish on. This fish is pulling hard, and when I say pulling hard I mean HARD! I play this fish out to find out that it’s a freaking black drum. He would have been around 35-40 inches. Fun to catch, but I hope he isn’t there come tourney day, because it took to much time away from my fishing.
I proceeded to cast in the same gut about 10 more times before the next hit. This one just kind felt like carpet. Yall know the feeling. You don’t know if it’s a fish or a rock. I pull this dang thing toward me to find out this what I was pulling started to pull back. I fight the fish gingerly, wow that’s a big word for me, and this dang fish won’t come up. It feels good but I still don’t know what it is. I finally get to see it. HOLLY &$%, that is one freaking huge flounder. I get him up and try to get my hands around his neck, or head, what ever you would call it on a flounder, I didn’t have a net because I could care less if I lost one right at me. But well, he got off. If I would have guessed the fish would have been around23 or so. No biggy, it got my heart pumping. I put on another root beer tout, because the last one was pretty torn up and cast out again. I feel a *tap* and my line starts running away from me. I rear back on my 6' 9" Falcon rod Laughing and set the hook, fight the fish to find out it’s another danged flounder in my trout hole. Oh well, this one went around 16", nothing HUGE but decent. I proceeded to catch 2 more flounder at that spot in about 20 casts.
I got tired of them danged ugly flat fish so i decided to go ahead and head to find some trout. I paddle another 30 minutes and get to where I think trout might be. 4 foot of water, scattered mud and shell. I jump out of the yak, on a reef and wade out to the deeper water. Still throwing my root beer tout. The time now is about 8:30, the sun is there, but covered in clouds. Then it starts drizzling. I put up my hood and continue to wade. I make about 15 casts before i hook up with my first trout, 16". Ok. Next cast BAM! This is a good fish. I fight him gingerly and then get my hands around his shoulders. BEAUTIFUL fish. Very thick trout about 22". Ok that will definitely work. I continued wading for another 30 minutes to catch numerous more trout to 20".
I finally deicide its time to head to where my big reds should be. I hop into the yak and make my 1 hour longer paddle. I get to my spot and rest for a minute. By this point I am about 5.5 miles away from my launch. I get out my Texas rig, with a 3/8 oz bullet weight, and a 3/0 gamagachu EWG hook and put on a texas roach bass assassin. As i am wading along this mixture of mud and shell I start to get a little cold. My fingers were quite cold. I thought I felt a hit but wasn’t sure. I decided to go ahead and set the hook any way. WOW that pissed off what ever was on the end of my line because he was taking drag like it wasn’t nothing. I finally turn the fish and bring him into my grasp. Oh yeah, this red would be real close to being over but maybe right at.
My premonition was correct. The fish ARE here. 2 casts later I bring in a nice fat 26”er. OK by this point I am starting to get pissed at the drizzle so I decide to head back in. The fish that I thought were there were. I am happy. Just hope the weather will be like today or better. Come Saturday I will have long johns on. Hope yall had a good time pre-fishing, because I certainly did.

EDITED:Decided to edit the post to show that I am not a complete idiot and actually know spelling and grammar, and forgot that this was a spelling and grammar forum. :oops: And it will not let me put my indentations.
Last edited by goatruckman on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

WARNING!

If you haven't read the above post read this first. You may be tempted to get somethng to drink before you sit back and read that long post. DO NOT do that. But do sit down and read it.

goatruckman - Work on the spelling some. Please use paragraphs. And take some downers before fishing in that tournament because if you get half as excited as you were in this pre-fish they'll think you're on drugs anyway. Great post!
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

It sounds like you got them located, and had a fun day doing it. I hope the fish are there for the S&S. Anyway, good luck.
Treuse Goose

Post by Treuse Goose »

Electric Water Boy wrote:
goatruckman - Work on the spelling some. Please use paragraphs.

I didnt know we were in grammer school here. I know u say great post and all but come on.

Good job Goat
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Treuse Goose wrote:

I didnt know we were in grammer school here. I know u say great post and all but come on.

Good job Goat

No, we're not in grammer school. But spelling does help. And after going back and looking again he did try to use paragraphs. He just needs to hit return twice. Makes it much easier to read.

BTW, it's grammar, not grammer. Grammer is your Mom's Mom. :lol:
Gordo-wannafish

Post by Gordo-wannafish »

Treuse Goose wrote:

Good job Goat

No, we're not in grammer school. But spelling does help. And after going back and looking again he did try to use paragraphs. He just needs to hit return twice. Makes it much easier to read.

BTW, it's grammar, not grammer. Grammer is your Mom's Mom. :lol:

SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking this is a purely fictional report, designed to depress the competition. I bet water boy worked 8 hours and went home to his warm bed! :wink:
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

I was so busy enjoyin the post I didn't even notice. Shaaaaaaaaaame on ya goat for the grammar :lol: . But still a good read. Congrats if it is indeed true. Sounds like you earned them.
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Cyber Yak »

Don't care about the grammer . . . GOOD REPORT ! ! !

WTG GOAT ! ! !

:D :D :D
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

I think WTG even if it is fictional (which I don't think it is).

He'll put fear in those that think it is. He'll put some doubt in those that aren't sure. And those who think it is baloney will stiff have to wonder.
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Cyber Yak »

true or not . . . Still a good report . . . :wink:

Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

You know, come to think of it, he normally post at least one pic with his reports. :wink:

Cyber Yak wrote:true or not . . . Still a good report . . . :wink:

SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

I enjoyed the fishing report nice work. Hope you do well in the tourney.
Gordo-wannafish

Post by Gordo-wannafish »

RedRubi wrote:You know, come to think of it, he normally post at least one pic with his reports. :wink:

Yeah...this time we need a satelite photo...you know, about 10,000 feet with little "x"s where these fish were caught. Just for grins I mean, nothin' else... :P
Crank-B8
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Prefishin for the S and S

Post by Crank-B8 »

goatruckman wrote:I get out my Texas rig, with a 3/8 oz bullet weight, and a 3/0 gamagachu EWG hook and put on a texas roach bass assassin.

That's a winning combination dude. Hey, remind me next time I see you to give you some superline hooks. They work much better for those reds.
potlicker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by potlicker »

here's the million dollar question... what bay system?
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Sorry gang. There was some silly stuff in one or two replys about EWB's comments that needed cleaning. I accidently lost a bunch of other responses that were just fine in the proccess...my bad.

BTW, for those that don't know EWB that went all sideways, I think his comment was kinda tongue in cheek.

For those that contributed the more colorful responses...please read the TKF posting rules. Thanks gang, and again sorry if I axed your reply by accident.

Bird
GulfCoastRods

Post by GulfCoastRods »

Electric Water Boy wrote:I think WTG even if it is fictional (which I don't think it is).

He'll put fear in those that think it is. He'll put some doubt in those that aren't sure. And those who think it is baloney will stiff have to wonder.

ok water boy check your spelling.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

You and some others perceived as me ripping on him, but it is not what I meant. Did I mean that improving his spelling and making paragraphs would make his story easier to read? Yes. But that isn't ripping him. Go back and read where I said I enjoyed the story.

One of the replies I made was deleted. I assume by accident - hope so cause I'm going to try to repost it, but add to it some.

There was question whether this was fictional or not, and whether it was made up just to mess with people before the tournament. Good and fair question. There are no pictures to back it up. So. You have to ask. Is goat as good as he says? It's a fine story. He's posted others. I think it is true. But maybe it isn't. How would you know? Maybe he is just getting in your head. Putting some doubt there. Can you beat this guy? Is he all talk? Did he just get lucky? Is he the real deal?

I think goatruckman's post is the best pre-tournament smack that has ever been posted on this site for all the above reasons.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

GulfCoastRods wrote:
Electric Water Boy wrote:I think WTG even if it is fictional (which I don't think it is).

ok water boy check your spelling.

Yep, I make mistakes too. No big revelation there.
GulfCoastRods

Post by GulfCoastRods »

:lol: :lol: TEAM GULF COAST RODS RULES.

Even in the grammar dept. :lol: :lol: 8)

Great report Goat 8)
goatruckman

Post by goatruckman »

Gordo-wannafish wrote:
I'm thinking this is a purely fictional report, designed to depress the competition.

I can assure you that this is a TRUE report.

northpaw wrote:
Congrats if it is indeed true.

Indeed it is.

RedRubi wrote:
You know, come to think of it, he normally post at least one pic with his reports.

Well, I guess thats true. But the pics are normally from when I get back to the truck and take pictures of a few fish kept.

Gordo-wannafish wrote:
Yeah...this time we need a satelite photo...you know, about 10,000 feet with little "x"s where these fish were caught. Just for grins I mean, nothin' else...

Will this help ya out. If you want to paddle that far be my guess

Photo at 11113 feet

Scubasteve wrote:
Good report Goat, very nice detail in all the right places.

Thanx Steve, see ya at the weigh in!

Electric Waterboy wrote:
Is goat as good as he says?

Ask the people I fish with.

Can you beat this guy?

Sure its possible.

Is he all talk?

Nope

Did he just get lucky?

If luck has to do with looking over the moon, tides, weather, and previous patterns, then, well yes I did just get lucky. Every dog has his day.
:roll:

Is he the real deal?

AS REAL AS THEY GET.

I want to thank everybody that didnt rib me for my report. Those of you know who you are. This is my last report to be given on this site. Why take my time to write something when no one will believe it. I don't take pictures of EVERYTHING like most of yall on this site. Thats one question I had to ask myself. Why do I see reports all the time with pictures of birds, water, boats, kayaks, and such without fish? And when they DO catch a fish they take a pic and tell the world like it's a million dollar fish. You can ask the people i fish with on a regular bassis if I am a modest person. I am pretty sure they will say yes. I love fishing, and will put myself through hell in order to get to the fish. Nothing will ever stop me from getting to the fish, not wind, rain, distance, or paddling a 10 foot kayak. Yes i said 10 foot. I have been paddling a Tarpon 100 and go the distance in it as well. Once again thanks to the people that enjoyed the report.
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Great Thread! Come on GoatTruck please don't be so sensitive! My honesty was questioned more than once when I started catching Mangrove snapper, hell, I just kept catching more and posting the reports.
I've caught flack for poking a little fun at spelling and (jokingly) asking someone for the GPS to their Honey hole that started all kinds of crap! Ain't that right Trailshoe? I just hope we can razz, critisize and dish out some smack without taking it personaly.
Gone Yakin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gone Yakin »

For a second there I though you were going to be cool about it. Then I read the part about you not going to post any more reports. If you can't take a few negative buttheads then maybe you shouldn't. I don't know you but I have no reason to doubt your reports validity, even without pics. All I can say is at least you didn't post a bunch of stupid pics with the background and all of the landmarks whited out....how stupid is that? Sorry you were offended, good luck in your tournament.
TrailShoe

Pre-Fishing

Post by TrailShoe »

Hey, don't let some cabin fever infected fishermen get your goat. Surely, we can all take some ribbing and doubt. We have all been there with catching fish and not taking pictures for many reasons. Your report is good. For you to have paddled 5 miles in those conditions and caught those fish is proof of your determination and stamina. You should do well in the S&S Tournament this weekend. Good luck and tight lines.
TS
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

This is my last report to be given on this site. Why take my time to write something when no one will believe it.

That's disappointing. I'll say it again - I liked the report and I think it is true. But that doesn't matter.

There are only two reasons people should be posting anywhere. First is to share whatever it is they have to share. Second is because they want to. You may be saying "Duh" by now.

Let me tell you why you shouldn't be posting. You shouldn't post to be pleasing someone else. Sure, your post probably will. But if that is your main reason you will be disappointed when it doesn't. With as many people as they are that are resistered on this site and those that visit that aren't, I'll say the obvious again. You can't please everyone. If you try you will fail and be disappointed.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.