Texas Bayou

whatisthat

Texas Bayou

Post by whatisthat »

Went to Texas Bayou this AM. On the water at 9 with an out going tide. It was my first time there and my first time to use a Redfish Majic, in white. Caught a total of 4 reds, 3 at about 20" or so and 1 little one. Also caught a Speck on the Redfish Majic. Then I caught something immovable and broke off, probably shell. That was my one and only RM so I went to soft plastic in various colors including white but caught nothing. The water was pretty muddy but not having been there before I am not sure if this is normal or not. I would like to fish this area when the water level is higher, like a couple of feet higher. This was one of my best days fishing in a while. Im still struggling with finding fish in the colder weather.

W
TrailShoe

Texas Bayou

Post by TrailShoe »

Did you launch at bridge? If so did you go up channel from bridge or take a hard left at bridge and then a right about 200 feet later. Yes the water is usually brown. Sounds like you did okay. There are areas of oyster shell reefs. Very likely that is what took your RM.
FWIW the flounder were active at north levee of sabine lake this afternoon between 12 & 2:30. I didn't have live bait, but watched 3 others with live mullet catching flounder one after another. They were all keepers or better.
TS
whatisthat

Post by whatisthat »

I crossed the bridge and parked near the junk truck. I launched off the bank in that same area. Didnt notice the ramp by the bridge until I was on the water.
I have heard Keith Lake mentioned here several times and got a look at it but didnt make it to the leavy.

W
TrailShoe

Texas Bayou vs Keith Lake

Post by TrailShoe »

You launched same place I did last trip. My question was did you take the main (straight) channel right at bridge to left or the first (winding) channel to left? Keith Lake is a totally different body of water, but I am not sure about your reference to levee??
TS
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I need to get together with someone who knows the area. Me and a buddy went saturday afternoon. All we had to show after about 4 hours was a few croaker and one rat red. Did get the chance to talk to another yaker, at least someone in what was shaped like a yak and completely open like a canoe.
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

Does anyone know the name of the store in Sabine Pass at the four way stop?
whatisthat

Post by whatisthat »

All of the above.
I started off going down the main straight channel. On the way back I went down the large channel with the sunken container. Then came back by the bridge past my truck and kept going down the winding channel. I didnt go real far down the winding channel. Does it open up at some point down there?

W
TrailShoe

Bait shop at 4 way stop

Post by TrailShoe »

I think it is
Sportsmans Supply Sabine Pass TX 77655 US (409) 971-2535
They had fresh dead shrimp and live mud minnow on Saturday when I fished Sea Rim/McFaddin. They also had the usual frozen baits. Squid, Cigar Minnows, etc.
TS
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

The skinny channel south of the bridge winds its way around and opens up some. I have never been all the way down it, I have always stopped where the ditch pours into it from the marsh. this was in my powerboat, so i know that you can float it quite a way in a kayak.

I just spoke to Flatfisher and we are going Wednesday morning, anybody else wants in just holler.
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

So it appears that the only fish caught were on an incoming tide there is debunked. We will give it our best shot Wednesday. Even if I don't catch anything, any day fishing beats a day at work.

I'll let you know if anything turns up.
bing

Post by bing »

I would like to fish this area when the water level is higher, like a couple of feet higher.
based on this graph of anual tide trends, we have till march before the water fills back in