CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE AIR BOAT KIND (PLUS ONE RED)

NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE AIR BOAT KIND (PLUS ONE RED)

Post by NaplesJohn »

Woke up this morning and ignored the forecast for rain, and if it said anything about late morning zero visibility fog with hard rain I totally missed it :shock:

Fished AP area NW of B&R. Started out paddling around 0745, worked my way up on the flats and low-and-behold saw a good amount of fish in three areas. What I caught was not a good indicator of what was there, though I managed one Red about 21 that attacked a DOA. Fish was up in about 15-16" of water along with his buddies. I cast to the edge of the bunch, hoping that they would stick around. When this fish ate it, it looked like an aggressive attack on a topwater! Then he managed to cover an arc of about 180 degrees scattering that bunch, as he splashed and crashed...Stuck around for a while, hoping for a regroup, though it was not to be. Kept working my way south and saw a few more fish (actually saw the muds), had a blow up on a topwater, never a second chance. Finally made it to my planned destination, had pretty good moving water, and some bait around, though not a bite. This is when it starts getting interesting...

Started working my way back towards the car, almost straight into a 10-15 knot and the fog socked in limiting visibility to "not much", lost sight of the launch spot, though knew it was just to the right of straight into the breeze....about this time I hear an air boat (one of a few that were out on the duck hunt game) and it sounds like it is getting closer, at which point it appears behind me on a direct line course towards me, "YIKES" I am a small target, wave the paddle and I guess he saw me and finally turned, though passed fairly close. If this is not enough, now it decides to really rain, reducing visbility to a big ZERO! So a rather soggy paddle back, finally running into land as much as seeing it....mmmm GPS and a compass may be on the horizon!

Still any day on the water is a good day!
Attachments
3 SPOT RED.jpg
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Nice Red and glad you escaped the airboat......that sounded scary!

Congrats on a good fish and on making it back ok!
Flatfisher

Post by Flatfisher »

Hearing a boat coming full tilt with no visibility is very scary. I'm glad you are safe.
TrailShoe

GPS and/or Compass

Post by TrailShoe »

That is a good idea if you fish where you might have to paddle back in fog, rain, etc.
I carry a Garmin Geko 301 with me just in case. I get a waypoint before going out and can use that to get back. Also the Geko 301 is waterproof and has a magnetic compass. Which means you can decide the direction before moving. There are others I am sure that can do this also but, I am Garmin Fan.
TS
NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NaplesJohn »

That is a good idea if you fish where you might have to paddle back in fog, rain, etc.
I carry a Garmin Geko 301 with me just in case. I get a waypoint before going out and can use that to get back. Also the Geko 301 is waterproof and has a magnetic compass. Which means you can decide the direction before moving. There are others I am sure that can do this also but, I am Garmin Fan.

Thanks, I'll look into that unit.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Darned air boats, will scare the heck ot of you. Last weekend I was in the sail boat channel and had a few of them, once one was weaving in & out of the power boats and for a minute I thought he entirely forgot about me. He made a sharp turn almost right on top of me and then the wake ride was on. They ended up making several passes ferrying hunters. There was only a trickle of water on the flats. On the way back in this morning, there was a strong NE wind in Copano. I got my daily exercise, but no fog, rain or close encounters. An air boat did cruise by while I was loading up the yak. Darned air boats, sounds like my thought of an old B-52 bomber at 6:00am.
Backwater Drifter
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Backwater Drifter »

Nice fish I am gald you made it back to the LZ alright. I just recived a GPS from Ladyback Water fo xmas which would help in the fog and at night. However I learend in the winter it would be a good idea to carry a kayak light and something that makes a loud BANG! :lol: :D :D 8) 8)