Yak vs Powerboat.

Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Yak vs Powerboat.

Post by Flatfish »

I mentioned what RJ told me this week. That we have both fished Texas Bayou in powerboats for years and it was always hit or miss, but in a kayak, we always seem to catch reds.

I think that in a kayak, we are moving slower and are looking more so we see more. We see the tails or fins breaking the surface. We see bait jumping or a slight hit on the surface that we would have missed ripping past in a powerboat.

The very noise and vibrations in the water from an outboard probably startles fish that were about to strike. Fish that we otherwise would have missed. The stealth of a kayak allows us to sneak up on their enviornment and makes us see more, as we are putting effort into every stroke, we are less obtrusive and don't spook the fish.

We read the signs because we work for them and don't have the noise to distract us. Sure, we can't cover as much ground, but we cover it a lot more closely, more in tune with the natural enviornment. We work for our fish, we hunt them.

Once I was plodding along hunting rabbits and I thought to myself, "I'll bet you are passing them up right now, not seeing them." I stopped and just looked really closely, really scanning. Sure enough, there was a rabbit frozen, keeping really still trusting his natural camoflage. I nailed him and this taught me a lesson that pertains here.

Kayak fishing makes you slow down and look and hear what is going on around you. Things that you would have missed in a powerboat. So I only brought home two reds. I heard him hit a minnow. I saw him feeding on the shore. I felt what felt like a horse pulling me sideways when I set the hook. I felt the strength of the fish as he struggled in my lap getting the hook out trying to hold him down.

If I hit the Lotto and could afford the biggest, baddest powerboat that there was, I would still paddle my kayak. It puts me at even odds somewhat with the fish, and when I do catch one, I know or feel that I desereved it more. I'm really glad that I discovered this sport.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Some very good points. A good friend who posts here as "Coastal Whaler" once passed along some sage advice to me: "A slow boat can make you a really good fisherman".

Kim
Noneck

Post by Noneck »

very well said, and so true
Wiredhernandez

Post by Wiredhernandez »

Bonuses for each. I have previously owned 3 kayaks and now own a powerboat ... but am looking for a deal on a yak (again) ... Yaks are great for taking it easy and definitely shallow water flats fishing .. if the fish arent around .. I dont really like paddling long distances to find them... Power boats enable you to haul to another spot ... also to take the kids along and watch em have a blast ... when your done .. just throw yak in the garage ... wash the boat run engine ... buy more oil and gas .. etc....

I think the simple answere for me is have both .... ;)

-Adam
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

Don't get me wrong, I still have my powerboat and use it. Like you mentioned about the kids, or in my case Grandkids. This spring I can load them up for a camping trip on a sandbar at Village Creek and even bring firewood, a cooler and everything else.

I like being able to try different spots on Sabine Lake and actually be able to stand up and take a leak when needed.

Last week in Texas Bayou, I spent 7 hours in my kayak and only got out once to do so. When I got back to the ramp, my legs didn't want to work for about ten minutes.

I just got my kayak last summer and other than a few creek floats for fun, I have always been loaded with fishing gear that I didn't want to take a chance on loosing, so I haven't tried sitting side saddle just to alleviate the leg cramps.

This summer, I will put the beer cooler on the sandbar and try moving around, sitting sideways and even standing. I'll do this before consuming too many beers.

My Prowler 13 has the built in foot rests which don't make standing very easy. The Tarpon series that I was looking at had a flat floor, but after weighing all of the differences I went with the Prowler. Both are great boats.
baitbuster

Post by baitbuster »

i agree . ive, owned several boats, went through the trouble of getting my captains license and started guiding for a brief moment. this is my first yak, and have found this style of fishing to more enjoyable, cost efficient and good exercise. i may have a power boat for sale next summer.
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

I think the best option is to have both. And with that said, I like wade fishing out of the PB and Yak. I like to feel the bottom and learn structure of the area I'm fishing. It's almost spiritual. You feel like part of the environment.
txbirdman01

Post by txbirdman01 »

finally, non of my friends fish or enjoy being in the outdoor. i do completely understand what your saying. i consider it a spiritual venture each and everytime im out fishing.
Redfish4me

I have both

Post by Redfish4me »

I have a nice Shallowsport, that is great to load up the yaks in and run to areas that normal yakers and other power boats can't get to, then it is take it easy enjoy the day and do some serious stalking.. 8) 8)