Skunked at Seawolf Park Area

PappaDecker

Skunked at Seawolf Park Area

Post by PappaDecker »

I took my 21 year old daughter out for her first fishing trip on the Bay this morning. We launched at Sea Wolf Park with calm wind and reasonably smooth water. That didn't last long. Drifted down the NE Pelican Flats down past the concrete Ship. The wind was beginning to pick-up and not a bite anywhere. The daughter was trying mud minnows and I tried a variety of Gulps without any luck. So... we (I) decided we ought to go across the channel and try fishing near the Coast Guard Station and try to stay out of the wind. Well 2 miles and an hour later we were fishing near the rocks near the CGS. My daughter made the paddle into the wind with only minor whining. It was a pretty stout effort!

Luck was no better on the other side but the paddle back was sure a lot easier. Except for the fishing pier.... The T-140 is probably 30" wide and the gaps between the pilings must be at least 10 feet. I guess I made it look too easy so my daughter decided to follow and plunked head-on into a piling - only the ego was bruised.

We didn't catch fish but we had a good visit and spent some time before she heads off to finish her senior year in college. I did take a picture of her kicked back out of the wind.
Attachments
My very game daughter.
My very game daughter.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

That's a nice picture of your daughter. It makes a nice Desktop photo.

Most beginners in paddling think paddling through pilings is easy. They forget about the width of the paddle blades. When I first went under a pier, the gap between the pier pilings was about 10 feet wide. The wind pushed me nearer to one piling, but instead of hitting the piling straight on bow first, the side of my yak bounced off of it. I've learned from that experience. When I want to go under a pier now, I get up a good head of steam approaching the pilings and as soon as I start to go under the pier, I quit paddling, turn the paddle so it's parallel to the my yak and glide all the way until I'm out on the the other side of the yak. I've also learned, if the wind is up, to "fudge' to the left or right of the pier pilings so the wind basically lets me glide through the middle between the two pilings depending on which way the wind is blowing towards. This keeps me from hitting the pilings.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Fish or no fish, a day on the water with a daughter is a win for everybody.

WTG, Dad!
Specstalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Specstalker »

Hey I see Ships nearby........any trouble from ship waves????
baitbuster

Post by baitbuster »

i bet she's just happy to get away. nice pic.
PappaDecker

Post by PappaDecker »

Thanks for the comments.. Yes, it was a great just to be out on the water. We did have a few waves. We kept an eye out for each other to give each a heads up when we saw them rolling in. The T140 seems to be very stable and rides them well.