Florida jacks and trout

Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Florida jacks and trout

Post by Chaz »

Was down in North Palm Beach visiting Mom and went to Joh McArthur State Park for some fishing. I rented an OK from the nature center and paddled on the west side of the park - it was about 9:30 am and the wind was honking out of the east. I picked up some Berkley Power baits in menhaden color from Lott's Fishing Tackle along with my 3 day license and was throwing along the mangroves. The water was cool but the sun was warm - so no waders. I was using my 3-piece St Croix trout rod and the usual Shimano with 10 lb test. The St. Croix is a nice rod - it casts good but could put the hurt on the jacks.

This stupid cormorant was hanging around the launch spot so I obliged him and took a picture of him. It added to my enjoyment that I was right on top of him.

Plenty of water - outgoing tide and lots of bait around. The jacks came in and starting crashing bait like crazy and like a crazed gambler I had to throw at them. I probably could have thrown rocks on a hook and hooked one but they obliged me and hung onto the bait for me. 10 minutes later after I gave the folks on the walkway a cheap thrill I pulled in a nice jack. See picture below. This went on until the jacks got tired of it and went some where else to get molested.

The 'cuda came next -they started cutting off the tails on the powerbaits so I put a stinger on the bait and hauled one in for the fun ...and the stink. No picture - it was a baby.

About that time I stung something big and it hauled off into the mangroves like it lived there. I think it was a modest sized snook that caught me napping cause I just couldn't turn it. I worked the mangroves pretty good trying to pull out another hit but Mr. Snook was boycotting me.

I paddled out under the bridge toward Munyon Island and saw something hitting bait right at the color change on an outgoing tide. It looked familiar so I threw into the mix and pulled out a speck - nice sized and good color. I couldn't raise any more so he went back for another day.

By then the tide was going out pretty good and the fish turned off so I called it good and put the kayak back and went looking for a brew.

I was a nice deal to rent the yak - it was $25 for a little under 3 hours.
Attachments
trout small.JPG
trout small.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
jack small.JPG
jack small.JPG (32.68 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
cormorant.JPG
cormorant.JPG (30.83 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Assault the Salt

Post by Assault the Salt »

Thanks for the report, cant wait to get over there and do some fishing..
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

Nice report. I'm still trying to get pulled around by a Jack in my yak.
paulk1987

Post by paulk1987 »

nice fish bro. jacks are so fun to catch!

paul
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Mangroves

Post by Big Perm »

I had a similar experience in Punta Gorda. I love mangrove fishing, I wish they had them here in Galveston.[/img]